Halloween Question

Bob Wingert

For those that do Halloween here's my question. I will be using these colors:

Red - Green - Purple - Orange

Showed the wife the setup tonight and she doesn't think Green belongs in it! I beg to differ. Google of course says that the traditional colors are all that I have listed PLUS black. Well yea, Black...Who does that, HA!

Any input? How about some photo's or video's supporting my Green cause?? Please?!?! I need some backup here :giggle:

Showed the wife the setup tonight and she doesn't think Green belongs in it! I beg to differ. Google of course says that the traditional colors are all that I have listed PLUS black. Well yea, Black...Who does that, HA!

Any input? How about some photo's or video's supporting my Green cause?? Please?!?! I need some backup here :giggle:

Search around these forums. RWertz and RichardH both did nice Halloween displays. And I think one used green and one did not. Riscit also did a nice display, but I don't he used green. Toymakr000 did a nice one as well, but did not do too much with the sequencing of lights - instead, he made some flaming throwing pumkins. It was outstanding, possibly my favorite. I would try to find videos of them and watch each - then decide. But ultimately it's your display - it's whatever you think is best...

http://www.WiltonLights.com/videos/

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=36074&highlight=halloween+video

Edited by B_Regal78

I would say green is a good color to use. My setup isn't animated because it's inside my ride (The Dungeon) but if this was in my front yard, it would be animated and using the colors you mentioned.

Green and blue floods shining up on tombstones or under trees with red behind them or up in the trees/leaves sets off a wicked scene.

Just my thoughts/experience,

I've done halloween since the 80s and have used the whole range of colors with success... the trick is to use them as low lights and strategically so that they create shadows and aren't stark lights like we like to see at Christmas. Last Halloween I used red,green, and blue floods, with orange and purple minis and white strobes. When you say black, it is a halloween color but you do that by having areas go dark briefly which is also very effective

Yep, all those are definitely Halloween colors, but here is my take on the "BLACK LIGHTS", black is an integral part of both blowmolds and lighting, since many blowmolds have black paint or plastic, but I also feel that the BLACK IS IN REFERENCE TO BLACK LIGHTS(not actual lights painted black, but those that look very dark purple, almost black when off, also called Ultra-Violet Lights), the type that makes Glow in the Dark paint really shine (all my tombstones are painted with Glow in the Dark paint) and illuminated with flourescent black light fixtures. Really makes them stand out too, especially when all the other lights dim or go dark.

But here's the colors that I have used for the last two years (instead of strobe lights outside), BRIGHT WHITE LEDS are also an integral part of my "Cemetery scene", where when they flash off and on quickly can actually look better than a strobe and even used for lightning type effects too. (I use ground stakes and just string the lights around all the tombstones and is the main reason for cutting my 50 count Bright White LED strings to 25 count strings). Didn't have LOR last year, used a Mr. Christmas 4 channel wireless on the Halloween setting, but when the BRIGHT WHITE LED's kicked in, they really set the cemetery scene, and when the *low lying fogger went off *(used dry ice in it), it was just downright eerie between the black lights and the bright white leds simulating lightning.

So I use Bright White LEDs, Orange LEDs, Flourescent Black Light tubes (2 x 24"), actual strobe lights (inside house), and even a few incandescents in my display. If I can find or get some Purple LEDs and Green LEDs this year, they will also get added to the mix. And this year will be my very first Halloween not only with LOR, but with some really nice and awesome HALLOWEEN BLOWMOLDS, as well as some of my older not as awesome, but still pretty cool Halloween blowmolds as well as all my other Halloween decor.

Probably have just as much Halloween as I do Christmas!

Edited by LOR-CF

I use green spotlights to light up the fromt of the house. The gutters have 3"spaced orange LED's. Tiki torches across the front of the house.

The pumpkins, 1500 watts of flood lights in blue and white for lightning, and of course the Flaming Jack-O-Lanterns.

http://www.bazillionlights.com/History/Halloween2009.html

My display is static... primarily showcasing my blowmolds... but I do consider green an ESSENTIAL Halloween color!

Green vines, green pumpkin stems, green monsters, green witch faces, scary green eyes, green ooze, eerie green mist rising from a caudron... etc... etc....

I would say that obviously orange and black steal the show at Halloween... but I would argue that green is even more important than purple as an accessory color in Halloween decorating! :D

LOR-CF: Do you have a picture of your Bright Whites snaking on the ground around your tombstones?

Because the Bright White LED's were used for strobing and lightning effects, there are areas where they covered that was just open area. This year, I'm going to try some different methods to see how they'll work out. With LOR, I have better control and faster flashes than I did with my Mr. Christmas unit, so I think this year will look and be presented even better!

And a few more pics (2nd response):

BTW: it looks much better in person, these photo's don't really do the effects justice.

Edited by LOR-CF

Thanks for all the replies! Im gonna definitely do the green. What I've found in testing this out @ night in the yard is to; dim down the green between 30-50% intensity. It casts off a brilliant glow giving an eerie feeling. Also the green floods in the right spot work wonders too. I shoulda just tested all this to begin with, but wanted to see how everyone used 'green' in their displays.

Good thing about it only being late February is I have plenty of time to set up and tear down to get the right look/feel. This is a blast! I'm way too hooked now to turn back :121_reindeer:

One thing to remember for lighting for Halloween.

Keeping it dark and the color you want is not always simple!!!!

Experimentation is good as well as setup and test before you need it.

I learned that when you have flood lighting on the house then individual items lit as well, make sure that the foreground items' lighting does not shine through to the background lighting.

If it's the same color it's ok, but if it's not your back ground will wash out. It wil wash out towards white color. It makes sense when someone tells you but it didn't sink in until I saw it for myself.

• 11 months later...