Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Blowmold collector 55

I Bought a TPI Pumpkin Post!!!!!!!!

If it didn't work all would not be lost, my wife makes a fantastic pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread!!:)

Dang, now I'm getting hungry....

Mel

Mel, this is for you..;)

1.jpg

That would look cool and I think you should try it. Failing that, maybe swap in another small pumpkin blow mold.

I forgot to add that swapping in another small pumpkin blow mold is not an option for me, you know that I am one of the "purists" and can't do that. Are you trying to tempt me to commit a "purists" unpardonable sin in the blow mold world? :eek:

Mel

I forgot to add that swapping in another small pumpkin blow mold is not an option for me, you know that I am one of the "purists" and can't do that. Are you trying to tempt me to commit a "purists" unpardonable sin in the blow mold world? :eek:

Mel

I do know that..you always have been. :)

Clay, really? The shipping bothers you? Not meant to offend anyone but I just look at shipping as part of the overall cost. It can't be helped so I don't sweat it. When I can pick one up locally or get one from a friend, its great, otherwise, its just part of the deal. I do tend to avoid ebay sellers that purposely overcharge on shipping, but most of them are good to deal with.

Carrie, the reason I do not look at the shipping as the "overall" cost is because if many of these were still available or could be bought locally in retail, you'd pay a lot less and not be paying these shipping charges. So, no, I do not consider shipping costs a part of the cost of the blowmold, nor will I ever consider shipping a part of the actual blowmold costs. But that's just how I perceive it. And besides, if the shipping costs were way out there, I pass on buying the blowmold and I have passed up quite a lot because of not only shipping costs, but some blowmolds I had as a kid that sold for $3.99-$5.99 selling for $50+ (window sill types), I wouldn't touch those at all, even with free shipping, I just can't see paying that much for a "very small" window or table top decoration either.

So I'm not as much as a collector as a lot here because I'd never pay some of the prices I see on these, no matter how much I wanted it or how bad I really wanted it, my common sense tells me, if it's too costly, let someone else have it. It's not for me, not at this time anyway.

Now for the topic of the TPI Pumpkin Post, I'm still watching and on the prowl for those TPI Skull Posts in local thrift stores or garage sales as well as some online sites.

But, then again, depending on price (and who has them) and shipping costs, wether or not I would buy them!

................. I just look at shipping as part of the overall cost. It can't be helped so I don't sweat it. When I can pick one up locally or get one from a friend, its great, otherwise, its just part of the deal. I do tend to avoid ebay sellers that purposely overcharge on shipping, but most of them are good to deal with.

Carrie,

I look at this the same way you do! It's just part of the cost.

I feel that it depends on where you live also. If your in the Mid West (Menard Country) or the North East,then your more likely to find molds at yard sales. In the South... then it is a different story. The only molds available are the newer Walmart ones or a very few early ones that were sold at Sears or "mom & pop" stores...few and far between. So if you want molds then you must pay the price and have them shipped in. As you know I built a large collection having to do it that way. Yard sales at times... shipped in most of the time... and swaps at PLUS and Mini-PLUS. You have the travel expenses for the PLUS & MP.

You must do the best that you can to put it all together at the best price you can. As Mel said, you must try to achieve your ultimate goal.

I guess that is why I don't have enough TPI Pumpkin Post. Mine are all home made. In that area I guest I'm not a "purist" Yes, I do think out of the box at times..Just ask my other half-LOL!

Bill M

Edited by Bill Miller

Now for the topic of the TPI Pumpkin Post, I'm still watching and on the prowl for those TPI Skull Posts in local thrift stores or garage sales as well as some online sites.

But, then again, depending on price (and who has them) and shipping costs, wether or not I would buy them!

I am not familiar with a TPI Skull Post, are you referring the Grand Venture one, or did TPI make one also. My records show that TPI introduced their Halloween line in 1991 and I do not see any information about a skull post between 1991 and 2005. Possibly I am missing something in my files?

TPI introduced their #5805 Pumpkin on a Post as new in 1997 and continued it until they closed in January 2005, it is a different design from the Sun Hill and GV one.

I have no information on the GV Skull Post either but am thinking that they probably got the molds for it from Sun Hill along with the Sun Hill Pumpkin Post molds.

Mel

Guest A.F.NUT

Mel

Don't worry Mel you are not alone I can't do that either, can't even mix Nativity sets.

Tom

So I'm not as much as a collector as a lot here because I'd never pay some of the prices I see on these, no matter how much I wanted it or how bad I really wanted it, my common sense tells me, if it's too costly, let someone else have it. It's not for me, not at this time anyway.

But that's true with anything in the free market. If a Ferrari was the same price as a Chevy, nobody would buy the Chevy. If Galaxia cost the same as a single LOR controller, most of us would have Galaxia in our displays. We all put a value on how much different things are worth to us, and that differs from person to person. And for a lot of people (like me anyway) it has very little to do with whether you can 'afford' it (e.g., is the money in the bank account).

As for shipping - the fact is that online, you have to treat it as part of the purchase price. Some of the shopping aggregators (like cnet) do this for you automatically if you enter your zip code. Folks use high shipping costs to get around eBay fees (and eBay does very little about it) and also to get people bidding and make the item 'feel' cheaper. That's not going to just go away, like it or not...

Guest A.F.NUT

Mel, I remember that soooo well..I paid $250 for a Poloron Blond..Bill very graciously called me and said he would let me have it and wouldn't bid. It was pretty much a case of waiting until he was "done". :giggle:

I remember those days, wasen't around here then but wasen't new to ebay. I could not believe how high some went. I was patient, I waited I am glad I did! I got them adventually, I think the highest I payed for my Poloron blond was $200 the rest were well under that. Now it's hard to believe how low they are going for.

Tom

Carrie, the reason I do not look at the shipping as the "overall" cost is because if many of these were still available or could be bought locally in retail, you'd pay a lot less and not be paying these shipping charges. So, no, I do not consider shipping costs a part of the cost of the blowmold, nor will I ever consider shipping a part of the actual blowmold costs. But that's just how I perceive it. And besides, if the shipping costs were way out there, I pass on buying the blowmold and I have passed up quite a lot because of not only shipping costs, but some blowmolds I had as a kid that sold for $3.99-$5.99 selling for $50+ (window sill types), I wouldn't touch those at all, even with free shipping, I just can't see paying that much for a "very small" window or table top decoration either.

Clay, the problem with your logic is that these blow molds cannot be bought any longer, they are history, gone, and not likely to ever been manufactured again. If you were into antiques, take an authentic Chippendale Highboy, you could buy them when new for less than $50. Today, that highboy is going to cost you over $2K. When you buy a car, the dealership adds in their costs for taking delivery..which includes shipping. When you go to any retail store, you are also paying for shipping. That is how retail works..those costs are not broken out when they put the price tags on, but the shipping/transportation costs are factored in to the retail cost, you just don't see them. So that is why I maintain the view that shipping is part of the cost. Whether or not someone is willing to pay it is the question.

My next question to you would be, where are you seeing "windowsill" type blow molds for $50? I'm not and I monitor ebay almost daily.

No, I guess you're not, which is fine, we're all different ;)

I've never seen a TPI skull post, do you have a picture or any other information?

Clay, as I've said on this board many times in the past..a blow mold is only worth what an individual is willing to pay. For me, I will pay some big bucks (what I consider big bucks and what someone else does..obviously varies) for those that I want. But, I am a collector and am fairly hard core about it too.

Please don't take my comments as argumentative, they aren't. This is simply a discussion and nothing more.

Guest A.F.NUT

I look at the same way, if it's one that I want, the shipping makes no difference to me, I am not going to run to Walmart and pick it up, if you want it you pay that's pretty much it. I have some that I payed a stupid amount of money for but I wanted them and I now have them. But there are some that I won't pay a lot for it just depends on the mold and my mood. The Empire proto type duck is an example I wanted it and I had every intention of winning it, luckily it didn't go as high as I thought, but some things are just not going to come along every day. We all have our mission, am I a hard core collector? I don't know, not exactly sure what makes you a serious collector, but I think I'm pretty close.

Tom

I remember those days, wasen't around here then but wasen't new to ebay. I could not believe how high some went. I was patient, I waited I am glad I did! I got them adventually, I think the highest I payed for my Poloron blond was $200 the rest were well under that. Now it's hard to believe how low they are going for.

Tom

hi tom

i can't believe it either that they are going that low, but that is where i took advantage of building my poloron and beco choir peeps on ebay.

gary

............... if you want it you pay that's pretty much it. I have some that I payed a stupid amount of money for but I wanted them and I now have them. .... The Empire proto type duck is an example I wanted it and I had every intention of winning it, ...... We all have our mission, am I a hard core collector? I don't know, not exactly sure what makes you a serious collector, but I think I'm pretty close.

Tom

Tom.....I think what you posted goes a long way in making you a hard core collector.

I guess most people would think I'm a hard core molder (Just ask Carrie,Mel, Brad and a few others). If I want a special mold and I think I can make the dollar bid then stand back and watch me go after it. I've been known to come on strong for some molds-LOL. Ask Carrie how many times I butted my head against the wall after buying the near mint Poloron AA Choir boy still in wrap and box. It sometimes still makes me question the bid, but I also still look at it at times and smile because it is all mine. And yes, I have even displayed it for a short time!

Bill M

Edited by Bill Miller

My next question to you would be, where are you seeing "windowsill" type blow molds for $50? I'm not and I monitor ebay almost daily.

Here you go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/60s-Halloween-plastic-Light-14-Skeleton-blow-mold-2_W0QQitemZ220154472441QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item33423aa7f9 ($120.00 has light cord/$14.00 shipping)

http://cgi.ebay.com/60s-Halloween-plastic-Light-14-Skeleton-blow-mold-1_W0QQitemZ220126300964QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item33408ccb24 ($96.00 no light cord/$14 shipping)

Now I had these as a kid, paid $1.59 each for them at the time, now I would 't mind owning these again, and I've seen them for a LOT less too, and these are what I consider "window sill"/"tabletop" blowmolds, lit by 1 C7 bulb. Even though they may not be made any longer, I, myself wouldn't pay over $15.00 for one of these skeleton blowmolds, $10.00 without the light cord. I sure as heck would not pay $96-$120 as the two ebay links above have them listed for.

So you've missed these then Carrie, they've been on e-bay for a little while now.

BTW: I don't take your counterpoints as argumentive, and I have worked in retail and retail stores many times get by without shipping charges on items they sell (I used to work in accounting for a retail chain and I know some of what goes on behind the scenes that others don't). So that's why prices you see on the same item on the internet may be the same or even lower in a retail store. And I know some blowmolds are no longer available and can understand their value being more, especially if they can not be made any longer and/or the company that makes them is no longer in business, like with some things, prices go up with age, but then, there are some the pricing goes down too. Just the nature of things.

As for the TPI Skull posts someone asked about, I saw a photo somewhere here on PC and thought the person said they were TPI, I just checked to be sure, my error, they are Grand Venture, not TPI. Sorry about that, but there are just too many blowmolds to keep up with to try and remember who makes what!

I'm no collector and I really could care less who made it, that is not what is important to me, what is important is: price, do I like it(how it looks), and do I really want it. If I don't like the look of it, I won't buy it, that is if it is not appealing to me, then I leave it. And everyone has their own taste and styles. I don't buy these for value or collecting, I buy them to use in my displays and to modify them for better lighting, if I so choose to do so, in any manner I choose to do it.

Edited by LOR-CF

Here you go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/60s-Halloween-plastic-Light-14-Skeleton-blow-mold-2_W0QQitemZ220154472441QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item33423aa7f9 ($120.00 has light cord/$14.00 shipping)

http://cgi.ebay.com/60s-Halloween-plastic-Light-14-Skeleton-blow-mold-1_W0QQitemZ220126300964QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item33408ccb24 ($96.00 no light cord/$14 shipping)

Now I had these as a kid, paid $1.59 each for them at the time, now I would 't mind owning these again, and I've seen them for a LOT less too, and these are what I consider "window sill"/"tabletop" blowmolds, lit by 1 C7 bulb. Even though they may not be made any longer, I, myself wouldn't pay over $15.00 for one of these skeleton blowmolds, $10.00 without the light cord. I sure as heck would not pay $96-$120 as the two ebay links above have them listed for.

So you've missed these then Carrie, they've been on e-bay for a little while now.

Nope, I didn't miss them Clay..I've bought from that Seller before, they tend to be a bit ambitious on pricing. When you said $50, that is where I was stumped! :D

BTW: I don't take your counterpoints as argumentive, and I have worked in retail and retail stores many times get by without shipping charges on items they sell (I used to work in accounting for a retail chain and I know some of what goes on behind the scenes that others don't). So that's why prices you see on the same item on the internet may be the same or even lower in a retail store. And I know some blowmolds are no longer available and can understand their value being more, especially if they can not be made any longer and/or the company that makes them is no longer in business, like with some things, prices go up with age, but then, there are some the pricing goes down too. Just the nature of things.

Cool! We have that in common then..I was a Divisional Manager for a large retail chain based here in Chicago for 15 years. I guess it was done differently where you worked, because transportation costs were always a factor here.

As for the TPI Skull posts someone asked about, I saw a photo somewhere here on PC and thought the person said they were TPI, I just checked to be sure, my error, they are Grand Venture, not TPI. Sorry about that, but there are just too many blowmolds to keep up with to try and remember who makes what!

Stick around..you'll learn them as time goes on.

I'm no collector and I really could care less who made it, that is not what is important to me, what is important is: price, do I like it(how it looks), and do I really want it. If I don't like the look of it, I won't buy it, that is if it is not appealing to me, then I leave it. And everyone has their own taste and styles. I don't buy these for value or collecting, I buy them to use in my displays and to modify them for better lighting, if I so choose to do so, in any manner I choose to do it.

That's also cool, we have that in common too..I don't buy blow molds for "value" either..that is never in my thinking. I will use every mold I have in my displays..there is nothing that I own that won't go out..with only two exceptions.

Nice talking to you. It's always good to share different viewpoints.:D

That's also cool, we have that in common too..I don't buy blow molds for "value" either..that is never in my thinking. I will use every mold I have in my displays..there is nothing that I own that won't go out..with only two exceptions.

What are the two exceptions, out of curiosity?

I have many molds that will never go out. I have been collecting molds for 30 years now. I picked up a Beco Bell sometime in the late 70s at a flea market for .25 cents! I picked up a NIB Poloron animated snow man and Santa for $50 each from stores about 15 years ago. I had every intention of displaying these when I had my own place to do so. Now that I do, they are worth too much to ever put out. They are NIB and completely irreplaceable should they be damaged or stolen.

I have only "outlandishly over paid" for 1, and only 1 blow mold. And that is the only blow mold that I will likely ever do that for.

I have paid somewhat of a premium for some I really wanted, but I look at it this way....I work 40+ hours a week + 2 hour daily commute. I really have no desire to spend my entire weekend running around to auctions and garage sales. I consider the slightly higher price on Ebay to simply be a finders or convenience fee.

On the other hand, I have lucked into some really great deals. I think all in all, I've done pretty well.

What are the two exceptions, out of curiosity?

QUOTE]

My Union Elves (injection molded) will never go out..and my Beco Church (no picture available). Many of the plaques I have will not go out either as well as the vacucells. But the rest of the molds will..and do when its their turn! :giggle:

attachment.php?attachmentid=30349&stc=1&d=1266936843

post-95-129571202579_thumb.jpg

Guest A.F.NUT

Carrie, I guess that is one way we differ, I have so many molds that I just can't bear to put outside, a lot of my Beco choir angels and singers and so many other older ones, the Vacucel and flatbacks too. A lot of these I purchased in like new condition some were in their boxes and were never outdoors so I just can't do that to them, they get used inside and rotated from year to year so it's not like they are never used, to not use them at all does seem pointlless. And I figure I have plenty for outside for others to enjoy anyway.

Tom

I would consider most of us blowmolder hardcore collectors. If I want a blowmold, I will get it. To think 4 years my mom paid 250+shipping for a Taz...now they sell for hardly 100. Oh well! I have and its the only one in town! So I'm a happy camper! I don't get discourage for any price that I've paid or underpaid. More then half of my blowmolds I think I bought for great prices, especially the union molds! I know this beautiful mold will never see the outside again!

I would consider most of us blowmolder hardcore collectors. If I want a blowmold, I will get it. To think 4 years my mom paid 250+shipping for a Taz...now they sell for hardly 100. Oh well! I have and its the only one in town! So I'm a happy camper! I don't get discourage for any price that I've paid or underpaid. More then half of my blowmolds I think I bought for great prices, especially the union molds! I know this beautiful mold will never see the outside again!

hi buddy

if i ever put mine outside it will be under a overhang on the house or on the front porch chain to the house, that way i can keep a eye out for them. never had any problems yet live in a small town, but you never can be to careful. :)

gary

Hmmm interesting concept not counting shipping in the cost of a mold or any item. Like buying a santa/train for 120 and paying 100 to ship it. Thats fine and all if you are just trying to make yourself feel better over what youve spent. Just dont apply that to business : ) If it comes out of your account then it counts as a cost of an item. I guess thats just the bookie in me lol I'm sure our customers would prefer we didnt charge them the shipping charges for items they order, but we do : )

You definitely need to include shipping in your overall cost. Just as you need to include time and gas, wear and tear on your car, etc, when you pick up a Craigslist find or garage sale-ing.

It's kinda sad really...We have all these wonderful molds that will likely never be made again, from an era gone by, that we stash away to protect them from the weather and vandals, so they will never be seen by the public again, which runs contrary to the spirit in which they were made in the first place.

You definitely need to include shipping in your overall cost. Just as you need to include time and gas, wear and tear on your car, etc, when you pick up a Craigslist find or garage sale-ing.

It's kinda sad really...We have all these wonderful molds that will likely never be made again, from an era gone by, that we stash away to protect them from the weather and vandals, so they will never be seen by the public again, which runs contrary to the spirit in which they were made in the first place.

I agree..that is why I display my molds. It's definitely a risk and I sleep with one eye open during display season. I don't relish the idea that I'll get ripped off again or have someone vandalize my display.. but I'm willing to take that risk. I'm not buying them only for my own pleasure..more than half the fun is sharing these wonderful old molds with others.

A couple of years ago, a bus tour was here. That tour was filled with mature adults, ranging in age from 50s to 70s. I was asked to come out and talk to the people on the bus. It was fantastic seeing their eyes light up, asking questions about them and all the rest. But what really stuck were the constant comments remarking about how these brought back so many memories from when these folks were younger.

No way I can keep them in storage, I'll never forget those people.

As to the weather..it doesn't bother me..I can repaint them if and when its necessary. :D

I agree..that is why I display my molds. It's definitely a risk and I sleep with one eye open during display season. I don't relish the idea that I'll get ripped off again or have someone vandalize my display.. but I'm willing to take that risk. I'm not buying them only for my own pleasure..more than half the fun is sharing these wonderful old molds with others.

A couple of years ago, a bus tour was here. That tour was filled with mature adults, ranging in age from 50s to 70s. I was asked to come out and talk to the people on the bus. It was fantastic seeing their eyes light up, asking questions about them and all the rest. But what really stuck were the constant comments remarking about how these brought back so many memories from when these folks were younger.

No way I can keep them in storage, I'll never forget those people.

As to the weather..it doesn't bother me..I can repaint them if and when its necessary. :D

Carrie I have to agree with you, I display my molds outside, even the rare ones, i just keep those closer to the house LOL I have had many people from around my area asking if they could walk through my display and of course i say yes, they are full of questions and I try to answer them all, collecting these wonderful christmas decorations from a bygone era brings me joy and I love to share that joy with others ! Frank