flux core welding?

mattera68

I dont really do that much welding and dont know anything about welders, but i would like to make some stars and maybe some other stuff as my display grows. When I need to do some real welding on the racecar or whatever, my brother has a Lincoln and can weld pretty good, and my other brother just bought a Hobart, both Migs. I know everybody says " you get what you pay for" but I found this flux core welder from Northern Tool and thought for the price i could do some small welding projects, what do you think?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200403263_200403263&issearch=628575

Actually its $20 cheaper in the book I got the other day.

Edited by mattera68

The flux core welders are fine if you don't mind cleaning the weld after you are done, much like an arch welder. I do some welding in the field of work I am in and love to mig weld. So much easier in the long run. The Model from Northern Model 135 would be just fine for what you are describing that you need one for. But then again if you don't mind cleaning the slag get the flux core welder.

Either way you go have fun and make sure to practice with whatever you get.

personally i would stay away from the flux core because like stated above you will have to chip all of the slag off of your welds when you are done and if you don't get it in enough time it will harden on there. i personally like to mig weld better, it usuall gives a better outcome and is great of small little things.

• 3 years later...

I use both Flux Core and MIG with my welder(Lincoln 185/220VAC) and yes the cleanup with Flux Core is much greater, but as long as you don't do long welds(run full trigger for a long time) that welder should do everything that you want to do. If you do long welds, it will do a shut-down from over temp....down fall of the 115VAC welders. If you added another $100 or so to that, you could have a MIg/Flux Core combo and go up to the 220VAC welder and I think you will be much happier with it then the 115VAC. But if money is tight and you don't do much welding, it would be fine.