LED tubes

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just received four of them a couple of weeks ago. Got them off of e-bay, need to do your homework on pricing. I've been "burning in" two since Friday evening. They dim great and will certainly cause "retina burn" with their brightness. The 48 cm strip was $1.00 with 2.25 shipping from China. Arrived in less than 2 weeks. I can see why they call them "neon tubes", do to their tight spacing, once you get back 20-30 feet they look like a piece of neon tube. They are very flexible and can easily bend tighter than 60 deg angle. My only reservation is the fact the dealers claim that you can reuse any cut pieces of multiples of 3. I have tired to cut them yet, less try to remove the silicone type casing to be able to solder wires. Will be placing an order for yellow to make some stars for (4) new trees and may consider putting them on a couple wireframes in lieu of painting the rope light.

Hope this helps

DaveH, I can't find them that cheap on ebay. Can you tell me the vendor's name?

-jds

I found that you have to vary your search criteria, look under automotive and general areas

12v LED strip light

12v LED flexible light

hope this helps

here are yellow 24 leds

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300398464125&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

here are pure white ones being tested now

Seller:auto_lamp ( 6214iconGreenStar_25x25.gif) iconStoresNW_20x20.gif

Contact seller

iconSuccess_16x16.gifPaid on Feb-03-10 via PayPal

48CM 48 LED Linear Flexible Strip Car Light 12V White

320476413066 - Price: US $1.00 Quantity:s.gif4

Standard Flat Rate Shipping Service: US $7.92

US $4.00

Subtotal:US $4.00

s.gifShipping & handling:US $7.92

s.gifTotal:US $11.92

s.gif

Josh

Here is another one I just bought but hasn't arrived yet. They are the SMD style (surface mounted). Also a good price.

Was thinking of outlining some mini trees with the flexible LED strips and using these SMD in the "field" portion of each side. These are also available in R G B

Seller:tech-business889 ( 844iconPurpleStar_25x25.gif) iconStoresNW_20x20.gif

Contact seller

GREEN-12V 60cm Flexible Waterproof SMD LED Light Strip

320489083744 - Price: US $2.25 Quantity:s.gif1

Standard Flat Rate Shipping Service: FREE Estimated delivery: Varies*

Seller ships within 3 days. You can contact the seller for more information.

US $2.25

Hey guys just wondering how I could light some of these tubes without LOR. They say a 12 volt DC. But what would I need exactly and how much would that run. I was thinking of using these on my garage as spot lighting.

thanks.

You need a DC controller and 12v power supply to make it happen.

How much you think i am looking at. Do you have a link for what i would need.

You looking easily at $1000-2000....:giggle:

Seriously, I use d-light and their DC controller is $99 dollars. I would assume LOR DC controller is around the same. Then you need a 12v power supply which you can get from an old computer and I'm sure someone here has instruction on how to do that or you can get get a new one for like $20-30...maybe less.

Hey guys just wondering how I could light some of these tubes without LOR. They say a 12 volt DC. But what would I need exactly and how much would that run. I was thinking of using these on my garage as spot lighting.

thanks.

If all you are interested in is a simple "on - off" scenario for these light strips, then a regular 12v wall wart will power them.

Does anyone know if these have the 3m backing on them?

I found that you have to vary your search criteria, look under automotive and general areas

12v LED strip light

12v LED flexible light

hope this helps

here are yellow 24 leds

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300398464125&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

here are pure white ones being tested now

Seller:auto_lamp ( 6214iconGreenStar_25x25.gif) iconStoresNW_20x20.gif

Contact seller

iconSuccess_16x16.gifPaid on Feb-03-10 via PayPal

48CM 48 LED Linear Flexible Strip Car Light 12V White

320476413066 - Price: US $1.00 Quantity:s.gif4

Standard Flat Rate Shipping Service: US $7.92

US $4.00

Subtotal:US $4.00

s.gifShipping & handling:US $7.92

s.gifTotal:US $11.92

s.gif

I've had no problems lighting LEDs using a DC transformer (wal-wart) and using a standard AC LOR controller to fade, twinkle and everything else.

While I haven't done these particular LEDs, I've modified other LED products and haven't had one problem.

I've modified Greg's RWR LEDs, DMX LEDs strobes (bypassing the DMX as well) and MR16 LEDs with DC wal-warts and connected them to the standard AC LOR units. They perform great without the need for a DC controller.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

Tom

thanks.

I just ordered 14 strips of the 24cm bright white. I love that these are "directional" one of the things that I wanted to improve on over last year was the amount of color wash that came off of my arches. You couldn't even see the snowflakes falling down the front of the house, it was too bright. The strips I ordered are about 9 inches long. 8.5" spacing between firefli pixels. Anyone getting where I'm going with this?

No, I think pictures, drawings, and written instructions will be required.

I want to make sure it will work like I want it to. I'll post pics in a "how to" when I'm finished with it, just like my mini arches. I'm interested to see what all you have plans for with all your orders as well. Do please share. I think it's gonna be a while with the international shipping.

I want to make sure it will work like I want it to. I'll post pics in a "how to" when I'm finished with it, just like my mini arches. I'm interested to see what all you have plans for with all your orders as well. Do please share. I think it's gonna be a while with the international shipping.

:giggle: I think you missed my sarcasm.

As far as what I'm doing with them. I ordered red, blue and green. What else could I be using those 3 colors for besides making something red, blue, or green or maybe......hmmmm :rolleyes: