LED tubes

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting thread. I'll tell you what I'm thinking . . . these may make some nice arches. Any thoughts on that? My thought was, these would probably be lighter than regular strings in terms of stability of a PVC arch, maybe brighter (is that what I am to understand?), these may be cheaper than using 100 ct LED strings, and cheaper altogether since DC controllers are a bit less expensive than AC controllers.

So those who have these in your hands, could you mount them end-to-end without a gap (thus making for a nice arch)? Are there reasons this would not work well? I'm actually liking this plan.

(By the way, I'm north of Chicago and at least know where Kankakee is)

Interesting thread. I'll tell you what I'm thinking . . . these may make some nice arches. Any thoughts on that? My thought was, these would probably be lighter than regular strings in terms of stability of a PVC arch, maybe brighter (is that what I am to understand?), these may be cheaper than using 100 ct LED strings, and cheaper altogether since DC controllers are a bit less expensive than AC controllers.

So those who have these in your hands, could you mount them end-to-end without a gap (thus making for a nice arch)? Are there reasons this would not work well? I'm actually liking this plan.

(By the way, I'm north of Chicago and at least know where Kankakee is)

That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm making firefli mini arches to replace my minis from last year. I loved the size, but even at 18" tall positioned 25 feet from the house, with 1,000 bright white LEDs it they lit up the entire side of the house and washed out a lot of my other lights. I got the idea to make them directional when dmoore mentioned that his coro arches didn't shine backwards, only out. I ordered the 9" strips and am going to put one between each pixel of the firefli string. I like the size of my mini arches so I'm splitting the firefli into two arches per pixel string. That will give me 8 pixels per arch with 7 segments between them. (I have to have odd channels on an arch, I like the one centered on top) and I'm tentatively planning on running them DC. I may just solder in the resistors to run them 120V 1/2 wave if I don't order the extra controller. If I like the way they look, the strips are thin enough I may add an extra color as well. I'm gonna put a few together and see how they look, if I don't like it, I'll figure out something else to use them on.

I got the idea to make them directional when dmoore mentioned that his coro arches didn't shine backwards, only out.

This was a major issue in my display and I'm surprised that more people don't mention it. Here is my display: http://www.vimeo.com/8212552 in the first song you can clearly see the floods washed out by the "360" arches. Plus, it also wastes power and bulbs. So, "cheap" arches really do have a high cost.

I like your idea about driving DC strings and cutting our controllers costs in half.

• 2 weeks later...

Josh

Here is another one I just bought but hasn't arrived yet. They are the SMD style (surface mounted). Also a good price.

Was thinking of outlining some mini trees with the flexible LED strips and using these SMD in the "field" portion of each side. These are also available in R G B

Seller:tech-business889 ( 844iconPurpleStar_25x25.gif) iconStoresNW_20x20.gif

Contact seller

GREEN-12V 60cm Flexible Waterproof SMD LED Light Strip

320489083744 - Price: US $2.25 Quantity:s.gif1

Standard Flat Rate Shipping Service: FREE Estimated delivery: Varies*

Seller ships within 3 days. You can contact the seller for more information.

US $2.25

I've been testing the green SMD flex strip for about a week now. Functions great on ramps, dims down to about 4-7% before shutting down...not bad. All of the other effects work great too.

When viewed from the front bedroom window to the curb (about 50ft) the only difference is the SMD strip has an appearance of LED rope light where the flexible "neon" tube does look like continuous neon. This may not have been a fair comparison since they were different colors (creen vs. pure white). The major difference was the flexiblity. The SMD strip bends great from front to back but so much on a flat radius. The "neon tube" is like a slinky, bend it all directions even at the time.

It appears that they must be catching on with people cause the prices are starting to creap up.

When viewed from the front bedroom window to the curb (about 50ft) the only difference is the SMD strip has an appearance of LED rope light where the flexible "neon" tube does look like continuous neon.

Dave, can you clarify which auction/seller has the "neon" tube look? They all look SMD to me. Is it the spacing of the LEDs that makes the difference?

Thanks,

I'm guessing he is comparing it to this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320476413066

from post #5...

Bob

Yes, the light strip on the above link are also refered to "neon' or "neon tubes" the LEDs are at 1cm on center. The SMD light strip I received last week are 2cm on center. The SMD has a wider beam spread but the "Neon" strips also radiate light through their PVC shroud.

Bob

Yes, the light strip on the above link are also refered to "neon' or "neon tubes" the LEDs are at 1cm on center. The SMD light strip I received last week are 2cm on center. The SMD has a wider beam spread but the "Neon" strips also radiate light through their PVC shroud.

Dave,

Thanks for clarifying. That's the answer I was looking for.

Thanks again,

Are they pure white or warm white that you ordered? And where did you order them from? I'm liking the arch idea more and more with these.

Thanks.

OK, after three weeks they finally got here. Wasn't expecting them to be so small but man are they bright! From about 10' away they really do look like a neon tube. The LEDs look to be about 3/8" on center and the beam angle is wide enough they do appear continuous. They are very flexible and the rubber/silicon like substance they are coated in looks very waterproof. I haven't started any underwater tests or ramping fading effects yet, still waiting to order the D/C boards, but I will post results when I get around to it. For now, here are a few pics.

attachment.php?attachmentid=30783&d=1269010398

attachment.php?attachmentid=30784&d=1269010398

OK, after three weeks they finally got here. Wasn't expecting them to be so small but man are they bright!

Yes, they are bright little suckers. The red, blue and green ones I have are awesome. Extremely bright. The length they came in were red/green 2x 9.5" strands and the blue was one 19" strand. For some reason, this vendor did not have the blue split up into smaller strand. For my plans, it wont matter. The application I'm planning on using them for already looks promising. They are very much comparable to 5mm strings if you line all the bulbs up side by side. They have that same directional lighting. From dead on, they are super bright, from the side the silicone dimly glows the color.

As said above, they are very flexible. I can get a 2" diameter "U" curve out of the without putting any real stress on the string. Have not checked the dim-ability of them yet, but I think it was mentioned above they dim fine.

Remember guys when you order these are sold in CM not INCHES.

That said 48CM will = only 18.9" which is about 1/3 of what you think you are getting.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I converted the numbers to make sure of what I was getting before I ordered. I purchased 18.9" which is 100% of what I think I'm getting...

I think :giggle: