LED tubes

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember guys when you order these are sold in CM not INCHES.

That said 48CM will = only 18.9" which is about 1/3 of what you think you are getting.

Mike

Here is the table I use when making conversions, colors can be changed if you copy and save it

http://www.asknumbers.com/InchesToCentimetersConversion.aspx

Edited by Dave H
spell correction

Don't forget to post some pics. Are you going with the "neon tubes" or the "SMDs"

Dave, if you're refering to my post, I went with the so called "neon tubes" (1cm apart). I ordered 48cm strips (48 LEDs @ 19" long). Here are a few pics. This is one strip and postioned in an arch form, powered by a 12vdc wal-wart. I have the strip placed in my reclining chair which for some reason shows more of a bluish color than the cool white (probably the reflection from the chair). Pic 351 shows more of the cool white color they actually are and a good side angle of shot of light they put out, as if someone approaching from one side of a display or another. Pic 352 shows the actual size in comparison to the theater group set.

All I can say is "more WILL be on the way". :)

Hope this helps.

Wow that is bright!

How much did you get the 19" strip for? Do they have them in shorter lengths? Looking at some baby arches.

Robert

Dave, if you're refering to my post, I went with the so called "neon tubes" (1cm apart). I ordered 48cm strips (48 LEDs @ 19" long). Here are a few pics. This is one strip and postioned in an arch form, powered by a 12vdc wal-wart. I have the strip placed in my reclining chair which for some reason shows more of a bluish color than the cool white (probably the reflection from the chair). Pic 351 shows more of the cool white color they actually are and a good side angle of shot of light they put out, as if someone approaching from one side of a display or another. Pic 352 shows the actual size in comparison to the theater group set.

All I can say is "more WILL be on the way". :)

Hope this helps.

Wow that is bright!

How much did you get the 19" strip for? Do they have them in shorter lengths? Looking at some baby arches.

Robert

Robert,

The strand was $1.00 but then the shipping was $1.95. I have seen 24cm (half the length). Either way, shop around because what might be a good deal on product cost, might be a bad deal on shipping cost. What I found was just about the cheapest when I searched different sellers on ebay. But I'm not saying there aren't cheaper out there.

Robert,

The strand was $1.00 but then the shipping was $1.95. I have seen 24cm (half the length). Either way, shop around because what might be a good deal on product cost, might be a bad deal on shipping cost. What I found was just about the cheapest when I searched different sellers on ebay. But I'm not saying there aren't cheaper out there.

I just ordered 2x24cm strings (48 cm total each) in green and blue from a different dealers. 98 cents each...free shipping. Still waiting for confirmation of ANY kind. Apparently its Chinese Spring Festival so everyone is on vacation this week.

I just ordered 2x24cm strings (48 cm total each) in green and blue from a different dealers. 98 cents each...free shipping. Still waiting for confirmation of ANY kind. Apparently its Chinese Spring Festival so everyone is on vacation this week.

Chris,

IMO that's a good deal with free shipping. Could you provide the source and also keep us up to date on the progress and when you get them?

Thanks,

Ok Folks....

I take it you are going to make some arches with these. Can everyone share your plans with us. This is just the thing I need to "bring my power consumption" down.

:-)

Robert,

In my mind........:)

I'm planning driveway arches. Approx 25 feet This is why I went with 19" strings. 16 strings per arch (on eight channels) for eight arches. They will be attached with clear wireties on white metal pipe. The strands will be powered by either 12vdc wal-warts or LOR-DC boards.

Talk about bringing down the power consumption and possibly the cost of LEDs AND for sure the time of wrapping strands of lights around pipe.

It's all new to me but I see it being a pretty good set-up.

If I have time, I'll do smaller arches with half the value of everything previously mentioned but the same channels per arch. My neighbors can only take so much expansion at one time :giggle:.

I'm still in the early planning stages but if the lights hold up to an LOR test, that's what I plan to do.

Hope that helps,

Oh my. This looks more promising with every minute! Dirt cheap arches for sure!

I need to go and look at these. Now these dim and twinkle ok?

Robert,

In my mind........:)

I'm planning driveway arches. Approx 25 feet This is why I went with 19" strings. 16 strings per arch (on eight channels) for eight arches. They will be attached with clear wireties on white metal pipe. The strands will be powered by either 12vdc wal-warts or LOR-DC boards.

Talk about bringing down the power consumption and possibly the cost of LEDs AND for sure the time of wrapping strands of lights around pipe.

It's all new to me but I see it being a pretty good set-up.

If I have time, I'll do smaller arches with half the value of everything previously mentioned but the same channels per arch. My neighbors can only take so much expansion at one time :giggle:.

I'm still in the early planning stages but if the lights hold up to an LOR test, that's what I plan to do.

Hope that helps,

Robert, I'll be running a test this weekend thru LOR to see how they operate thru all modes and report back. In the mean time, I know others have purchased them. Maybe they can post their results here?

Robert,

I just got my D/C board all wired up last night. I ordered 14 of the flexible strips. I'm planning on running some tests over the weekend and will take some video as well. I'll post a link to my Vimeo when I'm all done.

Edited by magii

Hey guys,

Here is my example in a bigger form. For a test, I used 6ea 19" strips with 48 LEDs in each strip on a arch made out of 10' of 3/4 metal conduit.

I plan to do a test with an LOR controller here pretty soon to see how they react to the fades and shimmers.

Here are a few pics. I took one up close of attaching LED strips in progress and more strips laying on the ground. Another lit up at close range. Another from across the street and the last one set at an angle to show what it looks like from an angle as if driving up to the display from either side. Bright little guys from the front and side.

This will be at the OK-mini on April 24th.

Hope this helps in some questions.

attachment.php?attachmentid=31281&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1270345376 attachment.php?attachmentid=31282&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1270345376 attachment.php?attachmentid=31283&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1270345376 attachment.php?attachmentid=31285&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1270348251

Oh Wow!

That looks great! It looks like I am going to purchase one or more controllers. Between that, the DC Controllers being cheaper (little bit) and the fact that my "Want To" setup is already max my power panel out... I will be sold if these things fade and shimmer well.

Tom, can't remember if you were doing DC or the walwarts for AC with these things. Post that too. Also, what is the amp pull on a 19" strip??

Thanks,

Robert

Hey guys,

Here is my example in a bigger form. For a test, I used 6ea 19" strips with 48 LEDs in each strip on a arch made out of 10' of 3/4 metal conduit.

I plan to do a test with an LOR controller here pretty soon to see how they react to the fades and shimmers.

Here are a few pics. I took one up close of attaching LED strips in progress and more strips laying on the ground. Another lit up at close range. Another from across the street and the last one set at an angle to show what it looks like from an angle as if driving up to the display from either side. Bright little guys from the front and side.

This will be at the OK-mini on April 24th.

Hope this helps in some questions.

attachment.php?attachmentid=31281&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1270345376 attachment.php?attachmentid=31282&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1270345376 attachment.php?attachmentid=31283&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1270345376 attachment.php?attachmentid=31285&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1270348251

Not sure what's going on with the pics and why we need to login again to see them. They are just jpg format.

I'm reposting the pics from another computer so let's see if this helps.

I haven't performed the test on LOR yet but hope to tonight, I hope.

Oh Wow!

That looks great! It looks like I am going to purchase one or more controllers. Between that, the DC Controllers being cheaper (little bit) and the fact that my "Want To" setup is already max my power panel out... I will be sold if these things fade and shimmer well.

Tom, can't remember if you were doing DC or the walwarts for AC with these things. Post that too. Also, what is the amp pull on a 19" strip??

Thanks,

Robert

Robert,

I'm using AC to DC wal-warts for the test but looks like I'm going to buy some DC boards if these guys dim and shimmer right. I need to switch to DC boards anyway since I'm going with more LED prejects (strips and floods).

Edit: Oh, the amps per strip is very little although I don't have a way to test it. But the wires are like size 22g or smaller. Very thin wires.

Edited by Santas Helper

Very good Tom on the amp pull (22g wire).

Not sure how the wal-warts will react to the controller in fading or shimmering... Have you tried that yet with it? Those might not play too well. However if they do, I bet the things would dim and shimmer just fine then 8-)

Robert

I'll post this here as well since its the original thread about these.

Here are a few pictures of the strings. I've found them in both 24 cm and 48 cm lengths. My super cheap vendor I purchased a few more from last week is giving me the run around now and no longer has the 98 cents with free shipping ones for sale, although I think its still like $3 which is still cheaper than ebay. We'll see if they honor the original order.

The blue is Blue and not purpish as it kind of shows in the picture. That camera like to make it blue LED's look purple for some reason. :)

Side view

DSCF3933.jpg

Head on view although they dont look as bright as they really are.

DSCF3938.jpg

Getting excited now!

I know it is here somewhere...but which vendor did you use? Not real thrilled about waiting a month for shipment.

Also, you mentioned "using power supply". Wal-wart???? If that is the case, wouldn't the DC Controller have the same effect?

I'll post this here as well since its the original thread about these.

Here are a few pictures of the strings. I've found them in both 24 cm and 48 cm lengths. My super cheap vendor I purchased a few more from last week is giving me the run around now and no longer has the 98 cents with free shipping ones for sale, although I think its still like $3 which is still cheaper than ebay. We'll see if they honor the original order.

The blue is Blue and not purpish as it kind of shows in the picture. That camera like to make it blue LED's look purple for some reason. :)

Side view

DSCF3933.jpg

Head on view although they dont look as bright as they really are.

DSCF3938.jpg