LED tubes

Very good Tom on the amp pull (22g wire).

Not sure how the wal-warts will react to the controller in fading or shimmering... Have you tried that yet with it? Those might not play too well. However if they do, I bet the things would dim and shimmer just fine then 8-)

Robert

Robert, I've used wal-warts on other LEDs (LED super strobes, MR16s and RWR) thru AC-LORs and they work fine in fades and shimmers but since I'm going for more LEDs requiring 12vdc, I think it's time to get a few DC controllers. Just for a test, I'm using the wal-warts.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why did I know someone was going to ask that.....LOL I cant currently test distance as they are part of another project right now.

On a sadder note. The cheap vendor who I'm IM'ing right now said the 98 cents/free shipping was a mistake and will NOT send me my lights. apparently she missed busniness 101 class about keeping happy customers. Its going to cost her a few dollars to keep me happy (new price is around $6 each) but she says no. Its funny, she offered me a free gift if I purchased at the new price.

Edited by ChrisL1976

Getting excited now!

I know it is here somewhere...but which vendor did you use? Not real thrilled about waiting a month for shipment.

Also, you mentioned "using power supply". Wal-wart???? If that is the case, wouldn't the DC Controller have the same effect?

Robert..I used a converted PC power supply, not a wal-wart. Although I need a new one as when its on and linked to my computer it screws up my laptop touch mouse pad.

Power supplies are relatively cheap though.

Mmmmm,

I would be sure and contact Ebay. Sounds like a bait and switch...of sorts.

On the computer power supply... A computer supply per channel? If all this works (for everyone that is doing the testing ;-) I am going with this along with DC controller.

Mmmmm,

I would be sure and contact Ebay. Sounds like a bait and switch...of sorts.

On the computer power supply... A computer supply per channel? If all this works (for everyone that is doing the testing ;-) I am going with this along with DC controller.

It was not ebay, Ali-express website. Its a wholesaler vendor site. They basically sell just about everything pretty cheap with the exception of regular christmas lights which for some reason are priced the same as they are here.

No, the PC power supply powers the entire board. All 16 channels.

Well I'm testing the proto-arch and they seem to dim and shimmer very well. I have a DMX strobe, C6 LED mini tree, C6 LED bush and a RWR all running with it to compare to. The DMX strobe, RWR and proto-arch are powered by wal-warts until I get a DC controller.

So far, the arches are right on.

One thing though, and it might be the wal-warts I'm using. There is a very slight residual light from the LED flex strips but I'm waiting for it to get dark to see if it's noticable from the street. Plus I had one strip that had more residual than the others and replaced it with another which seemed to be better. So these strips might have a slight difference but the color and effects all look the same.

Maybe a resistor will help or maybe a DC board will make the difference. I'm not sure.

When it gets dark I'll see how it looks and if it's even noticable from the street.

I've got a constant show running that started at 4:00pm CDT and will run thru the evening.

Again, so far they are handling fades with out blinks and shimmers very percise and a very good reaction time.

Okay, with 4 hours of testing and finally getting dark. I took some pics to compare.

There is a blue C6 LED bush, a white C6 LED mini tree, a white LED DMX Techno Strobe, a red LED RWR and the white LED Flex Strip Arch in the pics. You can see the arch stands up well to the brightness of the other white lights. The last pic shows the residual of the arch I mentioned earlier. It also shows up in the DMX Techno Strobe. The strobe, arch and RWR (the RWR didn't have residual) are powered up using DC wal-warts and all is controlled by a AC LOR unit.

From the street, I couldn't see much residual even when I knew it was there. I think they would work pretty good for others and not even notice it IMO. This was a short test but all performed really good during the songs (fades/dims, shimmers and on & off commands) and was right on with the other components compared to in the test.

Sorry I don't have a way to video and post it but I will be bringing all this to the OK-mini if someone else wants to vid and post it.

Hope this helps.

That sucker is bright! That residual kind of bothers me though. My arches will be about 18ft at the furthermost from the road.

How many channels would that be? How many segments and where did you end up getting the strips from? How long did it take you to get them?

Looks like a new project in the works for me :-)

Thanks for the report.

Robert

Okay, with 4 hours of testing and finally getting dark. I took some pics to compare.

There is a blue C6 LED bush, a white C6 LED mini tree, a white LED DMX Techno Strobe, a red LED RWR and the white LED Flex Strip Arch in the pics. You can see the arch stands up well to the brightness of the other white lights. The last pic shows the residual of the arch I mentioned earlier. It also shows up in the DMX Techno Strobe. The strobe, arch and RWR (the RWR didn't have residual) are powered up using DC wal-warts and all is controlled by a AC LOR unit.

From the street, I couldn't see much residual even when I knew it was there. I think they would work pretty good for others and not even notice it IMO. This was a short test but all performed really good during the songs (fades/dims, shimmers and on & off commands) and was right on with the other components compared to in the test.

Sorry I don't have a way to video and post it but I will be bringing all this to the OK-mini if someone else wants to vid and post it.

Hope this helps.

The strobe, arch and RWR (the RWR didn't have residual) are powered up using DC wal-warts and all is controlled by a AC LOR unit.

From the street, I couldn't see much residual even when I knew it was there. .

LED's and DC are my favourite area, i would suspect that a DC controller will fix the issue and what you are seeing is caused by small leakage currents via the wall warts even though they appear switched off via your AC LOR unit.

A wall wart under essentially no load will output a voltage 50% or greater above it's rated voltage (unless it's a regulated switched mode version) and combine that with 0.1mA of leakage current is likely enough to give that residual glow.

It's one of the challenges of good DC controller design to ensure the maximum possible dimming range whilst ensuring that the LED's actually turn off.

Cheers

Aussiephil

That would be excellent!!!

It would help determine the residual I'm getting.

So please bring it if you can.

Tom, I should be getting my d-light DC board in the nest couple days. Maybe we can work something out for using it to test some of that stuff.

That sucker is bright! That residual kind of bothers me though. My arches will be about 18ft at the furthermost from the road.

How many channels would that be? How many segments and where did you end up getting the strips from? How long did it take you to get them?

Looks like a new project in the works for me :-)

Thanks for the report.

Robert

Robert,

I got them on ebay. The seller I bought from is led_auto_shop365 . Do a search for "Flexible LED Strip" and you'll see various sellers. Just keep an eye out for the cost of shipping. It adds up quick.

For the 10' section, I used 6ea 19" (48cm) strips so for 18' it would be just under 11 1/2 strips acording to my calcs. For the test I used each strip for a channel/segment.

It took about a week or two to get them.

Hope I didn't confuse you.

LED's and DC are my favourite area, i would suspect that a DC controller will fix the issue and what you are seeing is caused by small leakage currents via the wall warts even though they appear switched off via your AC LOR unit.

A wall wart under essentially no load will output a voltage 50% or greater above it's rated voltage (unless it's a regulated switched mode version) and combine that with 0.1mA of leakage current is likely enough to give that residual glow.

It's one of the challenges of good DC controller design to ensure the maximum possible dimming range whilst ensuring that the LED's actually turn off.

Cheers

Aussiephil

That is great to hear Phil,

Can't wait to test it with a DC controller at the Ok-mini in two weeks.

Thanks for your input.

Chris, I hate to hear that. I hope he honors his products till it's right. I have a lot of strings I should probably check just in case. These things were made for something other than Christmas displays and we might put them thru the test a little more but still, they should be built to flex, right?

Good luck,

Tom

:mad: Just got my replacement 24cm string for the bad one I got originally. Guess what.....the last 3 LED's go out if you flex the string. Great!!!!

This seller is going to love me.

Zach,

If it doesn't, I think Annalisa is bringing one so we might be covered. But if you do get it, bring it just in case.

I am sure it will be here this week. Even if we don't need it for testing, I am hoping Annalisa can update the firmware for me.

Ok,

I want to do some baby arches with these.

What lengths?

How many per arch?

Which vendor? How long did it take to get it from the vendor? (I ask this because it sounds like some of you might be getting some bad strands?)

Cost?

Hey Chris.... Wonder how a longer strand of these would look on the cordo stars? ;-) Thinking seriously about 8 on 8 stars and then 8 channels on baby arches.

Sounds like my first project for my 2010 setup 8-)

Robert

What lengths? They seem to come in 9.5" and 19"lengths, but I have seen longer

Which vendor? How long did it take to get it from the vendor? (I ask this because it sounds like some of you might be getting some bad strands?)

Seller is notebookaccessory. He is taking care of the other bad string which was tested before it left. Takes a good 3 weeks to get here. I would buy from him again.

Cost? around $4-5 per 1.5'

Hey Chris.... Wonder how a longer strand of these would look on the cordo stars? ;-) Thinking seriously about 8 on 8 stars and then 8 channels on baby arches. Arches would work. I'd stick with regular lights on the coro star.

What lengths? They seem to come in 9.5" and 19"lengths, but I have seen longer

Seller is notebookaccessory. He is taking care of the other bad string which was tested before it left. Takes a good 3 weeks to get here. I would buy from him again.

Cost? around $4-5 per 1.5'

Hey Chris.... Wonder how a longer strand of these would look on the cordo stars? ;-) Thinking seriously about 8 on 8 stars and then 8 channels on baby arches. Arches would work. I'd stick with regular lights on the coro star.

Ok Chris, now

Chriiiiissssss (in a really whiney voice).... I was getting excited about something new on the cordo stuff. Why wouldn't it work you think? Was thinking about reusing some political signs I have by painting them with a reflective white....mounting the strips with zip ties. You have done this before...not I. You don't think it work as well as regular bulbs :-(