Making tombstones outa Coro...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you can't count. 45 ®+20 (I)+35(P)=100. That's why I labeled each section with the bulb count.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I've already admitted that! :121_reindeer: For some reason, 45 + 20 + 35 = 110 when I did it this morning :giggle:.

(Don't tell my math profs from college, I was a math major after all...)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I've already admitted that! :121_reindeer: For some reason, 45 + 20 + 35 = 110 when I did it this morning :giggle:.

(Don't tell my math profs from college, I was a math major after all...)

I just hadn't given you a hard time yet. I know your heads been spinning lately. How's the grant coming?

We can do these for you - no problem at all. Here is a sample I put together:

attachment.php?attachmentid=30371&d=1267050333

I can cut these in black or white 4mm coro and can also include the steel stakes to mount them. This design has spots for 180 lights - my experience tells me that 100 is a bit too few.

As far as price goes - a quanity of 6 would be $50, less shipping costs with white 4mm coro (would not include the lights but would include two stakes per tomb stone). If you are interested - just submit a request here: http://www.holidaycoro.com/CustomItem.asp

Thanks,

David

HolidayCoro.com

Just let us know.

Look really good to me! And these would probably be a lot stronger and steadier than my "styrofoam" ones that I have to hold down with large rocks to keep them in place. Plus the styrofoam ones are just about worn out from all the years of use of the stakes being inserted in and out of the styrofoam and their bottoms are now so full of holes, may have to figure out a new way to mount them this year.

I like David's coro tombstone idea and chances are, if and when they go up for sale, will more than likely invest in a pack or two of them! (As soon as finances permit!, But I for one, am definitely interested!) Would also like to see some other designs as well, like different cross types/sizes and different sizes of the rounded headstones.

FYI: Save yourself some money - Any cheap spray paint works great on coro. The Fusion paints are expensive and tend to go on too thin for my liking. I used the cheapist paint I could find last year & all of my coro displays lasted through several big storms with no fading or pealing.

No, I'm obviously haveing mental malfunctions. I swear when I added it this morning it went to 110.

Carry on and ignore me as usual :) :giggle:

it is a natural side effect of running out of fingers and toes to count on.

I had to triple count to make sure before I saw the itty bitty numbers in the letters.

I paint all my tombstones (usually store bought styrofoam types) with "Americana Glow in the Dark" paint.

That way after the lights go out, the tombstones still glow nicely, althoughly I usually keep a black light on them, since the black light keeps them glowing nicely and isn't as noticable as other lighting.

Just wish Michael's sold larger bottles of the "Glow in the Dark" paint, especially since I use a LOT of it! And at $1.79 for a 2oz/59ml bottle, does get a bit costly when using 10-15+ bottles of this paint. (Just wish they sold the orange and purple glow in the dark paint as well.

BEWARE though: They(Michael's) have an orange and yellow paint labeled "Glow in the Dark", but it IS NOT a true glow in the dark paint, nor does it "glow" under a black light either! This paint looks like a bright Flourescent Orange or Flourescent Yellow paint with the words "Glow in the Dark" emblazoned on the label. DO NOT BUY IT!!!

I bought some of this paint last year thinking it would glow under a blacklight or after charged up by the sun (it does neither), I was extremely disappointed with this paint, and the new tombstones I had painted with it. These tombstones were more dark and not at all very visible in my 2009 cemetery scene, even when lit by the White LED's right in front of them.

These tombstones will all be getting a wash over with a light coating of the real Glow in the Dark (phosperous) paint this year(2010) before being put out into my "cemetery scene".

I used to get a larger bottle (6oz) of the real Glow in the Dark paint (3 varieties, purplish glow, orangish glow and a greenish glow type) at Wal-Mart for $0.98

Thanks Clay! As someone mentioned 4mm is fairly thin and after painting a few this past weekend, I decided to stand them up in the yard for visual effect. The wind played havoc on them :eek: - To those that use the 4mm how do you support them in the ground?? I've spent a lot of time on these already and want to secure them as best as possible.

Thanks Clay! As someone mentioned 4mm is fairly thin and after painting a few this past weekend, I decided to stand them up in the yard for visual effect. The wind played havoc on them :eek: - To those that use the 4mm how do you support them in the ground?? I've spent a lot of time on these already and want to secure them as best as possible.

Can you explain a little more about the havoc? We use 24" 9ga steel rods on our CoroTrees up to 46" tall and they work fine.

Can you explain a little more about the havoc? We use 24" 9ga steel rods on our CoroTrees up to 46" tall and they work fine.

They were floppy David, I honestly thought they were going to blow away. The holes on the bottom are soo small its hard to find something thats thick enough to run up through them for support. All the stuff we tried still made them proned to the wind, bending and flapping.

I might glue some wooden stakes to the back and jam them in the ground. Wasn't sure how well the glue would adhere to this stuff. Still experimenting with them. And remember the one's I have are 24x30, lot taller than the one's they sell @ wowlights > 16x19

They were floppy David, I honestly thought they were going to blow away. The holes on the bottom are soo small its hard to find something thats thick enough to run up through them for support. All the stuff we tried still made them proned to the wind, bending and flapping.

I might glue some wooden stakes to the back and jam them in the ground. Wasn't sure how well the glue would adhere to this stuff. Still experimenting with them. And remember the one's I have are 24x30, lot taller than the one's they sell @ wowlights > 16x19

Actually that is what you'd want - it's better that a strong wind bends it than trying to make it so stiff that something breaks or becomes to heavy/complex. Think of trees - they bend when the wind blows so that they don't "break". So - bending isn't a bad thing.

I'll agree that it's hard to find the right sized "rod" to be inserted into the coro flute. The size you are looking for is 9ga - anything else larger will often rip the flutes and anything smaller isn't stiff enough to hold the coro to the rod. It's a very hard size to find - we even have to have our rods custom made.

If you go the stake route - I'd recommend not gluing them. I would recommend putting the stakes into the ground and then using drywall screws and washers, screw the coro to the stake.

Thanks,

david

HolidayCoro.com

OK Folks, as promised. Here are a few more patterns I got uploaded.

http://sites.google.com/site/njstreetchristmas/Home/downloads

I put together PDFs of the bat, and the skull and crossbones on two different tombstones. I kept all the light counts the same even 50, 100, or 150 so you can mix and match what is on the stone with the type of stone, they are all different. I even put the requested "dog eared corner" one together. Enjoy and Happy Haunting!