Making tombstones outa Coro...

Here's a copy of the Coro i received today, the dimensions are 24x30 (4mm) I was able to get 10 of these for Halloween. After searching these forms & the Net, can't seem to find anyone else who's made these. What I'm looking for is some ideas? A few of these tombs I will punch hole's and string lights through, kinda like what wowlights.com did on there display.

http://wowlights.com/ProductDetail.asp?Category=19&Product=73

Being a NON creative person, I'd like to paint these as well, need some paint types that will stick. The colors I will be using to light these up are: Purple & Orange LED's. If anyone has come across completed versions of some cool one's please share. Thanks again as always

TOMB.jpg

We can do these for you - no problem at all. Here is a sample I put together:

attachment.php?attachmentid=30371&d=1267050333

I can cut these in black or white 4mm coro and can also include the steel stakes to mount them. This design has spots for 180 lights - my experience tells me that 100 is a bit too few.

As far as price goes - a quanity of 6 would be $50, less shipping costs with white 4mm coro (would not include the lights but would include two stakes per tomb stone). If you are interested - just submit a request here: http://www.holidaycoro.com/CustomItem.asp

Thanks,

David

HolidayCoro.com

Just let us know.

that's pretty cool David, but in this case he already has the coro

As for making it yourself, you can give it a slight distressed look by placing in on top of several large rocks and press it against it. Then stand it up against a large piece of cardboard and give it a very light misting of water, then paint it with some gray Fusion for plastic. the water will make the paint streak nicely. then give it a light coat with some stone accent paint. Once it's all dry paint your letters with some black paint

you can fix a smaller piece of plywood to the back with some gorilla glue and then place somethin heavy on top of it till dry. Then flatten two pipe brackets and screw them down to the plywood and you can affix it to a piece of rebar pounded into the ground

Krylon Fusion for Plastic will adhere very well. Another way of painting them is layout your wording and any other design details you may want, as well as your light pattern. Paint the stone black first as a base coat and go lightly in the areas you have penciled in so that you can see your marks. Over the black, once it's dry, you can use a natural sea sponge and daub gray paint on, it doesn't need to be KFP at this point, rotating the sponge so that you don't develop a pattern. It will look like stone. Over this, you can then use another contrasting gray paint for accents. To give it an aged patina, use a moss green color and a sponge brush and go gently. Always go from darkest to lightest.

To paint an epitaph or wording and make it look 3D (look online for epitaphs..there are hundreds of them) you can use a lettering stencil or free hand. Paint each letter with your lightest grey paint and let it dry. Around either the left side or right side of each letter, outline in black but do not go all the way around each letter, you're creating a "shadow" effect. Carefully paint in some darker grey, using your sponge brush inside each letter.

You can create some very realistic looking stones this way. Once the entire stone is dry, punch in your lights and you're good to go.

Here's a PDF Pattern I threw together that uses two 100 count strings. One for the outline and one for the lettering, in case you want to do them different colors. It's a full size PDF so it prints on a 30"x42" sheet. Most print shops or kinkos can do that for you off a jump drive. Enjoy!

Edited by magii

I tried making tombstones last year out of foam. In the end I decided that it would have been much faster and cheaper to just go and steal real tombstones and do the time.

If you are close to Houston (your location just says Texas), and still need some foam tombstones - let me know. I'll GIVE you the up to 4" foam free and when they are cut on a CNC machine, they come out perfectly clean, much like what you'd see with a hot wire. I can also "pocket" or engrave text into the foam.

This is why i ask! The ideas you ALL provide are wonderful!

David - If i hadn't alreayd purchased these cutouts, I would of went and had you do it. But now that I know about your site, will of course keep it in mind and recommend to anyone who asks.

Zach - Thanks for the legwork, the design is awesome. I'll let the wife do the creative spraying and etching with those ideas suggested, she's got wayyy more patience than i do.

If there's more suggestions, keep em' coming. This is GREAT! Gonna bookmark this link for future reference.

This is why i ask! The ideas you ALL provide are wonderful!

David - If i hadn't alreayd purchased these cutouts, I would of went and had you do it. But now that I know about your site, will of course keep it in mind and recommend to anyone who asks.

Zach - Thanks for the legwork, the design is awesome. I'll let the wife do the creative spraying and etching with those ideas suggested, she's got wayyy more patience than i do.

If there's more suggestions, keep em' coming. This is GREAT! Gonna bookmark this link for future reference.

No problem. One of the things I like about coro is it isn't rocket science. It's readily available and with an awl and a sheetrock knife most anyone can make what they want out of it. You just need a pattern to start from. The CAD stuff is pretty easy and I can draw just about anything so let me know if you need a pattern. Like I say on my site, this is an obsession that's meant to be shared! Glad I could help. One of these days I will go live with my downloads page after I get my library of patterns converted to PDF. I'm doing large prints like the one I attached, as well as 8.5"x11" that you can print on a home computer and tape together with match lines. Enjoy!

One of these days I will go live with my downloads page after I get my library of patterns converted to PDF. I'm doing large prints like the one I attached, as well as 8.5"x11" that you can print on a home computer and tape together with match lines. Enjoy!

Thats awesome. Thats cool of you to share your ideas and designs that you came up with for free and not charge for them. I have a few I may drop here as well. One being the snowflakes I had last season. Just as a note, if you bring the PDF file to some of the major office supply stores like Staples and Officemax, most of them have large format plotters and can print out the pattern full size for not too bad of a price. You can even get it on heavier paper so they last longer.

I cut my own our of coro and put humorous epithets on them.

I used Krylon spray paint for the tombstones, and some acrylic artist paint for the lettering.

I like the 10 mill coro best, and I use H shaped wire stakes to stake them into the ground. I use spotlights on most of them, using blue or green spotlights for an eery look. I used a dark grey spray paint to paint around the edges to give it some dimension.

Here is a link to look at some of them http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r42/Clevercanines/?action=view&current=P1010568.jpg

and our pumpkin, which has 3 channels.

CH 1 Eyes

CH 2 Mouth

CH 3 outline

That pumpkin is about 24 inches wide with orange minis.

If you are close to Houston (your location just says Texas), and still need some foam tombstones - let me know. I'll GIVE you the up to 4" foam free and when they are cut on a CNC machine, they come out perfectly clean, much like what you'd see with a hot wire. I can also "pocket" or engrave text into the foam.

If I pay the shipping, will you send me one free also???

Here's a PDF Pattern I threw together that uses two 100 count strings. One for the outline and one for the lettering, in case you want to do them different colors. It's a full size PDF so it prints on a 30"x42" sheet. Most print shops or kinkos can do that for you off a jump drive. Enjoy!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your RIP lettering actually uses 110 bulbs :)

Nice design though.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your RIP lettering actually uses 110 bulbs :)

Nice design though.

I'm assuming you are referring to the lights needed to jump between letters? The letters themselves have 100 lights. There are a few specs on PDF file that may look like lights.

Edited by ChrisL1976

I'm assuming you are referring to the lights needed to jump between letters? The letters themselves have 100 lights. There are a few specs on PDF file that may look like lights.

No, I'm obviously haveing mental malfunctions. I swear when I added it this morning it went to 110.

Carry on and ignore me as usual :) :giggle:

No, I'm obviously haveing mental malfunctions.

Its ok Tim, when you get as old as your are those are sure to happen. :giggle:

On a serious note though, the spacing between the letters may be an issue with getting it all strung with one string. Zach, whats the max distance between each bulb and between each letter?

On a serious note though, the spacing between the letters may be an issue with getting it all strung with one string. Zach, whats the max distance between each bulb and between each letter?

I think it could be done, if you zig-zagged across the letters (instead of always following the perimeter) in places. If not, it's pretty easy to splice in more wire between the letters.

Its ok Tim, when you get as old as your are those are sure to happen. :giggle:

I kept everything under 3", I think the spacing on most strings is 3.5"- 4" The space between each bulb is about 1".

If I pay the shipping, will you send me one free also???

Sure - I have tons of "pink" foam I purchased from a roofer. The foam is free... we still charge for the cutting, which for these isn't that much. To get an idea of what your cost to ship is, go to fedex.com and the "shipping estimator" and you'll get an idea of what shipping costs would be.

Nice design though.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you can't count. 45 ®+20 (I)+35(P)=100. That's why I labeled each section with the bulb count.

when you ship foam, do you secure it with bags of broken pottery and glass??

HA ha ha ha ha ha

:) - No, I natually would ship it in ..... Coro!

I'm slowly mastering the art of making coro boxes and shipping containers in coro on the CNC machine.