Members List ONLY Lists Members Currently Online

Has anyone else noticed that the Members List in the Community pull down menu only lists the members currently online?

Is that the way it should be? In other forums the Members List shows everyone and you can do searchs of the entire membership.

Could one of the moderators comment on whether the membership list should list everyone or just those online at the time?

Thanks,

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We noticed that a few days ago and advised Mr. Smith.

At first I thought the same thing - that it was only the online members but it's not. My list shows 67 names but only 30 are logged on as I write this. (And some of the names it shows I know for a fact are not logged on right now.)

It's also NOT showing some of the names that ARE "logged on" .

Edited by ChuckHutchings

Yes...I noticed this...

I just got off the phone with Chuck Smith...He informed me that from now the members list will only show "online members"....

Some of the members on the list at the time are currently offline...Why it is doing this...I am not sure...

Chuck may still be working on solving some glitches with this...

We noticed that a few days ago and advised Mr. Smith.

At first I thought the same thing - that it was only the online members but it's not. My list shows 67 names but only 30 are logged on as I write this. (And some of the names it shows I know for a fact are not logged on right now.)

Edited by santaigrhs

I was mistaken, as Chuck stated the list does not "match" the users online. I'm online and am not listed in the members list. Is there a setting in our profile that we have to enable to be listed in the members list? Or what is the criteria for being listed in the members list?

Sugesstion: Just get rid of the dang thing if it's not going to provide any useful information.

If it's only going to show who's online then it's easier just to click their name directly at the bottom of the main page rather than go to the extra effort of clicking Community->Members List and then waiting for that to appear.

Edited by ChuckHutchings

Sugesstion: Just get rid of the dang thing if it's not going to provide any useful information.

If it's only going to show who's online then it's easier just to click their name directly at the bottom of the main page rather than go to the extra effort of clicking Community->Menbers List and then waiting for that to appear.

Maybe its all of the people who are going to participate in the LOR inventory reduction sale that just has been announced...

I am not quite sure if Chuck Smith is still working on it...

But I do know... Planet Christmas forums will not have a full active member list page for now due to Privacy Issues...

Thank You.

I was mistaken, as Chuck stated the list does not "match" the users online. I'm online and am not listed in the members list. Is there a setting in our profile that we have to enable to be listed in the members list? Or what is the criteria for being listed in the members list?
Edited by santaigrhs

what a useless tool

it was working last week when I was looking for a member

not sure what the big deal is, most of the people on here don't use thier full or real name and most than half don't even have thier info filled in. Has there been a security breach is was this just one of those PC command decisions

But I do know... Planet Christmas forums will not have a full active member list page for now due to Privacy Issues...

Thank You.

I guess I don't understand the "Privacy Issues". If someone is online you can click on their name and be taken to their profile. If you search the forums and specify a username you will be given a list of their posts and you can click on their name and be taken to their profile.

Users profile ONLY contains information they WANT to share with the forum. In each members Control Panel there are ALL kinds of options to limit what you show and receive from the forum. What "Privacy Issues" could there be?

What the Privacy Issue is...I have no clue...Contact Chuck if you would like to know...

From what he told me there will no longer be a Member List page on this forum due to a Privacy Issue...

I guess I don't understand the "Privacy Issues". If someone is online you can click on their name and be taken to their profile. If you search the forums and specify a username you will be given a list of their posts and you can click on their name and be taken to their profile.

Users profile ONLY contains information they WANT to share with the forum. In each members Control Panel there are ALL kinds of options to limit what you show and receive from the forum. What "Privacy Issues" could there be?

What the Privacy Issue is...I have no clue...Contact Chuck if you would like to know...

From what he told me there will no longer be a Member List page on this forum due to a Privacy Issue...

ok...I guess it is what it is...Thanks to all who have helped clear this up VERY quickly.

Whatever the reason, is there a way to find a member we know exists without the member list?

I was e-mailing back and forth with another decorator, and mentioned they should join PC. He said he already had, and gave me his user ID. I wanted to check out his profile and add him to my friends list, but couldn't find a way to do that. He's only lurked so far, so I couldn't search for posts he made. I tried the members list, and he wasn't one of the lucky few listed there.

Anyone know how was can find members without the list, or can a feature be added?

Planet Christmas forums will not have a full active member list page for now due to Privacy Issues...

Due to privacy issues with Planet Christmas the member lists will now only show members that are online...

Will PC show all of the members registered?

(I just had too... :D)

Whatever the reason, is there a way to find a member we know exists without the member list?

I was e-mailing back and forth with another decorator, and mentioned they should join PC. He said he already had, and gave me his user ID. I wanted to check out his profile and add him to my friends list, but couldn't find a way to do that. He's only lurked so far, so I couldn't search for posts he made. I tried the members list, and he wasn't one of the lucky few listed there.

Anyone know how was can find members without the list, or can a feature be added?

Steve,

Since you have his User ID, you could send him a private message. But other than that, I don't know of ANY other way to contact or locate him on PC.

This is just odd and I don't see how blocking a Member list that only members who are logged in can only see will help solve a Privacy Issue... I thought that when people registered they were looked over by Chuck and denied if they were not real people.... Since you are a mod and have Chucks HOTLINE number maybe you can get him to comment on this for all of us to clear up the confusion.

Steve,

Since you have his User ID, you could send him a private message. But other than that, I don't know of ANY other way to contact or locate him on PC.

Yes, that worked! I sent him a PM, then was able to go into my sent messages and click on his name to get to his profile. Somehow though I'm already friends with him, so I must have figured out another way before...

Also, Matt PMed me with a link to his page, so apparently Mods can find people if we're ever really stuck.

This is just odd and I don't see how blocking a Member list that only members who are logged in can only see will help solve a Privacy Issue... I thought that when people registered they were looked over by Chuck and denied if they were not real people.... Since you are a mod and have Chucks HOTLINE number maybe you can get him to comment on this for all of us to clear up the confusion.

Chuck may do his best to make sure new members are real people, but he's not running background checks on everyone. If you guys only knew what I'm really like in real life... you'd all be terrified.

While this is a GREAT forum with lots of Fantastic People and Information, the above quote should be the end of the discussion. We have to remember that we are all here by the mercy of Chuck. It is his forum and he can do as he pleases. He obviously has had some problem(s) that are solved by not having a complete Members List. It is his website and forum and he can do what he pleases and is necessary to reduce his liability.

I started this thread thinking that there was a problem with the recent upgrade and didn't see anyone addressing it, so I asked the question. The quote above settles it. It is Chuck's forum and he ultimately makes the decisions. We participate and VALUE this forum, but it is not ours and we are not liable.

Also be sure you don't have ANYTHING in your profile you don't want your worst enemy, your significant other, your children, your second grade teacher, or your Priest to see.

Hmmmmmm. Guess it's time for me to step in on this discussion.

PlanetChristmas has always been extremely sensitive to your privacy. What you set in your profile determines how much information the rest of the world can see. Your behind-the-scenes information is never-ever shared with any other person or organization.

Our forum is quite powerful and has about a zillion different features. It's a never ending battle keeping things locked down and privacy protected. I'll admit to not realizing it was possible for the typical end-user to see our member list until recently ... which is the reason for the change. As for what can be seen now... keep in mind it's not real-time information.

We're getting ready for a major software upgrade of the forums so you might be seeing odd things as info is being cleaned up. I do expect some hiccups but rest assured privacy is our top concern.

Stay tuned.