Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Mel Fischer

Christmas catalogs from a bygone era

Just as an FYI: after eBay gets their fees ($3.24) per each CD sold + the listing fees they charge + Pay Pal fees (.88) + the shipping supplies ($1.00 each bubble envelope), the actual shipping costs ($2.26) and I then factor in the cost of the CD itself (approx. $1.00/each) + the cost of each catalog (prices between $40.00 - $200.00 each) added to the time it takes to burn each CD and packaging, I am not making any money on these CDs. This has only been a hobby for me and a way to assist other collectors and sellers.

Sales of this CD have gone down drastically since the my friend Mel posted a link to my Flickr photostream, which means people are probably downloading the catalogs because they don't want to pay for the CD. That is fine if people want to download the thousands of pages of information, but I've blocked people from downloading the images now. I'm sure you can "right-click" on the images and download them that way, but you'll only be getting the small images and not the full-sized ones. I'm not trying to be mean, I just put a lot of time and invested a lot of money in a project to assist other collectors and it has come back to bite me.

The eBay listing ends in 11 days and I will not be listing this CD again. I've got a total of 60 catalogs now.

Thanks for your interest!!

Mark

Mark,

I just purchased the CD (my second one from you) and I am really looking forward to receiving it. The other one I have has been a fantastic resource and I'm sure this newer addition will cause me to lose track of time while I spend many more enjoyable hours pouring over it.

Thank you so much. Do you have any plans to make a CD with your remaining catalogues? Just curious..:)

Mark,

Like I have told you in the email. I received the catalog. I love it and it will come good use and become very handy.

Thanks again

Mark, I just ordered your CD. I love collecting vintage light ups and old strings. Thanks for doing this and keeping this on ebay!

Mark,

Do you have alot of blowmolds too? I would love to come check out your stash sometime or talk about molds. You should sell these CD's directly on here and forget Ebay. Then you won't have to pay their fees.

Mark,

Do you have alot of blowmolds too? I would love to come check out your stash sometime or talk about molds. You should sell these CD's directly on here and forget Ebay. Then you won't have to pay their fees.

Very TRUE!! Then no one here would dog you about supposidly selling copyright material... And most always anyone on PC who is really interested will pay immediately with Paypal. I know I would buy one if it was sold on here.

Edited by LightsonBeasley

Very TRUE!! Then no one here would dog you about supposidly selling copyright material... And most always anyone on PC who is really interested will pay immediately with Paypal and then all of the Die Hard Molders on PC will not have to fight each other over Ebay auctions...

I know I would buy one if it was sold on here for instance, I just don't want to place a bid on Ebay and risk it getting outrageously high...

Tory, I just bought this CD..they are a BIN, price is set.. so there is no bidding up of the auction.

Tory, I just bought this CD..they are a BIN, price is set.. so there is no bidding up of the auction.

Humm... I thought the original link was for an auction... I guess he changed it to set price, My bad, the last time I looked was when Mel first posted this thread.

Brad: I have precious few blow-molds. I have a Union Santa and two giant Poloron candles fro 1968. I have several vinylite plaques. I have a lot of vintage lighting, though!