Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Mel Fischer

Christmas catalogs from a bygone era

I am posting this here in the sharing it thread rather then the Craigslist and eBay thread because I am sure more will see it here then would in that thread.

For those who are interested in Christmas decorations from the bygone years, here's a link to a CD compiled by my good friend Mark Podmore, a Christmas enthusiast who loves to share the information with others.

http://cgi.ebay.com/41-Noma-Paramount-Raylite-GE-Poloron-Catalogs-on-CD_W0QQitemZ290406095364QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439d8d5a04

His updated CD with all the new additions is in the mail and on the way to me now and I am anxiously looking forward to receiving it.

If you like the old decorations and seeing a lot of what was offered, the CD is well worth every cent of the price and much, much more.

Please be sure to read the full description in his listing and you will agree that the CD is not a money maker for him, but more of a labor of love for these older decorations and helping us all to learn more about them.

For the record, I am not connected with the CD in any way other then that I sent a few of the catalog scans to Mark, I do not receive any part of the proceeds from it.

Mel

I bought one of those last month..it's excellent and has tons of information in it. Mel, I'm sure you will enjoy it..I have spent hours pouring through it.

I bought one of those last month..it's excellent and has tons of information in it. Mel, I'm sure you will enjoy it..I have spent hours pouring through it.

Carrie, I know you are so right, I already have his previous CD, the one that is coming now has an additional 10+ catalogs that are not on the CD that I currently have. I have spent a lot of time going through the catalogs and enjoy it more each time. Always find something new that is of interest to me. I have hopes that the NOMA catalogs will eventually show up on the CD showing the NOMA choir boy & girl, NOMA monk & nun and the lamp posts and candles that we recently learned about. Gotta keep thinking positive about that.

Mel

hi mel

thanks for the info on this i am going to order one.

gary

Gary, I'm sure you will be happy that you did, it's a great resource.

Mel

Thank you Mel for letting us know about this CD. I've got one on it's way!!! It said there were only 8 left when I ordered...but I assume he can make more???

Lori :)

Lori, you are welcome and I am sure that if you like the older Christmas decorations and seeing what was offered you will be very happy with the CD. As for your question, I would assume so, but can not say for sure because Mark and I have not discussed the CD itself other then what he has on it.

Mel

My, oh my, oh my!! The CD did arrive today and I am in seventh heaven, it's all I hoped for and more!

For those that would like to see what is on the CD, here is the link to the Flicker album containing the catalogs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Please keep in mind that not all of the catalogs in the album are on the CD, at this time you will have to get the list of what is on the CD from the eBay auction page and then go to the Flicker album and check out the catalogs there as I do not have the time at the moment to get the list and post it.

Also keep in mind that the scans on the CD are full size printable pictures and much, much larger then what is in the Flicker album.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Mel

Thanks, Mel! I have a total of 51 catalogs on the CD now. If you use Flickr and wish to download the full-sized scans, you must make yourself one of my "contacts" first. Joining Flickr is free.

I've spent a lot of money and a lot of time on this venture to assist my friends in the Christmas collector world and I hope you enjoy. Also--in my Flickr Photostream, there is a set named "Christmas Items Vintage"; that has all of my personal collection in it + some.

I'm in nursing and work for South Carolina's Organ/Tissue/Eye donation non-profit organization LifePoint (http://www.lifepoint-sc.org) and am constantly on the road, so my work on the CD is intermittent at best.

Thanks to you all!

Mark Podmore (eBay seller Markie4now)

You mean another blowmold enthusiast has been hiding this whole time from me right across the dam. I see why I can't find them anymore in the area. lol

Hi Brad: What part of Columbia do you live in? I'm in Lexington off Hwy #1 by Lexington High School. I previously had a home in Elmwood Park downtown that was featured on HGTV's "If Walls Could Talk" episode "Historical Ties", was in The State newspaper and on the Elmwood Park Tour of Homes.

Due to economical reason, I had to relocate to Lexington.

Mark

Hmm. I don't remember that episode but I love watching that show when I catch it. I am in Irmo right now. I grew up in Chapin. I am in the process of going through a divorce so I will be moving back to Chapin sometime this year. I live right now basically right across the street from the big post office in Irmo, kinda near the Toyota dealership.

I had an eBay seller state I was "pirating" these old catalogs and that was not legal. Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want to get into any trouble; I merely wanted to share my finds. Should I take the seller's threats seriously?

Thanks!!

Mark

I had an eBay seller state I was "pirating" these old catalogs and that was not legal. Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want to get into any trouble; I merely wanted to share my finds. Should I take the seller's threats seriously?

Thanks!!

Mark

I don't think you have to worry about that particular person because "pirating" most always pertains to interactive media such as CD's, electronic music files, videos, movies, un-released movies. So I think they are using the term incorrectly which shows they have nothing to do with being in the legal world.

Now wether it is right or not is another question, I think it is cool you are doing this for the Blow Mold Collectors! But some of the catalogs may be Copyrighted so you could very well be breaking a law by making profit off of another companies copyrighted magazine... although the things being advertised in the catalogs are not copyrighted by the company (sears) itself.:confused:

Humm sticky situation because you are making money off of another companies (money making) catalog...

This is not meant to be negative in any way :) Just stating something that MAY come up....

I'm not "making money" on this project, Tory. Let me make that VERY clear!! The catalogs sell anywhere from $100 - $250 each. I'm trying to share history and make up for the money I've spent. I have a total of 51 catalogs on the CD now. That would be roughly $5,100.00 spent on the catalogs themselves at $100 each (I've paid over $200 for some of them). It takes hours to upload one average 30-page catalog to Flickr and my time is obviously worth nothing.

Besides, the copyrights have expired LONG ago according to Jason at Wishbook Web.

That eBay seller accused me of making money off the CD, too. If you feel so strongly I'm "making money", I'll simply remove the eBay listing and take every single catalog off of Flickr (which I have to pay for an account) and then NOBODY would be able to enjoy the catalogs.

If anyone wishes to conact me, please do so at [email protected]. If I don't hear from anyone by Monday, March 8, 2010, I'm removing the eBay listing and taking every single catalog off of Flickr.

Any other suggestions before I pull the plug on this project? Once I remove the catalogs from Flickr, I will NOT be uploading them again because of the time involved.

Thanks!

Mark

I'm not "making money" on this project, Tory. Let me make that VERY clear!! The catalogs sell anywhere from $100 - $250 each. I'm trying to share history and make up for the money I've spent. I have a total of 51 catalogs on the CD now. That would be roughly $5,100.00 spent on the catalogs themselves at $100 each (I've paid over $200 for some of them). It takes hours to upload one average 30-page catalog to Flickr and my time is obviously worth nothing.

Besides, the copyrights have expired LONG ago according to Jason at Wishbook Web.

That eBay seller accused me of making money off the CD, too. If you feel so strongly I'm "making money", I'll simply remove the eBay listing and take every single catalog off of Flickr (which I have to pay for an account) and then NOBODY would be able to enjoy the catalogs.

If anyone wishes to conact me, please do so at [email protected]. If I don't hear from anyone by Monday, March 8, 2010, I'm removing the eBay listing and taking every single catalog off of Flickr.

Any other suggestions before I pull the plug on this project? Once I remove the catalogs from Flickr, I will NOT be uploading them again because of the time involved.

Thanks!

Mark

Mark, I fully understand where you are coming from on this I have had the same thing happen to me over the blow mold catalog CD that I have sold. Almost no one is willing to consider the huge expense involved in collecting the catalogs and information let alone the many, many hours of doing the scans, formatting them and in your case uploading them to Flicker. At the price you charge for the CD I don't see how you will be able to recoup all of your expenses with the project. I know that I will never break even on the blow mold CD but like you, that wasn't the purpose of the CD, it was for sharing the information with others.

Please let me know if/when you cease the sale of the CD and remove the catalogs from Flicker and I will close this thread.

Mel

Thanks, Mel! I'll definitely let you know when I pull the plug!

I wasn't aware you had a blowmold CD; that would be nice to see. It's bad when you spend tons of time doing something you enjoy while helping others; only to find out other people are so rude they would make accusations about what you were doing. I, if anyone, knows that!

This won't stop me from collecting catalogs and I will definitely share whatever I get with you, Mel!

Thanks again!!

Mark

Thanks, Mel! I'll definitely let you know when I pull the plug!

I wasn't aware you had a blowmold CD; that would be nice to see. It's bad when you spend tons of time doing something you enjoy while helping others; only to find out other people are so rude they would make accusations about what you were doing. I, if anyone, knows that!

This won't stop me from collecting catalogs and I will definitely share whatever I get with you, Mel!

Thanks again!!

Mark

Mark,

I just sent you an email about the blow mold catalog CD before I read your post.

The blow mold catalog CD will be in with the CD containing the Christmas ads and the Garrison-Wagner catalog that I scanned for your Flicker album. I am still waiting to hear on the scans of the oversize Christmas ads that I told you about. Have to figure out how get the other oversize Garrison-Wagner catalog scanned yet, can't afford to pay Office Max or Office Depot $280 to do it.

Mel

Edited by Mel Fischer

Thanks!

Mark

I am sorry Mark if you miss read what I posted... I wasn't accusing you of doing anything... Seems your post in reply to me was a bit negative in the way I am reading it anyway... I was just stating something that MAY come up about the CD and selling it on EBAY, nothing will probably come of it and you may be able to sell it for years i don't know. :confused:

I hope you DON'T pull the plug on it myself I see all the time that you have put into it and assumed as much since you have the pics on Flickr I know how much they charge... Hope there are no hard feelings toward me, I never meant to come across as someone accusing you of copyright infringement.... :(

Mark, I bought your CD from ebay in January I believe. What a huge undertaking it was. I have poured over the CD many times..it is a treasure trove of valuable information. I do know the amount of money, time and effort you have put in and as collector of vintage decorations and blow molds, all I can say is thank you.

I will be buying the new one you have on ebay..hopefully before you pull the plug. But I wish you wouldn't, its such a marvelous resource. Thank you!

I am sorry Mark if you miss read what I posted... I wasn't accusing you of doing anything... Seems your post in reply to me was a bit negative in the way I am reading it anyway... I was just stating something that MAY come up about the CD and selling it on EBAY, nothing will probably come of it and you may be able to sell it for years i don't know. :confused:

I hope you DON'T pull the plug on it myself I see all the time that you have put into it and assumed as much since you have the pics on Flickr I know how much they charge... Hope there are no hard feelings toward me, I never meant to come across as someone accusing you of copyright infringement.... :(

No hard feelings, Tory. I apologize as I suppose I've been on the defensive with that eBay seller giving me a hard time. That seller has catalogs posted for sale at exhorbitant prices and blames me for not being able to sell them. What you stated about "making money" was almost verbatim his exact words.

I will see if this seller proceeds with his "threats"; his account was suspended several times for reasons unknown. If he reports me, I'll be one more customer eBay loses. Their fees are up to 26% now for fixed price listings + Pay Pal fees are almost 23%. The price of my CD is too low to begin with.

Thanks again. I hope there are no hard feelings as they were not my intention.

Mark

Mark, I have plans on buying this CD once I have the extra cash to do so. So please don't pull the plug on this CD.

I agree, don't pull the plug! It's a valuable resource to the BM community!

If Ebay doesn't pull the ad, keep it running!

Don't let someone acting like a brown stinky thing knock your hard work, or ruin your fun! The internet is full of people like that, you just need to learn to ignore them, and file them away where they belong!

I looked at your other Flickr pictures, I'm completely jealous of those old Christmas items you have on display in your office!