Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
judyindisguise

Frozen to the Ground

Gary, does the hot water affect your grass in the spring at all?

I'm always shocked how much thermal mass ice has. I've taken a propane torch to an icicle before -- doesn't even dent it.

How in the world would hot water affect grass??:confused:

Don't worry Judy. Carrie, Tim and I are all close friends, and we can even stomache Dano a little bit.

OK...I feel better now! Sorry about your broken toe, Carrie. I've had a couple of those and they can really hurt!

As for Mr. Richard down in sunny FLORIDA...come on up here and take down my display and let's see you gloat then!!

I would use a very large snowblower for frozen blowmold removal...But I do see a car was suggested which would work equally as well...

You know, I'm beginning to sense that there's not a lot of love for Blowmolders in some quarters here on PC......personally, I LOVE THEM!!

I guess I'm a slacker :giggle: then.

My mega tree is still up.Want to do an experiment & its been cold & raining alot + stepmom in hospital.I also have my C7's still lining the road.

All my molds are picked up though :)

You know, I'm beginning to sense that there's not a lot of love for Blowmolders in some quarters here on PC......personally, I LOVE THEM!!

Judy, there are a few that like to pick on blow molders, but most of them are closet molders anyway! Just ignore them, they're harmless blinkers and have no real sense of asthetics! :D

(I'm joking again..)

When I say hot water I mean like 125 degree water not 212...

I've never had the water do anything to the grass except make it green:p

When that happens I have to mow it... so I avoid it whenever possible:D

As far as thermal mass water does a grea job of cutting through the ice if you take your time.

Edit... Has anyone panicked because they had forgotten to add I'm sorry to the beginning of their post only to realize this isn't the I'm sorry thread:P LOL at myself

Edited by Toymakr000

your not alone judy! some of my display is still out in the yard frozen in place, mostly wire frames, the blowmolds were the first thing to come in though as i dont like to let them be exposed to the elements any longer than needed. Frank

I actually use them in my own display. I'm friends with Cozzi and Dano; so that should explain my response. :P Edited by B_Regal78

As for Mr. Richard down in sunny FLORIDA...come on up here and take down my display and let's see you gloat then!!

No thanks, that's the reason why I enjoy sunny Florida. No snow on the ground but my Lord it sure is freezing outside. But i'm not complaining. :D

Guest Matilda

Thank you, Carrie. I'm glad I'm not the only one!!

Nope... you are NOT the only one! :D

Guest A.F.NUT

I had a few days of warmth and melting mid January so I took advantage of it and got it all down. I have had the problem of them being frozen to the ground, I just rock them back and fourth and yank out the cords. I don't put the older molds out so I don't worry too much, but if you use the olders stuff the hot water method is a good way to go!

Tom

It's a dirty little secret that most of us love to pick on the molders, but have molds ourselves and like them also :giggle:

Guest A.F.NUT

I love them too! There are a few groups, Those that love them and those that hate them. There is no in between it seems. And then those that won't admit they love them and have them. And they like to give us a hard time. I think their just jealous because we know how to have fun with them!

Tom

I love them too! There are a few groups, Those that love them and those that hate them. There is no in between it seems. And then those that won't admit they love them and have them. And they like to give us a hard time. I think their just jealous because we know how to have fun with them!

Tom

I think with the "blinker" crowd its like the military..don't ask, don't tell. They don't want to admit to liking molds..let alone owning them! So they try to remain in the closet..but I have gotten two of them semi-converted..and I'll never stop! :giggle:

Guest A.F.NUT

I think with the "blinker" crowd its like the military..don't ask, don't tell. They don't want to admit to liking molds..let alone owning them! So they try to remain in the closet..but I have gotten two of them semi-converted..and I'll never stop! :giggle:

Once they realize how well they can make them ''blink'' they happily convert! You keep working on them!

Tom

And then those that won't admit they love them and have them. And they like to give us a hard time. I think their just jealous because we know how to have fun with them!

Tom

I agree Tom. I think there are a lot more closet blow molders than most people think.

I say, come out into the light, join us, the water's fine!

I think the number of people here who "hate" blowmolds is probably similar to the number of people that "hate" blinky displays, or strobes in displays, or all clear displays, or the like. In other words, as many as you would expect based on personal tastes.

What does differ is the level o 'molding' as a hobby. I have a number of molds that I enjoy, but I don't go out of my way to collect them, and I definitely wouldn't pay $100, much less many hundreds, for one. That's because I'm not a 'collector' of molds, they're just another display item to me. I do collect other things (that other people might find excessive) so I understand mold collecting, I just don't participate. Also, while I wouldn't go out of my way to harm a mold, I wouldn't think anything of drilling holes in the back to help display it, etc, whereas some here would shudder over this, even if it's a common mold that's still produced. Obviously the rarer the mold, the more likely I'd be to keep it intact, but since I'm a "displayer" and don't collect them for the sake of collecting, nor for appreciation of value, as long as I can display them better, it's good :)

What does this have to do with frozen ground? Uhm, let me get back to you on that :)

I agree Tom. I think there are a lot more closet blow molders than most people think.

I say, come out into the light, join us, the water's fine!

It would be nice if more molders would come out and tell/face-up to the truth that they're closet molders.

PC has never been the same since the first molders came out in 1998. PC was a "blinkers" place back then. Boy has it changed since then. There are places for all types now,but we all know that MOLDERS RULE !!

Bill M

Guest Matilda

WOW! Did this thread get off topic!

I would make a suggestion that the group that thinks it is continually funny to 'make fun of blowmolds and blowmolders' would stop so that this 'explanation' of 'how it is all in good fun' would not be necessary time and again.

I for one am discouraged by this behavior.

A wise person once said "It's only a joke if everyone is laughing".

I for one am discouraged by this behavior.

Don't be. It should be clear by now nobody is trying to be offensive by it.

It's far easier to change how you react to a situation than to change the situation...

Guest Matilda

Don't be. It should be clear by now nobody is trying to be offensive by it.

It's far easier to change how you react to a situation than to change the situation...

Thank you so much for your advice. I will react to it the way many have before me... which unfortunately is to participate in these forums less and less...

Perhaps it is time for the 'situation' around here to change? Just a thought...

Thank you so much for your advice. I will react to it the way many have before me... which unfortunately is to participate in these forums less and less...

Perhaps it is time for the 'situation' around here to change? Just a thought...

Well, I don't feel I'm contributing to the situation you describe, so you're asking the wrong person...

Guest Matilda

Well, I don't feel I'm contributing to the situation you describe, so you're asking the wrong person...

I'm lost... did you not feel the need to suggest I should not be offended? I was responding to your post.

I'm lost... did you not feel the need to suggest I should not be offended? I was responding to your post.

I'm saying I can't help you in your quest to change the situation, because I don't feel I've ever openly bashed the molders, even in fun. (I've made a few jokes about people posting their ebay bidding, etc but I certainly wouldn't consider that offensive)

I was merely suggesting that you not take things so seriously. If you cannot do that, then you'll either have to try to change the world, or, as you suggest, leave these forums. It's hard to change the world, and I don't think you need to leave, so I was suggesting you just have fun with it like most of the other molders do. Carrie is a good example...

All my comments are meant to be constructive, not argumentative