I finished my 2010 Channel Layout

bhays

Someone mentioned that the ext cords would probably be the biggest purchase....Well yeah....I'm seeing that now. This will be my first year and was going to do 16CH...That turned into 32...Now 48 :eek: ... I will stop there, for this year. But OMG I've gotta get a TON more cords now. Wife has threatened me, NO MORE $$ I CAN SPEND, this outa be tricky when the cords slowly start mutliplying...I maybe sleeping in the dog house this Summer

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Philip,

I missed your earlier question about tracks.

Right now the only purpose I use tracks for is to show different timing. And that usually revolves around talking heads-type of figures. I like to program those types of decorations with timing of 0.05 seconds, and sometimes it makes sense to have them on a separate track.

But this is where I could probably use some more knowledge about LOR.

I like having all my channels in the main track, because it makes it easier to import configuration files and have everything line up.

If I started dividing channels into different tracks, I think I'd have to use the same configuration on all songs and announcements to be able to import my templates correctly?

I don't think it would work to have 5 tracks in one song and 2 tracks in another song and be able to import new templates as easily as I do now?

So what I end up doing is using tracks for different timing (like Talking Heads) and then copying / pasting those results into the main track. That's been working okay.

Bottom line is I need to learn more about how tracks interact with importing templates...

Hi Philip,

I missed your earlier question about tracks.

Right now the only purpose I use tracks for is to show different timing. And that usually revolves around talking heads-type of figures. I like to program those types of decorations with timing of 0.05 seconds, and sometimes it makes sense to have them on a separate track.

Wow that is some very small timing. Can you really tell a difference at 5/100 of a second?:eek: Or did you mean .5 seconds? (1/2 second)

I thought 0.05 second timing was pretty common in LOR, but maybe it's just me. :)

Here's a screen shot of the timing and programming for some of our singing reindeer. You want to be able to get the mouths synced up with the words in the song, especially if there is fast talking or singing...It works pretty well, and it relatively easy to program and visualize...

I thought 0.05 second timing was pretty common in LOR, but maybe it's just me. :)

I use .05 second timings on fast songs.

I used to use .1 as a timebase, but when you're chasing across 48 channels, it takes almost 5 seconds to do it at .1sec, vs 2 1/2 for .05...

I was using .05 timing with a fixed grid when I started but some grid didn't match up with the beats.Instead of reading/researching on how to use the free form grid, I changed the fixed timing to .01 :eek: and it works out perfectly for me.

I was using .05 timing with a fixed grid when I started but some grid didn't match up with the beats.Instead of reading/researching on how to use the free form grid, I changed the fixed timing to .01 :eek: and it works out perfectly for me.

Thnaks guys for the explanation. I would have never guessed that as it is faster than the blink of an eye (300-400 milliseconds) and that would be a pretty fast tempo.

I will have to give it a try.. Thanks again for the explanation to this old brain.

I like having all my channels in the main track, because it makes it easier to import configuration files and have everything line up.

If I started dividing channels into different tracks, I think I'd have to use the same configuration on all songs and announcements to be able to import my templates correctly?

I don't think it would work to have 5 tracks in one song and 2 tracks in another song and be able to import new templates as easily as I do now?

So what I end up doing is using tracks for different timing (like Talking Heads) and then copying / pasting those results into the main track. That's been working okay.

Bottom line is I need to learn more about how tracks interact with importing templates...

You are using tracks even if you do not think so. Every sequence has at least one track, but you can add others. I have all of my "reds" in a track, my "greens" in another, etc. I also use tracks to do sweeps from one end of my display to the other (e.g. I have a tracks where all of my elements are in order from left to right).

As far as your configuration, tracks are exported into the LCC file and can be imported into another sequence. So to keep things lined up, consider what you have now as the main track - do not change the order; but, you can create a new track (or duplicate the main track, whatever), and acramble those channels into whatever order you like. Maybe in this new track, you only want your chasing trees. Then you can create another track with only your mega tree.

The timing grids that you create can be overlayed on any track, so say you have a "vocal" timing grid - you can overlay that grid on your megatree track, your chasing trees track, your "Green" track, whatever. It's very simple and with higher channels counts, it will only help you sequence more efficiently...

tracks are really pretty simple for most applications

as for my 2010 layout, I figured it all out last night and still need 2 more controllers to make everything work, my light count will go up a bit but my power usage will top out around 94 amps which means I need two more circuits for the front yard

I have some lofty goals for 2010...

Chaser is a mini tree or chasing tree and "Left Side" and "Right Side" are 15' vertical poles wrapped in 3 colors in lieu of wrapping tree trunks...I'm also debating on adding a 64 channel Gordon Grid (I have to do some tests in the next few upcoming days). No fancy DMX toys though...;)

2010_Channel_Layout.pdf

Edited by B_Regal78

I have some lofty goals for 2010...

Chaser is a mini tree or chasing tree and "Left Side" and "Right Side" are 15' vertical poles wrapped in 3 colors in lieu of wrapping tree trunks...I'm also debating on adding a 64 channel Gordon Grid (I have to do some tests in the next few upcoming days). No fancy DMX toys though...;)

I was thinking about doing a Gordon Grid also but after a good snowstorm in the North East, the whole thing would not be visible anymore and it would be a waste of 64 channels:(.I was thinking about having it somehow raised off the lawn a few inches.

I've got a mostly standard setup running with an ultra mega tree that will have the standard light setup with a giant 15' tall 51' long spiral wrapped around it with 36 individual channels and the firefli running vertical up the center pole. Will be multi-dimensional

I am green with envy at everyone who's snow is melting already. We'll be lucky to be snowless in July again... ugh.... Two songs sequenced. Opening Intro is sequenced and the third song, "Trans Siberian Canon" is kicking my tailend... Just cannot get the beat on it right after 15+ hours.... Maybe I'll drink a lot of wine this weekend..... Anyone tell me how many channels and how many strings, (each color) a fan would use ? I appear to have about 12 channels left, (plus sporadic spares) and sure would hate to waste that many. Thanx !

Gregg

I have one fan of 16 channels and another with 9 channels (multi color)

Well, I have finished my 2010 layout! 288 Channels plus 19 (just animated) for the snowball fight and maybe 4 more for another animation. 311 channels total. I have a lot of work to do! I don't even have 2009 display down yet:eek:

You're almost at the point where you might as well just leave it up!

:121_reindeer:

Most of you are well over 20 steps ahead of me too, I still have display items up in the hard, been a slow teardown when we have had over 15 inches of snow still on the ground up until about a week ago when it suddenly decided to start melting. I'm getting confused though on how you call do your excell spreadsheet stuff?

I'm getting confused though on how you call do your excell spreadsheet stuff?

I'd be interested in seeing how others do this as well. I'm planning a significant increase from last year. I went on a spending spree this week and am already waiting on six different shipments, everything from power supplies and enclosures to control boards. I haven't bothered to layout anything yet, I just know the individual elements I want and what is needed for each of them. If anyone is willing to share how they plan and why, I would be very interested.

I'd be interested in seeing how others do this as well. I'm planning a significant increase from last year. I went on a spending spree this week and am already waiting on six different shipments, everything from power supplies and enclosures to control boards. I haven't bothered to layout anything yet, I just know the individual elements I want and what is needed for each of them. If anyone is willing to share how they plan and why, I would be very interested.

I'm expecting to see a 3d rendering of your display plan before summer....lol

I'm expecting to see a 3d rendering of your display plan before summer....lol

Virtual building will not take place before actual building. :D I am looking at the Holiday Light Designer, just because of it's LOR compatibility. I just haven't heard anyone who is in love with it and I'm not sure I'm willing to spend $50 on it.