Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
jtf107

MR16 Spots

I was thinking of getting some MR16 led spots. It is driving me crazy that I cant find them for the price I first saw them. It was around $3.50. Some Questions

-How do you like them? (bright, coverage)

-How to encase them from weather.

-Where is the best place to buy?

-Buy sockets for them or just solder the wires on.

Thanks for any response.

I was thinking of getting some MR16 led spots. It is driving me crazy that I cant find them for the price I first saw them. It was around $3.50. Some Questions

Wirekat Enterprises

Nope, changing to Mighty Minis for next year.

PVC and Acrylic balls. There is a How-to from wirekat.

I followed a link from the D-Light products page to Wirekat.

I bought the sockets, they were cheap, and they allowed me to solder in the required resistor.

Save yourself the time, money, and headache. Build a mighty mini. Last day to order the boards from kostyun is today!

So never using the product (Mighty Mini) or seeing it in person could 1 cover my whole house. It is 2 stories high and 40' wide with a brick and light siding. I also have a street light out side.

Edited by jtf107

So never using the product (Mighty Mini) or seeing it in person could 1 cover my whole house. It is 2 stories high and 40' wide with a brick and light siding. I also have a street light out side.
That answer is no. Somewhere on PC (I just can not find it), there is a video of someone using 8 Mighty Minis (MMs) to provide wash lighting for their house - that was a good sized 2 story house. The PC guy here who developed them if Fkostyun; and DMooore is also very familiar with them. The MR16s are not as bright (I think you need 6 to 8 MR16s for one MM), so people used to make banks of them since the MR16s are so inexpensive.

http://www.christmasinkent.com/MR16sales/MR16sales.htm

http://www.plymouthlights.com/mr16howto.htm

http://www.christmasinkent.com/howto/HowToLEDspots.htm

There is also the "BigClive" LED flood light, which is similar in design and light output to the MightyMini. Moreover, several other LED spots in the works but not available yet. One is by LOR which will be more powerful than all of the others, but also cost more, and the other is being developed by a guy named "RJ" (DIYLightAnimation), which from the early write-ups, looks promising. RJ is his PC name - I don't know what his real name is...

You can do a search on "XMAS Flood" (aka LOR flood), Mighty Mini, "BIG Clive" and look at "RJ" posts find out all the information you ever wanted to know. I'm not going to start posting details here as people have strong feelings about each. I will say this though - the LOR flood will be native to LOR protocol (all others are DMX), only the MM will has a true white (the others do it by mixing RGB, but it may also look good) and only the might mini and big clive are currently available (it's not yet known when LOR and RJ will have their floods availble to the public). All of the lights have their good and bad points, so it really is going to depend on your price point and application.

There is also something called rainbow wall runners. LEDs are mounted in a tube that can wash a wall from above. They are available right now from Ponddude. I don't beleive they are as powerful as the MM or BigClive, and certainly not as powerful as the LOR flood, but do have a nice look to them and defintely have a niche. It's worth checking them out as well. Again, it depends on your application.

Trust me, do the search - there are some very smart fellows here who know a lot about these things. If anything, you can get a good education on LED floods and the different designs.

EDIT: Here are some links to threads with the information you are looking for -

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=39823

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=40327

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=30680

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=36800

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=33377

Edited by B_Regal78

Thanks. I'll go through those links. I turned away from the RWR because of my lack of soldering skills. Haha

Thanks. I'll go through those links. I turned away from the RWR because of my lack of soldering skills. Haha
You are going to have to solder the BigClive and MMs as well. Onlt the LOR flood wil be offered in a ready to go state. Although, you might be able to get someone to build you a few MMs - if your nice to them (and you don't have to be nice to me 'cause I am not going to do it :D)...

The MR16s are not as bright (I think you need 6 to 8 MR16s for one MM), so people used to make banks of them since the MR16s are so inexpensive.

I currently use MR-16's. First of all, you need at least 3 of them to get RGB. Then you'll find the red is about 1/2 the brightness, so you probably really need 4. When you've got that, you'll find they're spots, not floods. They project a colored circle on your house. Mine are 10-15' back and this circle is very noticeable. It doesn't look bad - in fact I kind of like the look, but it definitely isn't a color-wash. You'd need dozens of them for that, and at $5-8 a piece, plus $3-5 each for the enclosures, it just wouldn't be economically sound.

The mighty mini can be built for around $50. I have no experience with it but it's a wash fixture not a spot, so it will provide much more coverage.

The upcoming LOR flood, when it finally comes out, will be another option.

I built two bazooka floods out of MR-16's for this season. I was so disappointed with their performance I didn't even put them out. Here they are:

3955144299_b8c12cf065.jpg

3955942042_dba567dc90.jpg

I spent about $25 on the bulbs, wires, and resistors after shipping. Each of the housings was about $3 and with PVC paint, wiring, and everything else, I had about $50 in one of these. And I still needed the power supply. You can build the mighty mini for the same price and have a much brighter and smaller unit. If you shy away from soldering, you can buy the assembled boards for $45.

http://store.kostyun.com/category.php?id_category=10

The group buy for these is over today (March 1st) so it's kind of decision time if you want to do it now, otherwise you will have to wait for the next group buy. I'm building 8 of these for next season. If you see them in real life, nothing compares. There has been lots of debate and hurt feelings over all these available designs but as far as the most options for the price on something that's available now, the Mighty Minis are the best. I'm sure the LOR flood will be spectacular if/when it comes out, I'm just not going to plan my display around something that's not yet a guarantee. I may upgrade to them in the future when they arrive.

I am glad to see that there is some very good information in this thread and no bashing. That is exactly what I only ever wanted for the community, the best of what was available. Many times I acknowledged that if you needed a flood now, to buy the best of what is available now. There are no hurt feelings on my part no matter what decision someone makes for their flood purchase, everyone has different needs and I have no horse in this race. My major point was to explain the significance of properly powering the LEDs and what that means to the operation of such a device. Now that I see other options being considered and that many now understand this, I see this as a good direction for the decorating community.

Thanks for any response.

Joe,

For several years I've been trying to get something for a decent color wash, and from my experience, MR16's are not the answer. Not that they don't have their uses, but if you are looking for a color wash, don't go that direction. I was up to 6 per color on one tree and it still wasn't enough. At $6 each (what I paid for them), that's a lot of money by the time you build the enclosure and all, and that's just for one color, and I still could have used more.

I've been building a few of the MM's (DIY project), and they are doing great, in my opinion. As others have said they will cost you about $50 to build, but you will have r,g,b and white. They are bright, and they have a wide spread. Another DIY project is the Porta Flood. I haven't built or tryed these yet, but I have some boards coming and hope to have one built by the middle of March. Another DIY being developed by RJ is the Aether. It isn't available yet, but it sounds very promising. Some say it's going to rival the Xmas Flood, but since neither are out yet, we will have to see. From what I've read, they are going to be around the $100 range to build. Plus, the Xmas Flood (or whatever LOR will call it) is supposed to come out, also. If LOR has anything to do with it, you know it is going to be great, and will be priced so we hobbiest will be able to afford it, and you will be able to use it right out of the box.

As you can see, there is a lot of excitement going on now with the various types of flood/spot lights. It's just going to be a matter of picking the right one for your situation, and for your wallet.

By the way, we will have all of the them, that are out by May, to demo at Light Up Ohio 2010. Hope you can attend.

Bill

Edited by Bill Hoffman

I think the operative term for the MR-16 is a SPOT and NOT a flood... the MR-16 works great as a spot, but like others have said it does not make a great whole-wall wash..

I used the MR-16 spots this past year in my display and used them to create splotches of light on my garage door and they did a wonderful job.. I was wanting the colors to remain separate and not cover the whole door, so they were a match..

as others have said there are much better options for creating a complete wall wash.. but if you want a spot effect the MR-16 is perfect..

I put them inside of standard Landscape spot fixtures available at lowes / home depot...

I think it was "brightscapes" brand.. got a good deal on them at end of gardening season last year..

So much good information.

If you shy away from soldering, you can buy the assembled boards for $45.

http://store.kostyun.com/category.php?id_category=10

I was looking at those. Might be in the future. Any idea how much they are normally?

but if you are looking for a color wash, don't go that direction.

I am looking for a color wash. But I dont care how much color I get just so people can tell that it is not just from the lights.

By the way, we will have all of the them, that are out by May, to demo at Light Up Ohio 2010. Hope you can attend.

I will most certainly think about it. Where is it exactly? I don't want to drive that far.

I never really do any DIY stuff for lights just because I dont have time with school, but I think i will start. I can do it over the summer with my sequencing.

I was looking at those. Might be in the future. Any idea how much they are normally?

You can buy the bare printed circuit for $4 and order the LEDs on eBay for about $35. You almost can't beat the price for the assembled boards. I ordered the bare boards just because I want to put them together!:giggle: Similar color wash fixtures that are available run about $800 each:eek:!

I am looking for a color wash. But I don't care how much color I get just so people can tell that it is not just from the lights.

You cannot get that effect from MR-16s. Check out the Video at:

http://www.kostyun.com/led-displays/mightymini/

I never really do any DIY stuff for lights just because I dont have time with school, but I think i will start. I can do it over the summer with my sequencing.

If you ordered the assembled boards all you have to do is put them in an enclosure. Most of the ones I have seen use cat5 cable to power them from a DC controller. I'm sure someone will eventually start putting these together in "ready to go" kits. Heck, I may depending on how my first build goes.

Another DIY being developed by RJ is the Aether. It isn't available yet, but it sounds very promising. Some say it's going to rival the Xmas Flood, but since neither are out yet, we will have to see. From what I've read, they are going to be around the $100 range to build.
Aether. That's what it is - I couldn't remember...

So what is the porta-flood that you are looking to build?

I dont yet have the LOR DC board I might buy from D-Light or LOR depending on which sale is first and cheaper. I know the LOR sale just happened I don't need everyone telling me. (I knew about it and even watched the inventory but didnt think i would do this)

I am rather set on the MM's.If I would buy leds from ebay what am I looking for exactly? I dont think ill buy anything till I get the controller.

Thanks everyone. Got to the the great information of PC.

Since your questions have been answered, this next question is a little off topic...

I see you are from Pittsburgh. By any chance, do you know Bob Cox?

Aether. That's what it is - I couldn't remember...

So what is the porta-flood that you are looking to build?

The Porta Flood is similar to the MM, but it is bigger. It mounts in a 500w halogen work light casing, and the MM mounts in the smaller one. The Porta Flood has 162 5mm LED's, and is a 3 channel flood. So it's r,g,b and according to some things I've read, depending on what resistors you use, you can power all colors to make white. Or you can simply make each flood one color. Also, there is the Flood Strips that mount under your eaves.

It's getting very exciting in the world of color wash, and believe me, it's been a long time coming.

Bill

The Porta Flood is similar to the MM, but it is bigger. It mounts in a 500w halogen work light casing, and the MM mounts in the smaller one. The Porta Flood has 162 5mm LED's, and is a 3 channel flood. So it's r,g,b and according to some things I've read, depending on what resistors you use, you can power all colors to make white. Or you can simply make each flood one color. Also, there is the Flood Strips that mount under your eaves.

It's getting very exciting in the world of color wash, and believe me, it's been a long time coming.

Bill

Any links?

B Regal,

Yes, I know him. I was at the TLC filming. I saw you there (I think you were next to Trash) . Excuse me for not coming over and introducing my self.

Edited by jtf107

Also, there is the Flood Strips that mount under your eaves. It's getting very exciting in the world of color wash, and believe me, it's been a long time coming.
And these flood strips, are they going to be similar in idea to the rainbow wall runners?

B Regal,

Yes, I know him. I was at the TLC filming. I saw you there. Excuse me for not coming over and introducing my self.

Oh no, it's not a problem. I loved the event and probably was wound up pretty good - I'm not sure I would have recognized my own mother :D... I was looking forward to the lighting almost as much as Bob was. So you probably know Trash and AF Nut as well...

Well I have had some chats with Bob before. It was rather funny a 13 year old walking up to him "Hi Im Joe from PC". He looked at me for a second. Then pointed everyone out and told me who they were.

Well I have had some chats with Bob before. It was rather funny a 13 year old walking up to him "Hi Im Joe from PC". He looked at me for a second. Then pointed everyone out and told me who they were.
Don't worry about how old you are. There is a kid, LightsByGreg, who was 16 at the time I first met him; he puts on one of the better displays I've ever seen. He's in college now but still found time to put on another great display. Honestly, if I had your imagination, I would have a great show.