Artificial SNow Machine

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Prognosis on the hot tub blower idea is probably not good. We use those same yellow bounce house blowers at our haunt for various things and they put out about 250-300cfm.. example From what I can tell, the hot tub/spa blowers are usually under 100cfm.. example

I don't think you'll get much over 300cfm without breaking the bank.. this does 310cfm on high

I am no engineer, but I think the problem is that you're going to lose a gob of velocity in the travel from the blower to the heads.. might have to think in terms of smaller motors at each head.. I don't know about vacuum cleaner blowers.. but I don't think they are super high cfm either..

Prognosis on the hot tub blower idea is probably not good. We use those same yellow bounce house blowers at our haunt for various things and they put out about 250-300cfm.. example From what I can tell, the hot tub/spa blowers are usually under 100cfm.. example

I don't think you'll get much over 300cfm without breaking the bank.. this does 310cfm on high

I am no engineer, but I think the problem is that you're going to lose a gob of velocity in the travel from the blower to the heads.. might have to think in terms of smaller motors at each head.. I don't know about vacuum cleaner blowers.. but I don't think they are super high cfm either..

I think my blower from my true north machine will work, it is rated at 120 CFM. Your link looks like the same blower that I have. Interesting that the velocity from my 120 CFM is MUCH great than the velocity of the bounce house blower. I will hook both up to the distribution system next week and post the results.

Edited by mmulvenna

look at the attached PDF. I think if you separate it into two feeds with two blowers and decrease your diameter after the first head you should be able to maintain pressure to the second nozzle. Picture it like a trunk line for an air conditioning system.

Brett,

Hum I was looking the info on Stanley Pivoting Blower :-)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-Pivoting-Blower-Fan-with-Grounded-Outlets/5384374

But did not find the CFM output also I got the same results on the hot tub blower.

Maybe one of these

EDIT: Good reviews and labeled as very quiet. I think I will order one. I can use it in my shop if it does not work for making snow.

Edited by mmulvenna

Mike , I think you have a great idea with your snow machine. I was working on something similar but am now totally occupied with the JUMP . Here is an idea that might help with your machine. Use compressed air from a pancake type of air compressor that is remotely located to lessen the noise. Run the compressed air in a tube up to a mixing valve where the snow juice from a pump and compressed air are mixed and released through an atomizer type of jet. The blower then picks the moving mixture up and pushes it thru the sock. Walter

Mike , I think you have a great idea with your snow machine. I was working on something similar but am now totally occupied with the JUMP . Here is an idea that might help with your machine. Use compressed air from a pancake type of air compressor that is remotely located to lessen the noise. Run the compressed air in a tube up to a mixing valve where the snow juice from a pump and compressed air are mixed and released through an atomizer type of jet. The blower then picks the moving mixture up and pushes it thru the sock. Walter

Walter, thanks. I have a very LARGE air compressor in my shop that is housed in a spearate building. Maybe I should think about using that.

Hope all is well with you and Jackie...

I would look more in the direction of a blower that can develop some pressure instead of high cfm. A 2 or 3 stage tangential discharge vacuum motor that is used in central vac systems, it will move a lot of air through 1 1/2" or 2" piping. One like this should get the job done, most high quality shop vacs ($200.+) use a 2 stage motor with a lower cfm rating, if you have one it might be worth a try.

3GXE5_AS01.JPG

I have completed the hardest part of the snow machine. As the pdf is to large for PC you can view it here at DIYC.

If you want the word document that prints the pattern correctly send me a pm with your e-mail address.

As always comments or suggestions are appreciated.

I stopped in a gas station out of town on Tuesday and thought about this thread. The hand dryer in the restroom kicked out some very serious air...

[url="http://www.prodryers.com/servlet/the-131/Excel-Dryer-XLERATOR-Hand/Detail"]http://www.prodryers.com/servlet/the-131/Excel-Dryer-XLERATOR-Hand/Detail

You might check into blowers from commercial hand dryers.

• 5 weeks later...

Had to take a break an finish the remodel of our motor home. All the blowers I have tried so far have failed. The just have not produced enough volume or enough velocity.

The one that has come closet to working is the blower from the commercial True North snow machine.

I have tried hooking up my 5 HP 200 gallon compressor it also does not work the way I would like.

The next blower I am going to try is the one from our pool spa. I suspect it might work but also suspect it will overheat after running continuously for over 30 Minutes.

Will post the results afte I try the spa blower..