Video of someone BLOWING UP A TPI SNOWMAN!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH I loved that branson commercial!! Nobody like to be downwind of the camel lol

I was serious about questioning dreams (it seems to be a trend around here lately). As a blinker I have sequenced in my sleep before, any of you molders every had your molds talk to you in a dream?

As a molder I have only dreamed of finding big groups of rare molds for nearly nothing lol As a blinker I have sequenced thousands of hours of music in my sleep lol Too bad we cant save the work we do while sleeping lol

Jim

I watched the video and did not enjoy it at all, especially if it was done purely for entertainment, I did not find ANYTHING about it entertaining.

The only reason I could come up with in my head and heart that might help justify an action such as this, is if it were being done to teach the danger of firecrackers to children and even then ,I think you could come up with something besides a blowmold. This could show children if it can damage hard plastic like that just imagine what it would do to your skin,eyes,nose etc.

I watched the video and did not enjoy it at all, especially if it was done purely for entertainment, I did not find ANYTHING about it entertaining.

The only reason I could come up with in my head and heart that might help justify an action such as this, is if it were being done to teach the danger of firecrackers to children and even then ,I think you could come up with something besides a blowmold. This could show children if it can damage hard plastic like that just imagine what it would do to your skin,eyes,nose etc.

I like your analogy... That is the one that I would keep in my head over this disgraceful act...

I was serious about questioning dreams (it seems to be a trend around here lately). As a blinker I have sequenced in my sleep before, any of you molders every had your molds talk to you in a dream?

I've sequenced in my sleep..always comes out better than the real thing. But no, my blow molds do not talk to me..I talk to them. I may love them and tend to believe they are the best of decorations, but I'm certainly not delusional. ;) (at least about blow molds)

I like your analogy... That is the one that I would keep in my head over this disgraceful act...

You know, there are literally thousands of videos of people blowing up actual snowmen as well. Kind of like that sandcastle competition. I think it was called "masterblasters" Whether you agree with it or not, there is entertainment value in watching things go BOOM. If there wasn't people wouldn't keep doing it.

You know, there are literally thousands of videos of people blowing up actual snowmen as well. Kind of like that sandcastle competition. I think it was called "masterblasters" Whether you agree with it or not, there is entertainment value in watching things go BOOM. If there wasn't people wouldn't keep doing it.

You have to understand where the mold collectors are coming from though. This is an out-of-production mold, in decent shape. It would be like shooting a YouTube video of blowing up (or shattering) old antiques for entertainment value, or perhaps blowing up an old barn rather than restoring it (I grew up in farm country, and am not that far from it now, and the number of old classic barns is becoming dangerously low...)

(I grew up in farm country, and am not that far from it now, and the number of old classic barns is becoming dangerously low...)

I grew up on a ranch 15 miles from the Nebraska/Wyoming border. There's a great old barn outside of the main town that was moved and turned into a Bed and Breakfast. As an architect, a majority of my recent projects have been historic preservation so I understand the concept, it hurts to see someone bulldoze a great old house. Doesn't change the fact that it's their house. :rolleyes: When they do come down, I still like to go watch. ;)

Edited by magii

I grew up on a ranch 15 miles from the Nebraska/Wyoming border. There's a great old barn outside of the main town that was moved and turned into a Bed and Breakfast. As an architect, a majority of my recent projects have been historic preservation so I understand the concept, it hurts to see someone bulldoze a great old house. Doesn't change the fact that it's their house. :rolleyes: When they do come down, I still like to go watch. ;)

(Total off-topic aside...)

My aunt/uncle still live on the farm my mom grew up on. It was designated a "Century Farm" 10 or 15 years ago (meaning the farm's been in the same family for over 100 years). Unfortunately, they had to tear the barn down a couple years ago. It was even older (as far as anyone knows, it was on the farm when my grandfather bought it) but over time had gotten into dangerous condition. They had pictures of it being torn down, which was pretty sad to look at. My aunt actually choked up when she was showing them to us - said something to the effect of "it's just not a real farm anymore when you don't have a barn..." They actually have aerial pictures starting from in the 50's, about one per decade, that show the changes over the years. In the early 1900's every farm was essentially self-sustaining, had a barn (for the cows), chicken coup, corn crib, sometimes a hog building, etc.

I grew up on a ranch 15 miles from the Nebraska/Wyoming border. There's a great old barn outside of the main town that was moved and turned into a Bed and Breakfast. As an architect, a majority of my recent projects have been historic preservation so I understand the concept, it hurts to see someone bulldoze a great old house. Doesn't change the fact that it's their house.:rolleyes:

People do have the right to bulldoze their own property, blow something up, and destroy things for "entertainment's" sake or just because they feel like it. I would never dispute that. But I still feel its wasteful and I'm personally not amused by it.

I restore blow molds, that is what I do. And I do it extremely well. I have taught restoration at PLUS07 and 09 and am invited to numerous mini's each year to teach, which I have. I started repainting them in the 1970s, never thinking that they would become hard to find. The fact is, most of them are difficult to find, and some now command enormous prices, far more than most non-molders would ever believe.

To blow mold collectors, it's not about entertainment or personal property rights. No one is arguing against the fact that someone has a right to do what they wish with their personal property.

I'm sure if someone were to post a video of a pristine 1966 Shelby Cobra being blown up, for entertainment's sake, a heck of a lot of people would groan, cringe, and not appreciate it, especially those that are over 40. ;)

Random thought:

Reminds me of a research project we did for the explosives factory I worked for about 20 years ago. We made a manikin out of a old set of coveralls and a halloween mask (like "Buster" from Mythbsters), and blew up some pans of various explosives in front of him. We were testing effectiveness of blast shields. He survived remarkably intact, and for about a year afterwards people would move him around, so he would appear in random places all over the shop. He sat in on several management meetings, and was once even voted "employee of the month". (I think he's in Congress now).

I'm 48; what the HECK is a Shelby Cobra? Is it venomous?:D

(Yeah, I know, try Google.)

Hoyt, are you serious? Have you been living under a rock?:giggle: I thought the whole world knew what a Shelby Cobra is..unbelievable car..Carroll Shelby? Ever heard of him?

Cobra-01.JPG

I'm 48; what the HECK is a Shelby Cobra? Is it venomous?:D

(Yeah, I know, try Google.)

Hoyt, are you serious? Have you been living under a rock?:giggle: I thought the whole world knew what a Shelby Cobra is..unbelievable car..Carroll Shelby? Ever heard of him?

Cobra-01.JPG

That doesn't look venomous! :giggle:

I've seen a lot of classic cars destroyed to make TV shows and movies. The first one that comes to mind is the General Lee (1969 Dodge Charger) but there are countless others. Maybe if it was my car (that I spent years restoring) I'd get upset. But otherwise, it doesn't really bother me.

I've seen a lot of classic cars destroyed to make TV shows and movies. The first one that comes to mind is the General Lee (1969 Dodge Charger) but there are countless others. Maybe if it was my car (that I spent years restoring) I'd get upset. But otherwise, it doesn't really bother me.
When they made the Dukes of Hazzard movie, I remember reading somewhere they were buying Chargers off of eBay because they were so hard to come by - even '68 and '70 Chargers and updating them to '69.

BTW: I doubt that was a real Cobra, but more likely a replica. It looked liked it had a fiberglass hood. Still a nice car nonetheless. A real Cobra would seldom see a city street...if at all.

BTW: I doubt that was a real Cobra, but more likely a replica. It looked liked it had a fiberglass hood. Still a nice car nonetheless. A real Cobra would seldom see a city street...if at all.

I believe the real cobra did have a fiberglass hood, as well as the nose, bumper, and parts of the fenders. Wonder if I could blow up a milk jug and call it a "replica Blow Mold"

Wonder if I could blow up a milk jug and call it a "replica Blow Mold"

I'm pretty sure you could. Heck you could blow up a teddy bear and call it a "replica blow mold" if you like (doesn't mean it is ;) )

I believe the real cobra did have a fiberglass hood, as well as the nose, bumper, and parts of the fenders. Wonder if I could blow up a milk jug and call it a "replica Blow Mold"

Real cobras were aluminum : ) all the repops were fiberglass until lately. Now they are produced as a copy in all aluminum again. Lots of real and repop cobras in the detroit area around the mid 80's. I've sold tons of speed parts for many cobras.

Jim

Watched the vid but haven't read 5 pages of responses. Figured I'd put my two cents in. Seriously, what what this guy using? Cherry bombs? M80s? What a joke. I was expecting to see the thing blow up. Not be whittled away by someone who had no idea of what they were doing. When I was a kid we got way bigger explosions blowing up model cars. I found the ridiculesly long fuze to be more entertaining than the 'explosion'. This is just another example of someone with no skills bagging for attention. I was disappointed in the vid.

As far as subject matter goes, Ya it's a waste.

Watched the vid but haven't read 5 pages of responses. Figured I'd put my two cents in. Seriously, what what this guy using? Cherry bombs? M80s? What a joke. I was expecting to see the thing blow up. Not be whittled away by someone who had no idea of what they were doing. When I was a kid we got way bigger explosions blowing up model cars. I found the ridiculesly long fuze to be more entertaining than the 'explosion'. This is just another example of someone with no skills bagging for attention. I was disappointed in the vid.

As far as subject matter goes, Ya it's a waste.

Most "M80's" these days are just little firecrackers in a great big (fake) outer jacket. Unless you're buying them from an underground source (and it's a federal crime to do so, so that source won't be your local fireworks stand) it's not really an M80. Even if it says it is on the packaging- that's just marketing (just like "TNT brand fireworks" aren't really Trinitrotoluene.