Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
njwatkins1

What do you think of my 1st Sequence....

Great job!

How did you get the video? Is that the LOR visualizer?

The rest of your songs look like great choices too. You might have enough time to get them done:p

Great job!

How did you get the video? Is that the LOR visualizer?

The rest of your songs look like great choices too. You might have enough time to get them done:p

That is the LOR visualizer. I did a Camtasia Screen Capture and laid the audio over it. The resulting MP4 looks great, however crappy you tube might display it, lol. Thanks for the Comment. Anything you would change about it?

Thanks!

I don't think I'd change the sequence unless it looks strange with real lights. Which I don't think it will. Usually it will look better with the lights, live and in your face!

Nick,

You know what I'd change (Really)?

The beginning with the drums. I think you are revealing too much of what's there. I would just have a few of the same elements light/fade with them.

Then, when the song "really" starts it will add to the "wow" when previously unseen elements come to life.

Just a suggestion.

Nick,

Then, when the song "really" starts it will add to the "wow" when previously unseen elements come to life.

I agree, don't give away every element right off. Slowly build up. Good suggestion.

Just an agreeing suggestion.

One small thing, not no biggie. I would keep all the icecycles as one punch, not divided in two. I think it would have a bigger impact. But that's just me...

Edited by Santas Helper

Ok, you have convinced me to stop procrastinating creating my "real" animation window. That's amazing how real it looks (with the exception of the lights looking like big squares).

The sequence looks great! I agree with others above about revealing less of the display at the drum part, and it also seemed like you were a little late on a few of the drums.

It looks great though! I'm hoping to finish my first sequence tomorrow.

Hey Everyone thanks for the feedback. I'm swamped in 2 upgrade projects at the moment, so I probably won't get a chance to fix it for a week or two. I think you are right as well about both the icicles and the drums. What did you folks think about editing out the scream??

On another note.... How well do your audiences receive non-christmas songs during the show, such as but not limited to Reflections, or better yet....Pants on the Ground???? Any thoughts? Obliviously I'm not going to do an unedited version of Godsmack's Voodoo, but just trying to gauge here. If you seen my list from above you'll notice I'm in fact working on Pants on the Ground and the Imagination Movers (Disney Channel) - Jump Up. Thanks for the input...

Hey Everyone thanks for the feedback. I'm swamped in 2 upgrade projects at the moment, so I probably won't get a chance to fix it for a week or two. I think you are right as well about both the icicles and the drums. What did you folks think about editing out the scream??

On another note.... How well do your audiences receive non-christmas songs during the show, such as but not limited to Reflections, or better yet....Pants on the Ground???? Any thoughts? Obliviously I'm not going to do an unedited version of Godsmack's Voodoo, but just trying to gauge here. If you seen my list from above you'll notice I'm in fact working on Pants on the Ground and the Imagination Movers (Disney Channel) - Jump Up. Thanks for the input...

I like the edited screamless version. I have seen somebody else here that has done that, and planned to use that song this year too, also without the scream. The scream seems more Halloweenish, rather than for Christmas.

I think many will think the pants on the ground song will be funny. But some won't get it. Depending where you live, some (those with their pants on the ground) might be offended--not sure how much, but if in a "rough" neighborhood, it could lead to vandalism. Maybe edit it way down to just a 30 second clip (the song gets kinda old after a while). You are using the song only for humor effect (definitely not for its musicality) and that is accomplished right from the beginning of the song.

First of all, KUDOS for a well drawn animation, it is key for effective sequencing.

I have to admit, I've watched it 5 times,

don't change the icicle layout, they fit in with the left right channels that work with the roof lines

When you do pop the roof grid, I noticed you never do a top to bottom effect, (top fade 100-0; bottom fade 100-0; top fade 100-0)

right about the 17 second mark, the mega tree is slightly behind in timing, I don't think it's the video, as it should probably hit with the rest of the lights

Also the channels you have for your individual elements and left tree are great, but don't seem to follow much in the way of patterns very often, which fools the eye into thinking that they don't quite follow the song.

The mini tree patterns are really good too, but get a bit predictable about about 3/4 into the song. One chase I didn't see that lends itself well to this song it to start a chase where each tree takes about .3 seconds to fade up, overlapping the next tree by .1 second such that when tree 1 is finally on, tree 2 is at 66%, tree 3 @33%... then when you're getting near the end of the line have them chase off at a much faster pace.

Also at the beginning of the song, when you hit the lights with each music crash, after they go off, it will be VERY dark waiting for the next one. You don't notice it as much in the visualizer because of the porch lights, but you'll see it when you are live. Take one or two channels and fade them much slower so that they actually fade out right after the next music crash has hit.

If this is your first ever sequence, you have done an EXCELLENT job

I want Pants on the ground if you get it finished!! I'm going with lots of comical songs this year. Ive got a few xmas'y WOW songs but the rest will make everyone smile :) ... Pants on the ground WOULD BE A HIT :giggle:

I want Pants on the ground if you get it finished!! I'm going with lots of comical songs this year. Ive got a few xmas'y WOW songs but the rest will make everyone smile :) ... Pants on the ground WOULD BE A HIT :giggle:

That's funny, cause I just started on the sequencing for it. I had a few minutes today so I went ahead and worked out a tapper and looked at doing the beat wizard, which by the way can I assign a different timing to each channel? Thanks!

Nick

you can't assign different beats per channel without setting them up in seperate tracks. the cool thing about tracks is that you can "COPY" the channel to a new track and have it in both tracks where each track has it's own timing

Wow, that looks awesome. I've always done a top view of my house when doing the visualizer but that looks awesome. I'm not a huge fan of the icicles half and half. Maybe first then second story? But yeah, I think it looks really good! I'm sure it will look even better with real lights!

Well I've uploaded a new video with my revisions. That has taken a lot longer than 2 weeks. I now have 125 Channels as I have removed the Maple Tree on the Left. I've also reverted to my original idea of using simple net lights on the roof instead on the full out grid I had in the original. I've also completed my rough draft of nutrocker, coca cola christmas (Holiday's Are Comin'), Carol of the Bells (Foster's Version), and I've downloaded and modified Richard Holdman's Winter Wonderland (Alexis Phillips), which worked out extremely well I might add. I'll post videos of the other animations I've completed the rough draft on if you like. Here is the link to the updated Refelctions of Earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhRiKn0z8Cw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhRiKn0z8Cw

Let me know what you think!!!

Nick

P.S. As I state in the video description, I have a few surprises which are not included in the video and will not be until I release the real video sometime in November...

Also I'm looking at purchasing the following items if anyone has them available or knows where to get them cheap...

18" Star (Not Rope Light)

12" Star (Not Rope Light, MUST BE LED)

Clear Mini Lights (I need a bunch, I only have about 1,000 now) - est. 7,500 (don't have to be LED)

Red Mini Lights (I need a ton, I have NONE) est. 7,500

C9 Strands & Bulbs (Clear, Red, & Multi Assortment) - est. 2,500 bulbs + strands (12" spacing) to match

(2) 7' Artifical Trees (Outdoor Use) (Don't have to be prelit)

A WHOLE CRAP LOAD OF EXTENSION CORD!!!

First off, great job and you sure put me to shame for my first sequence which was last year. However I do have a question. I like how you have the very thin lines for your lights. I am just now trying to so the same thing however I cannot get the squares as small as I would like. So how did you do it? Thanks for the help.

First off, great job and you sure put me to shame for my first sequence which was last year. However I do have a question. I like how you have the very thin lines for your lights. I am just now trying to so the same thing however I cannot get the squares as small as I would like. So how did you do it? Thanks for the help.

In the top box of your animation window there are 2 boxes where you can choose the number of blocks for the length and width of the screen. Just raise those numbers and you will have a greater number of smaller boxes.