Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
terrypowerz

Official Over the top Christmas decorator - I need your Votes!

I was invited to a unique chance to be sponsored by Prilosec OTC as their official "Over-The-Top Christmas decorator"!

There are lots of entries in other categories (some much more odd) and one of the ways the judges decide is by the number of votes and comments a candidate receives.

You do have to enter an email address and pick a password to "join" to be able to vote, but unless you check that you want information and offers they will not "spam" you... I do get the offers and it is maybe once every other month tops I get an email from them. :)

Here is my Candidate profile:

http://www.officialsponsor.com/applications/view/4961

Please vote for me to help represent our community and be selected!

Thank you!

Terry :cool:

I'm sorry - what's in it for me? :P

Knowing that you helped one of your close friends, and LOR beta flood tester brother...

You have a grizzly looking mug, but nonetheless, I shall join and cast my vote for you...

Thank you... and Thank you! :P

Seriously, you want me to take my precious time from eating fruit to register for something, then vote for you so you can win? Do people on here really do that? Dont we all have something better to do? Oh yeah, never mind !!!!!

Vote coming your way. How often can you vote?

I'm just looking at some of Terry's competion and I have to tell you Terry, you are missing something very important to rally people to vote for you. One of your competitors who is look for sonsorship to find a mate has it though - obviously - since this candidate has 174 votes...

I quote "What Christian has requested if sponsored by Prilosec OTC: I'd love help in getting to where all the fabulous men are. Where is that??? I don't know either... Maybe tickets to a Giants or Warriors game, a weekend trip to Vegas, a gym membership, cooking classes?"

http://www.officialsponsor.com/applications/view/3718

Please - vote for Terry...

I've voted, would like to know if I can vote again? Its kinda a Chicago thing!

You can vote once a day... :santasmileyitty:

I voted and shall do so again tommorow
And so shall I. If we can not push Terry over 100 in the next couple of days, I'm going to go FEMA on someone...

And so shall I. If we can not push Terry over 100 in the next couple of days, I'm going to go FEMA on someone...

My vote will mean more than yours, you'll be doing it at work. I'll be doing it on my own time. Crappy government workers!!!

Invited, or clicked the 'start an application' link? :P

They sent me an email back in December (how did I forget it?) and then another just the other day letting me know that there was a second round ending April 19th...

It felt like an invitation! :)

I voted and shall do so again tommorow

Same here!!

My vote will mean more than yours, you'll be doing it at work. I'll be doing it on my own time. Crappy government workers!!!

You guys are awesome! :santasmileyitty:

You got my vote and I added it to my favorites bar so I can try to remember to do it again daily through the 19th. Having said that, you don't look anything like your avatar.