Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
ChrisL1976

Who's coming to the Chicago Mini????

You're darned right! Rather, I expect everyone will buy ME something! :)

You can buy a dmx controller and some LED's modules off me if you still looking.....LOL

You can buy a dmx controller and some LED's modules off me if you still looking.....LOL

Now that I will do :)

Nah, you want the real story?

(I'm pretty sure this is how it went down, anyway).

Long ago (maybe a year ago or more) someone (Frank I think) was saying that it was interesting how some people come off with a negative vibe when you first read their posts, but then you get to know them better and find out they are good people. He went on to say that I fell into this category for him. I told him that I'd heard that before and before the first PLUS event, a lot of folks here thought I was "a jerk" and then met me in person and decided I was ok after all. I also said that over the years I've tried to change my style to not come off "jerky" to those who don't know me (if you knew me in person, you'd know that I'm always joking around and using sarcasm for humor, but without the vocal/facial expressions, sometimes in print people think I'm just being "a jerk" when I'm totally just screwing around).

Anyway, folks on the thread, of course, then confirmed that I was indeed "a jerk", but that everyone else there was too. And the term just sort of stuck as a strange "term of affection" for those of us who hang out here on PC and consider each other good friends, even though many of us have never met (although that will change somewhat after this weekend-- the "not yet met" part anyway!)

So, as I understand it, YOU are the the Original Jerk. You're a Jerk.

Nah, you want the real story?

(I'm pretty sure this is how it went down, anyway).

Long ago (maybe a year ago or more) someone (Frank I think) was saying that it was interesting how some people come off with a negative vibe when you first read their posts, but then you get to know them better and find out they are good people. He went on to say that I fell into this category for him. I told him that I'd heard that before and before the first PLUS event, a lot of folks here thought I was "a jerk" and then met me in person and decided I was ok after all. I also said that over the years I've tried to change my style to not come off "jerky" to those who don't know me (if you knew me in person, you'd know that I'm always joking around and using sarcasm for humor, but without the vocal/facial expressions, sometimes in print people think I'm just being "a jerk" when I'm totally just screwing around).

Anyway, folks on the thread, of course, then confirmed that I was indeed "a jerk", but that everyone else there was too. And the term just sort of stuck as a strange "term of affection" for those of us who hang out here on PC and consider each other good friends, even though many of us have never met (although that will change somewhat after this weekend-- the "not yet met" part anyway!)

The Tory understandable version...

Frank said Jerk, Tim said jerk, then we all said Jerk.......end of story...

We are friendly JERKS!! It's all fun and games with this group :) Will you be in Chicago Friday evening for the get together at Carrie's, Judy?? If so we can explain it to you... Jerk is a good term around here most of the time ;) Although that Alan guy... He says it to be rude! I look forward to meeting and hopefully hanging out with you in Chicago Judy :)

And I am looking forward to meeting and hanging out with you in Chicago, too! I'm going to do my darndest to make it to Chicago in time for the Friday pizza night...but I probably won't be there by five, so somebody save me some 'za!

Thanks for all the explanations everybody! I'd go over and read the SORRY thread, but then I'd never have time to get ready for the trip!

I hope you guys video Tory getting the swirly.

Chuck, that made my day! I have to say...this mini will certainly be interesting to say the least!

Chuck, that made my day! I have to say...this mini will certainly be interesting to say the least!

Better watch out... There has been a lot of talk about giving the guests who are underage a swirly because you are not able to partake in the fancy drinks we will have...

Glenview Weather

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36656[/ATTACH]

See Carrie, I told you it was going to rain on Friday, but would clear up on Saturday! I knew that because in WNY we are one day behind you weather wise.

Not sure where Drew got the no rain at all weather forcast from!

Greg

50's is still t-shirt weather up here. Really!

This is the time of the year the foreigners really stick out.;)

Another tough Northerner!

I agree Ernie, and I will only wear a t-shirt on Saturday - my Chicagoland original (2006)!

Greg

edit -to prevent this from going anywhere it shouldn't, knowing the JERKS reading this, let me add that my ensemble will also include jeans!

Now we have that straight!

I will be wearing shorts and a t-shirt as well, in my front yard at my yard sale. I should say divorce sale as most of it is the ex's. LOL

What a JERK... selling your ex's belongings without her knowing it... Hope she doesn't call the cops on you!

William and I just completed a Skype video call so we're all set for an EPIC video-conference call on Saturday!

What about a video call on Friday?? Jerk! will one of you be capturing this call to post on YouTube for all to comment on??? :)

What a JERK... selling your ex's belongings without her knowing it... Hope she doesn't call the cops on you!

I'm sorry....At this point , from what I've heard, he doesn't really care!!!

Edit..."I'm sorry" is becoming second nature even in the threads that don't need it:p

Edited by Toymakr000

Finally arrived here at the Courtyard last night.

Flying from Norwich (UK) - Amsterdam - O Hare Chicago took 8 hours.

Driving the 9 miles from O Hare to the Courtyard took 3.5 hours. When the sun is not out we dont know whats North , East, South or West. :)

So far been thru 1 toll without paying :(

Now you know how we lost the British Empire ;)

Looking forward to meeeting you all.

Finally arrived here at the Courtyard last night.

Flying from Norwich (UK) - Amsterdam - O Hare Chicago took 8 hours.

Driving the 9 miles from O Hare to the Courtyard took 3.5 hours. When the sun is not out we dont know whats North , East, South or West. :)

So far been thru 1 toll without paying :(

Now you know how we lost the British Empire ;)

Looking forward to meeeting you all.

If the Toll Bridges are like they are in Florida, they may have your rental on Camera and they will be sending the Rental company a photo and ticket :P

Looking forward to meeting a Decorator from the UK myself! What are your plans in Chicago for today? Kinda bad that it took you 3.5 hrs to go 9miles :(