Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
ChrisL1976

Who's coming to the Chicago Mini????

So far been thru 1 toll without paying :(

Linda

Go online and pay the toll. SERIOUSLY....your car rental company will get a bill if it is not paid for around $75 dollars. My father in law got one 3 months ago. They just said on the news that rental car companies are now charging the renters credit card any traffic fees associated with the car during the rental period.

here's the link to pay your toll.

http://www.illinoistollway.com/portal/page?_pageid=133,2008701&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Linda

Go online and pay the toll. SERIOUSLY....your car rental company will get a bill if it is not paid for around $75 dollars. My father in law got one 3 months ago. They just said on the news that rental car companies are now charging the renters credit card any traffic fees associated with the car during the rental period.

http://www.illinoistollway.com/portal/page?_pageid=133,2008701&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

The rental agreement I had in Florida said this, plus they will tack on an "administrative" fee of something like $30. I believe IL gives you a week or so to pay online w/ no penalty.

Linda

The rental agreement I had in Florida said this, plus they will tack on an "administrative" fee of something like $30. I believe IL gives you a week or so to pay online w/ no penalty.

WOW... That is Crazy!!!!! I will be making SURE to pay any Toll that I pass through! This is good information for anyone coming to Chicago to know when getting a rental!

I'm here also. 10 hour drive, plus additional 45 minutes going up the 90 through Chicago... geesh!

And that was not during drive time!

Let the parties begin!

I'm here also. 10 hour drive, plus additional 45 minutes going up the 90 through Chicago... geesh!

And that was not during drive time!

Let the parties begin!

Dang... Looks like that drive on the 90 will be killer for everyone... I too have a 9-10hour drive with the time change, I will have to factor in a little more time it looks like... I will be hitting the road from Northern NC to Chicago at 4am in the morning!! Lots of Frappes from MCD in the early morning hours ;)

Dang... Looks like that drive on the 90 will be killer for everyone... I too have a 9-10hour drive with the time change, I will have to factor in a little more time it looks like... I will be hitting the road from Northern NC to Chicago at 4am in the morning!! Lots of Frappes from MCD in the early morning hours ;)

at that time you should be safe. See you tomorrow!

Try to do it quietly. I'll be sleeping at 4 am.

Ooh! And since I'm taking a COD tomorrow I get to sleep late! (Sally is taking a COD tomorrow as well.)

Linda

We got a slip from a toll booth to send off payment but can not pay this way as they want a cheq or money order not cash.

We can't pay on line as we are out of country . Phoning the car rental Co for advice.

We got a slip from a toll booth to send off payment but can not pay this way as they want a cheq or money order not cash.

We can't pay on line as we are out of country . Phoning the car rental Co for advice.

Dump the car somewhere, set it on fire and then report it stolen. Then deny knowing anything about the toll. Geez! You Brits could learn a thing or two from Dano.

at that time you should be safe. See you tomorrow!

I will not be getting into Chicago till around 3-4pm... So I hope the traffic will not be tooo bad then either, I am expecting it to be slammed around 5pm.

@Chuck... I will try to be as loud as I can, maybe you will hear it in Miami... Hope you and Sally have FUN CODing all night and day

If I were to start driving first thing in the morning do you think I could make it? :P

It's very possible you would be there by Saturday's events! Give it a shot! Maybe Toyota can sponsor you and Judy :P

It's very possible you would be there by Saturday's events! Give it a shot! Maybe Toyota can sponsor you and Judy :P

I'm sorry you don't recognize sarcasm when you see it. It took me 2 days to drive to the FL mini in Tampa from Miami.

I'm sorry you don't recognize sarcasm when you see it. It took me 2 days to drive to the FL mini in Tampa from Miami.

I'm sorry, but this is not the place for being SORRY... But I did recognize the sarcasm! That would be the reason for the smiley (:P).... :)

My girlfriend and I are attending, we just registered yesterday. We both got the addiction last year and are looking forward to learning more.

We veterans of the Decorating community and PC Look forward to meeting you!! :)

My girlfriend and I are attending, we just registered yesterday. We both got the addiction last year and are looking forward to learning more.

Welcome to PC. Since your bio says you don't have a display yet, you're in for a treat. There will be people in Chicago who have been decorating for years and years and can help you get started off right. You might want to start buying extension cords now.

Try to do it quietly. I'll be sleeping at 4 am.

Ooh! And since I'm taking a COD tomorrow I get to sleep late! (Sally is taking a COD tomorrow as well.)

I predict a third tent will be getting pitched.

I'm sorry I have a V-Flood and V-drive kit here... maybe I should bring it and William can bring some parts and complete them at the event to show everyone how easy it is!

;)

I am looking forward to meeting you! :cool:

Remember the first rule of fight club is....

Opps! Sorry wrong forum! :o

The first rule of PC is.... ignore Tory :P

I'm sorry I have a V-Flood and V-drive kit here... maybe I should bring it and William can bring some parts and complete them at the event to show everyone how easy it is!

;)

Terry!! That really does sound like a Good Idea, I could really benefit from it! I want a few VFloods :)

I am looking forward to meeting you! :cool:

Remember the first rule of fight club is....

Opps! Sorry wrong forum! :o

The first rule of PC is.... ignore Tory :P

I always thought it was to ignore that JERK Chuck Hutchings who is always correcting spelling etc...

Ahhh, don't worry. One of us with checkbooks or credit cards would be able to pay for you.