Recycle your old lights for Cash

Hello Everybody.

This last week I started to take down the lights from our 150,000 light display. Weather has been crazy here in Utah. It actually snowed a good inch this morning.

We left our lights up from the 2008 display so we could use them again in 2009. This saved us about 100 man hours or more since we did not have to take them down and put them back up.

Some of them faded a little bit but after 2010 most of them were faded more than I would like so I planned on throwing them all away. The last few days I have been taking them down with a pair of tin snips which is much faster. :)

I threw away about 50,000 of the lights and was getting ready to throw away the rest but I have a older sister than wanted to take them down to the recycling place. I gave her about 50,000 lights and was surprised to learn they gave her $150 for them. Now I am wishing I did not throw away those other 50,000 lights.

There are about 50,000 more lights I have to take down that I promised I would give her but I was surprised that they even took them with all the bulbs, glass, etc.

So if you have a lot of extra lights sitting around that you plan on tossing out, you might want to recycle them.

What type of recycling facility was it? Scrap metal? Were they specifically paying for the copper content? Or was this a state specific "turn in your incandescent bulbs" program?

just curious.

I will have to ask her but I think it was for copper content. She has turned in old wiring there before I guess.

I thought everybody did that?!

If I don't have a lot, I put them in the recycle bin. If I have a lot I take them to work and throw them in the wire recycle bin. We get several hundred dollars a year for recycling scrap wire. It pays for our work BBQ and a pizza party.

I was actually crying reading Richard's post.....

Wipe away your tears young fella. I'm still bringing you my dead strings...

I will bring my Buzz Box to the NJ mini...We will have those strings fixed in no time....:P

I will bring my Buzz Box to the NJ mini...We will have those strings fixed in no time....:P
Actually, I have a small 16oz container with a bunch of replacement bulbs in a bunch of different colors which goes with the dead strings. Us smug LED users have no need for such things anymore...smiley-cool14.gif

Actually, I have a small 16oz container with a bunch of replacement bulbs in a bunch of different colors which goes with the dead strings. Us smug LED users have no need for such things anymore...smiley-cool14.gif

Since Dan is getting the broken strings, can I assume that I'll be getting all the working ones?

LOL...come on Frank do honestly think I would let you down and not have the weber tree sitting there in my backyard? I know you are use to being let down by Dan, but you can't compare all of us Jersey Guys alike. Remember Dan lives up in North Jersey....We in the south believe in following through on promises that we make to others......

LOL...come on Frank do honestly think I would let you down and not have the weber tree sitting there in my backyard? I know you are use to being let down by Dan, but you can't compare all of us Jersey Guys alike. Remember Dan lives up in North Jersey....We in the south believe in following through on promises that we make to others......

You also keep your couch and refrig on the front porch!

You also keep your couch and refrig on the front porch!

I'm sorry, but are you running for office?

At least ours isn't stolen...

WOW, you Jersey guys just can't get along. Please settle down, you are all from Jersey. You should all be supportive of each other while the whole rest of the world cracks on you. Bunch of landfill loving pineys!!!