Getting harder and harder to get molds these days...

Guest Scot Meyers

All

I was back in Michcigan for my grandmothers funeral last week. I took some time to go to bronner's (seeing that i was oly 45 min away) I went there looking to replace my blowmold star. I spoke with wayne Bronner about the molds. He advised me that they no longer could get a replacement mold star. and that its was becoming more difficult to get molds IS this Really the trend? are the molds really going away? I know some companies have folded and others have bought thier molds. but it seems like the sunset has begun on christmas blow molds. I fear that this wonderful icon of cristmas decorating will be gone forever

Scott, you need to check in here more frequently. ;) We have been lamenting the loss of blow mold company's for several years now. There are only two manufacturer's currently producing molds..General Foam and Drainage. I understand that another company, Prime, is supposed to start producing molds, but so far it hasn't happened.

Craig's List, feebay, yard, estate and garage sales are the best place to look now.

Isnt the New Grand Venture producing molds again?

I will be making an order with General Foam. If anyone needs anything, please email me. So far getting alot of requests for the Halloween Alien, Santa Train Tender Car, and other odds and ends.

Mark

Now you see why blowmolds are almost as much a sport in finding them as it is collecting. They are harder and harder to find new. Will things change? only time will tell. There is a market out there for them but the moron retailers won't carry them.

Ahh, but there is always Menards! he he

Seriously, Menards did carry some GF last year and at least here, those molds blew out the doors. So I'm hoping they will expand their inventory this year and carry even more. Unfortunately, I have all the GF molds I really need or want, but for other folks, I'm sure its great.

yep they are.

I think Brad has experience with these moron companies, don't you work at one? :)

I think his first hand experience with a moron company gives him the right to call them what they really are!! ;)

Any moron retailer who doesn't see or realise the market out there for Blow Molds if they were to be brought back and sold in their Christmas Decor lines are truely crazy...

That's what Brad said..he said they were "morons" and you are saying that you doubt that they are not morons..so you and Brad are in agreement! :)
No I am not in agreement with Brad. Never will be. Retailers are not morons and I am tired of people accusing the retailers all the time.

Then who is to blame for not carrying blowmolds? Can't blame the people... they don't order them for the stores? The powers at be for the retailers decide what gets ordered. The rode the inflatable craze for years and now that has died down now so they need to get back to the blowmolds. They fly off the shelves. Could you imagine if they ordered stuff such as choir people, santa sled, reindeer, etc how long they would stay on the shelves? Not very long! Win win situation.

No I am not in agreement with Brad. Never will be. Retailers are not morons and I am tired of people accusing the retailers all the time.

Okay, what you wrote and what you meant were different. Sorry you don't agree with Brad. I was in retail for 15 years, buyers often do not know what will and won't sell. I think that blow molds would sell if Store Buyers had more knowledge. I do agree with Brad's position about inflatables..and I would add that one of the main considerations for stores is stock space. Molds do take up more room and eat valuable stock space. But, I also saw them fly out the door at Menards this year. Store Buyer's will evaluate the sales and go from there. Its a money game and not much more.

they are morons. Take menards for example. they sold out of xmas molds in about a month and a half. knowing the manager he said its a storage and money problem that keeps them from buying them. i mean after xmas i think in feb. when my roomie was up there they had xmas puffies 75% and about 40 still left on shelves. blowmolds never went on clearence they sold quick. they had a bigger selection this year and made more money. unless they have money problems they are truley idiots for not getting a bigger selection.... i worked for walmart for 13 years there are stupid people in corporate it comes down to one moron and one morons idea lol.

Edited by Carrie Sansing

I have heard about inquiries to some retailers here, ie: Wal-Mart, TruValue, etc. as to why they don't carry molds , or a bigger selection of molds.

The answer is usually "they don't sell very well". My experience here is that they have never carried them, so how would they know how they will sell. The ones they do carry are always the same ones . Makes no sense. If one carries the same ones year in and year out, in a couple of years or so, they will not sell. Everyone who is interested in them will already have bought them.

Get some different ones in stock and they will sell.

Edited by razlfratz

I have heard about inquiries to some retailers here, ie: Wal-Mart, TruValue, etc. as to why they don't carry molds , or a bigger selection of molds.

The answer is usually "they don't sell very well". My experience here is that they have never carried them, so how would they know how they will sell. The ones they do carry are always the same ones . Makes no sense. If one carries the same ones year in and year out, in a couple of years or so, they will not sell. Everyone who is interested in them will already have bought them.

Get some different ones in stock and they will sell.

Exactly, I am tired of K-Mart always selling the same designs. We have no Menards near me and Wal-Mart hasn't sold them for a few years now.

I think you hit it right on the head with that post Chuck!!

Exactly, I am tired of K-Mart always selling the same designs. We have no Menards near me and Wal-Mart hasn't sold them for a few years now.

I think you hit it right on the head with that post Chuck!!

Thanks. I would be in the market for a lot more molds but they are just not there. I am not going to be interested in buyig a Nativity set, Santa, and snowman just like the ones I bought two or three years ago. Yet, that is what was in the stores this year, what stores that carried molds.

Most did not even carry them down here this year. Very few last year.

Also very hard to find at yard sales, thrift sales and the like. I guess there just aren't many to be had here in this area unless one does Ebay or something.