Getting Excited Already!

H2Opolo15

Well, as we venture into the month of May, the Christmas lights season draws ever closer my big box-o-lights arrival drawers closer as well. (I believe estimated arrival time is some time in July) It's going to give a new definition to Christmas in July!

But I have a question, this year I'm planning on making my lights "change color" if you will, and I was wondering what would be a good way of going about putting the lights up so I don't have to go around and up and down trees three times each? I'm thinking about using zip ties but I was wondering if anyone else had anything else to add that is maybe easier/more cost efficient?

Also, I would love to hear about everyones summer plans for preparing for October/November (putting up the lights). I know I'm going to be sequencing my butt off almost all summer, I only have 2 of my 18 songs sequenced!

Last year I wrapped my big Maple tree in the front for the first time in three colors. It was a lot of work but looked great. I wrapped each color on top of the next. Taking it down was a Pain in the ... The lights settled a bit so thy ended up falling on top of one another. This year I'm going to try and tie wrap them to plastic snow fence strips first. Then put those strips up. hopefully it will make it much faster!!

• 2 weeks later...

Only 7 months to go until the lights come on and I have a long ways to go. I zip tie my multiples every 3 feet or so as it keeps the bulbs from tangling in the lines. My boxes of new lights came in today. 24000 more little sparkling bulbs !! I am so excited....... No time to go fishing this weekend !

I used two methods on my Maple tree this year (its 80 feet, I went to 60 feet), 3 colors. I made mega strings, basically braided 3 color strings together using zip ties. Ran some of these strings up the tree vertically (there are permanent nails in the tree to hang the light strings on), spread the strings out a bit for even coverage. I also wrapped other limbs individually, doing three strings at a time. But, I also used a bucket truck this year..made it go really quickly. It used to take a day and half, cut the time down to 6 hours. If you can rent a lift, trust me, its worth it in terms of time and energy (climbing that tree every year was a nightmare!)