Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
TED

Video security system with 8 cameras

Seems ok, but if you read the feedback comments, you will see that this does not have great customer service, so keep that in mind if you have any problems, you will have some problems getting them resolved. And you can always upgrade the cameras later down the line. I suppose I am kind of not impressed with the 30' night vision and a few comments about the limited field of view.

Tiger Direct also has an 8 camera system by Q-See that I purchased last week after my out building was broken into. It is 50 bucks more than the night owl system, but it comes with four wide angle cameras and four regular cameras. I installed the system in two evenings with no problems. It hooks up easy and the menus are easy to navigate. The pictures are fairly clear and the night vision is better than I expected. I haven't tried to set up the network that allows it to be viewed over the internet so I can't speak on that. It records on a 500GB hard drive but I don't have a feel for how long it will record before it starts to record over the oldest files. I haven't had any problems and would recommend this system to anyone who needs to keep an eye on things when you can't be there.

I’ve been doing some research for video security systems. I’m no expert and just sharing what I’ve learned. Again, all info is from what I gathered from the net. If I provide bad info, please someone correct me.

IMO, the point of having a video security system is to identify the person or persons via video that caused the incident. If your video is unable to identify the person due to bad quality, then the video security system defeats the purpose and is basically useless.

The first system I believe is not a good choice. I don’t think you or anyone would be happy with the quality of the system. It doesn’t have to be HD quality (would be nice), but at least VCR quality. There are 2 things to consider then choosing a system….how good quality you want the video and how much are you willing to spend.

Here is why this system would not be a good choice and what you should be looking for in a system. I’m only pointing out the important items. Again, this info is what I gathered from reading online. I don’t have first hand knowledge.

DVR:

Record Frame Rate: 240 @ CIF (30fps per camera x 8)

Recoding Resolution: 352x240 (CIF)

You want to be able to record 30fps per camera. This gives you “real time” motion recording. Most reasonable priced DVR will record at CIF at 30fps, but make sure the total fps equals 30. I’ve seen many DVR at 15fps or 7.5fps. Your recording will be choppy. So anything less than [email protected] CIF avoid. Just be aware the CIF resolution is small. It will probably be okay with a “good” quality system. D1 recording would be ideal and for a “best” quality system. The resolution is 704x480. Much bigger picture, better resolution. Most all DVR also offer the option to record in D1 (like this one did), but it fails to show the Recoding Frame Rate. You just have to assume or more likely its 60fps or 7.5fps per camera in D1. Way to choppy. When recoding in D1, you lose fps unless the DVR specs show it. And if it could record at “real time” in D1, it would show it…those are high end models and cost a lot more.

Most all DVR has options for record modes (motion, continuous, ect) so not concern with that….most are the same. Also make sure it has Pentaplex which is the ability to Record, Playback and Remote Access simultaneously. As for the HDD, just big enough to your liking and its upgradable to larger if you wish to do so. And backup is USB….forget the CD/DVD writer. Cost extra, limited to space. Network capable is a nice feature. You can login and see remotely anywhere in the world from a PC or your phone. Kinda nice to check up on you house when away or if you want to see if you neighbor is coming over while you’re at work J

DVR Conclusion:

DVR needs to be 30fps @ CIF for a “good” system. 30fps @ D1 for a “best” system. Pentaplex is a nice option if you want to view and record at the same time. Network is also a nice option.

Camera:

Image Sensor:

One more thing I want to add...

I didn’t think about going this route, but you can buy a Full D1 30fps video capture card for a PC. 8CH cost less than a $100 and I can buy a new PC with monitor with plenty of speed & memory for around $300. I actually have an old one that would do the trick, but I was going to give it to my nephew. And being windows base, I should have no problems with the software. Only downfall I see is the OS support is XP or Vista 32-bit. Win7 64-bit is not supported. I believe I will go that route and end up having my “best” system with Full D1 recording capable. Glad I looked deeper.

Here is 8Ch video capture card on ebay for $77

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-CH-240fps-Full-D1-8CH-DVR-BNC-PCI-Video-Capture-Card-/270672590716?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0557f77c

Someone stole some of our inflatables two weeks after putting them up this year. We did buy the Night Owl system with the 8 camera's.

The system is very easy to set up and we don't know about their service because we did not need it.

What we have found is their 35 foot camera's are great in the day time. At night they are only really good for about 20 to 25 feet depending on the amount of light you have outdoors.

We bought some extra 45 foot camera's and those are much better and do not cost that much. We also found we needed to buy some 100' cables. The 60' cables did not seem to really cover that much.

We got hit a second time and we got it all on video. Enough that the local police where able to tell who it was since the person was known to them.

We had bought the system on black Friday when they had $200 off of it so the price was right for what you get. If you are looking for super hi-res this is not the system but so far it appears to do what we wanted it to do.

We put signs up advising people that if they could see the sign, they are being recorded. That seems to help and gets them to smile. ;-)

Really is to bad that it has got to the point that we all have to become security experts so that we can provide displays for our neighborhoods. ;(

We will not let them beat us. We are doing some things during the year to make our yard more secure. We are adding 5' tall Wrought Iron fencing to our front yard to try to deter them next year.

continuing with Crackers comments,

here is a video from a local store that shows the difference between CCD and CMOS cameras

Edited by Paul D
typo

I install camers, there are great folks at www.cctvhotdeals.com up north. I have an 8 channel dvr, next christmas will be up to 16 after I got some 28"Sheep stolen out of my life size nativity, way more cameras out front with the alarm turned on those yard cameras.Half of mine are pan, tilt, zoom cameras.

Edited by okshadow

If you are going to buy ZMODO systems I would suggest buying them direct from their Web Site and save yourself a bunch of money.

We have systems from both Tiger Direct and Sams and found they are great as long as you use them within their spec's and don't try to make more of them then what they are.

great view.

Just got my Zmoda 16 channel with HDMI, 32" monitor, 4 PTZ cameras and 6 HI res Cams, got 6 Christmas Channels for My display. I love My view

view.jpg

1acctv.jpg

Edited by okshadow

i was at Sams club over the weekend and found a self contained battery opperated camera. These are used for critter and wildlife filming. They are triggered by inferred proximithy and use memory cards to record on. The (8) AA batterys have a suprising recording time. They also have inferred lights for night time recording. Best of all $95.00. No power cords and no cables necessary.

Just order two of these. Wasnt happy with the first two that I got, but the comapy worked with me to find these. Needed a wide angle view.

http://www.securityc...-36-2-8-10W.asp

did you have luck with these cameras for outdoors?

also, what dvr system are you using?

I am in need of an outdoor system but it needs to be able to handle extreme heat and cold.

great view.

view.jpg

1acctv.jpg

How do you like your system?

How is the DVR interface?

Any pros / cons you would share?

I need a system asap and there is so much stuff out there I do not know where to begin.

***ht owl dvr. Very happy wih it. The new cameras are extreme wide angle 2.8 dome style. They do a pretty good job.

I need a system asap and there is so much stuff out there I do not know where to begin.

I really like the system and will add 4 cameras ro the front yard specific for Christmas this year, two in the Nativity and two on the street covering the cars in front of the house plus the other 6 in the front now. the part I like is I can look at it from my phone anyplace in the world.DSC05563.JPG

I bought a zmodo system the same as the link i am adding.Has been flawless so far.You just cant beat the price for this system.I just ordered a ptz camera to add to my system.Bought it last august.

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

Edited by wallleyes

I bought a zmodo system the same as the link i am adding.Has been flawless so far.You just cant beat the price for this system.I just ordered a ptz camera to add to my system.Bought it last august.

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

So what PTZ did You get.

I love the system, I just got one of the D1 DVR's in for a customer and two cameras with the tag reading software, will be interesting to see if any differance.

I just ordered the Zmodo. I tired of the kids knocking down the decorations and stealing them from the yard.

Edited by TexasKate