Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
jgwood

Light up ohio 2011

I have A question for LIGHT UP OHIO for next year .As some one that was involved behind the scenes {in a small way} what do you feel we can due different next year food classes venders. Wile this event is put on by Scott. Bill and Jeff P it is done for us the attendants .So we need your input as to what you are interested in. I heard some people saying that hey would like to see and here about other displays. What about shirts don

Gregg,

Pictures would be a great idea during the introductions at the beginning of the LUO when everyone stands up. Instead of each person standing up in seat order Scott could get pictures in advance (upon registration) and then put them in alphabetical order by persons name. Then as Scott scrolls through the slide show the person can stand up and introduce him/her self and a little display description, and maybe even a short question and answer!!

This may get some interesting conversation going with people that wouldn't normally ask.

BTW:

Just to make things easier on Scott, I'd be willing to do the photo editing ( cropping and sizing) to make everything the same size, format, and file type for the projector....

Edited by Toymakr000

It would be nice to have a larger place or a place with a larger group area for the meet & greet. I know that there were some of us that didn't get to sit with the rest of the group due to limited seating. Also, it would be nice to have any presentations available to take home for any that wanted them. Have everyone bring a thumb drive that wants them or burn a few disks ahead of time.

My $0.02,

-Keith

It would be nice to have a larger place or a place with a larger group area for the meet & greet. I know that there were some of us that didn't get to sit with the rest of the group due to limited seating. Also, it would be nice to have any presentations available to take home for any that wanted them. Have everyone bring a thumb drive that wants them or burn a few disks ahead of time.

My $0.02,

-Keith

Keith,

The Meet and Greet has been one of my pet peaves ever since we started Light Up Ohio. I'm not talking about the great places that Tony has selected, him and his wife have done an excellent job over the years, I'm talking about the exact same thing you just said "being able to sit with everybody and share ideas as a group session, so everybody can hear and input". It's really almost impossible to do, if we stick with meeting at a restaurant, because they either require you to reserve a banquet room (BIG $$$$$), or accommodate us in a separate room with separate tables, which is not the restaurants fault, it's just not what we are looking for. So I came up with 2 viable solutions to the problem, and I'm open to others. First off, let me stress that renting out a big banquet room is not an option simply because of funding. We try to keep Light Up Ohio at the very minimum cost for attendees, and charge just enough to pay the bills, and we usually break even, and even at that sometimes me and Scott have to dig in our own pockets to pay the bills, so there's not a any extra money floating around. So here's what I'm thinking. #1 We could hold hands-on classes on Friday night before the main event. We can probably get the building about 6pm, and do some hands-on classes where you would actually get to make something to take home, or just learn to do something like soldering. Along with that, we could bring food in, and have the Cafeteria open for non formal discussions, like a round table type setting. Also, after the people were done with their hands on, they could join in and we could all talk one on one, and actually be able to join in. #2 We could have the Meet and Greet at someone's house, and I've actually already talked to a couple in the Columbus area at the Meet and Greet, and they didn't see any problem with it. We could have food brought in, and it would be open to just pull up a chair and chit chat with whoever you wanted to. This is the way they do it at the Chicago mini, and to tell you the truth, I kind of like it simply because you can get involved in whatever subject you want.

Let's hear more thoughts about this subject!! We can talk about the presentations after we discuss this for awhile, and I thank you for your comments, it will get some good discussion going.

Bill

Edited by Bill Hoffman

Geez... I hope not!!!

Nope - even years always seem to be right. It's those odd years that trip Scott up.

Oddiphobia. Fear of odd numbers.

Nope - even years always seem to be right. It's those odd years that trip Scott up.

Oddiphobia. Fear of odd numbers.

Late with the reply. In Scott's defense, the error was my fault this year (and my screen printer for not noticing it either), working too fast, not paying attention... sigh...

Rob, your neighborhood display looks awesome. I have never seen it in person, but it was on the Columbus news the other night. I guess I didn't realize what a great job you guys do, I should have known. I need to get up that way to see it, it is truly amazing.

Bill

Rob, your neighborhood display looks awesome. I have never seen it in person, but it was on the Columbus news the other night. I guess I didn't realize what a great job you guys do, I should have known. I need to get up that way to see it, it is truly amazing.

Bill

Come on Bill, I've seen it in person the last 3 years and I live in Indianapolis. You need to step it up.

Hey Rob, Glad your going good there in Buckeye land, My sister-in-law email me this morning about your video on

"http://nbc4i.com/" I had to laugh at her and told her that I meet wend you only had four houses :-)

Thanks gents! Jerry, I remember bragging that I had someone come all the way from the left coast to see my display ;)

I know it's only Jan 2nd, but I'm already looking forward to LUO 2011!

So far we know the date and it's in columbus. Are we planning to have the meet and greet this year? If so I plan on making it this time

Rob

Hi Rob,

Planing of LUO 2011 is in full swing now, just waiting for the holidays to be over. We will be having a Meet and Greet, I haven't gotten in touch with Tony yet, to hash out the details. I've been in contact with a few people that are willing to have it at their home, which would be a more personal learning experience, but not sure how that is going to pan out yet. We will start a LUO 2011 thread very soon. In the meantime, you can always get up to date developments by going to www.lightupohio.com. There hasn't been a lot of converstation there during the holidays, but it is starting to pick up. One new develpment that I am very excited about is we are adding a Halloween theme to the Christmas theme, so we will be covering both areas this year. Stay tuned for developments.

Bill