Wanting to build firesticks...whatever you call them

I've been reading these forums all weekend, getting ideas on construction. But OMG...where do you find lights that aren't priced out of this world? I own a retail flower shop in Alabama and I use my LOR controller in my window displays to get more attention...my most recent idea is to contruct 5 eight foot poles of light, with 7 channels each...which equals 35 strands of light. I don't have any excess clear lights in storage.

So I go to Ebay or all of the other online stores...wow, how can folks charge $7-10 or more for a box of 100 lights when they sell in the stores for $1.99-$2.99 at Christmas? Are they gouging me because it's the "off" season?

I did find one Ebay seller than had a box of 100 clear for $2.59...I emailed him to see if he had 35 boxes in stock and if I would get a discount for quantity. And wow...shippping won't be cheap either.

Anyone have any good sources for cheap lights in the summer? Thanks in advance!

Go to buy/sell/trade and post that you wtb however many strings of mini's. I'm sure you can find someone willing to part with some of their light stash for a reasonable cost....

Keep in mind the difference between quality mini lights and those from the BIG BOX stores at end of season (not to be confused with high quality). If you were a home improvement store and ordered 200,000 + strings of lights you would likely get a quanity discount. Add to that the cost of storing 10,000 stings for 11 months and you can guess why the end of season reductions in price.

• 5 weeks later...

Another place to check, Goodwill or Habitat For Humanity ReStores.. the ReStore in Mesa (Phoenix) had a large (3' x 3') box FILLED with light sets for $5, had to be 100+ sets in it, for $5.. were some of them busted/junk, probably, but for $5?