Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
drivemewilder

Mega-tree bases

I would like to start a thread, getting pictures of your bases. I'm rebuilding mine this year and i'm looking for ideas. It would be nice to have 1 location with several pictures for access. I did some searching around, but after scrolling through page after page, thread after thread i decided to see if you all would be willing to post your pictures. I know there are some common bases, as well as some very unique ones.

I must have started a dumb thread. 24 hrs and 51 views later, not a single response. I was hoping to have several pics posted so i can take those ideas and start building something today.

I just use 1/2" pvc pipe cut to fit the diameter I want and then use cable ties to connect the lights to the pipe. Not much to show in a picture.

Another option is no base...

For my base I simply spray paint a ring on the ground. Then I subdivide it with small hatch marks. Then I stake my lights right to the ground.

I did something similar as Toymakr000, I only had half of a Mega Tree last year, and I just took some stakes and pounded each on into the ground about 6 inches, and just took the lights straight down to it. It worked really good, and it held up all season.

Jesse

I made one out of light weight steel. Its 2 halfs of a circle that clamp around my 2 inch Pole. Bolts together at the split and I have a retaining ring that holds it up in the middle

Here is a picture of mine. It is 5' round and 2' tall. I got the idea from pictures I saw here and here. My tree pole is 1 1/2" galvanized pipe. It sits on a steel base my father-in-law made for me. I posted a picture of it in a different thread here.

1/2" gray electrical conduit zip tied to 8 dog stakes. The pole (1 1/4" gal. pipe) slides into a 3' sleeve cemented into the ground. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but not in this case...

Here is a picture of mine. It is 5' round and 2' tall. I got the idea from pictures I saw here and here. My tree pole is 1 1/2" galvanized pipe. It sits on a steel base my father-in-law made for me. I posted a picture of it in a different thread here.

Those are great if you have a level yard, my front yard is about a 25 to 35 degree slope up towards the street. Lots of fun mowing the lawn.

Won't be any trouble for me to mow the lawn as that is what the wife does. :) I just do the trimming around stuff. Actually, after I commited to the 10' tree I put a 6' round "planter" in the front yard where this will be located. It is filled with rock and has a birdbath and feeder in it. In the winter I will remove those and add my tree. Hoping in the future to put a 20' flag pole in this area.

Well, I don't have a picture, but I'll get you one this evening. I used a 4' piece of 4" PVC with a srew coupler. I drove that into the ground flush and capped it off. When Christmas comes around, I remove the cap and screw in the coupler attached to the 10' piece of PVC that is my Mega tree. No fuss and easy to do by yourself.