It all comes down to this... MBB or WHT ( Another FM Transmitter Question)

Which FM transmitter do I choose!?!?  

1. 1. Which FM transmitter do I choose!?!?

• Whole House Transmitter 2.0
    • Mobile Black Box Eclipse-4000

Well, it's starting. Summer, that means that Christmas light season is quickly approaching! I think that means about 5 months from now? I have 4.5/18 songs sequenced plus I need to order another LOR controller (during the summer sale) and a new FM transmitter (the reason for this thread.

I realize the decision is ultimately up to me, but I would like you all to help me as well. The final battle is between the Mobile Black Box Eclipse-4000 and the new Whole House FM Transmitter 2.0 which is available June 24... Now here are the facts about each product...

Eclipse-4000

• Assured quality that has been backed up by people on PC itself.
  • A loyal fan base
  • $130
  • VERY long range. Possibly too long? I don't want any FCC agents knocking on my door because they were listening to my lights a few miles away...

or...

The Whole House Transmitter 2.0

• From what I've heard the first edition was exceptional. So I can't see 2.0 being anything less.
  • 30 day money back guarantee!
  • $125
  • They have already made sure the range is FCC permitted...
  • Seems to be a very personal and friendly business...

So many questions so little time!!! Please guys! Help me out here! I need your input!!

the whole house transmitters are deigned for inside a house and reports on these have been very mixed to say the least.

Actually I have used my WHT for 2 seasons now with perfect reception for around 200-300 feet each side of my display which is perfect for it. The previous reports though are based off of the old model and yes, I have heard it go both way which I pretty much think is based on the frequency usage for your area. Around here,the upper range which is all the original WHT covered is pretty empty.

This new model appears to be more in line with the MBB transmitters....full FM range....broadcasts in stero. Looks to be a nicer device.

H20polo15

Actually the WHT 2.0 is $99.99 There is a $25 off coupon code (25off) you enter in right before you pay.

You also might consider this transmitter from C Crane along with this modification. At $70.00 it is one of the cheaper options out there.

I used this FM Transmitter last season and was very displeased with the sound quality. It got perfect range but you could barely hear my music over all the static. This happened on no matter what channel I was on... So C Crane is definitely out of the question.

I think most people here are going to be EDM or Ramsey. I'm a Ramsey user myself...

I'm a little hesitant to use EDM or Ramsey because I don't know know if I would be able to construct it myself? I have heard good things about both transmitters tho? I guess if I found something the Ramsey/EDM transmitters have that is leaps and bound better than either MBB or WHT I would begin to consider them but at this point I don't think I would be able to build these? So I guess I have some reservations about theses...

How easily are they assembled?

What is their range like?

How is the quality?

How much do they cost?

What makes them better than MBB or WHT?

I'm a little hesitant to use EDM or Ramsey because I don't know know if I would be able to construct it myself? I have heard good things about both transmitters tho? I guess if I found something the Ramsey/EDM transmitters have that is leaps and bound better than either MBB or WHT I would begin to consider them but at this point I don't think I would be able to build these? So I guess I have some reservations about theses...

How easily are they assembled?

What is their range like?

How is the quality?

How much do they cost?

What makes them better than MBB or WHT?

If you are worried about assembling an FM transmitter, you can buy them fully assembled. I found a Ramsey FM25B assembled on Ebay for $105.00 shipped. However, a member here has a website where he sells them in kits and assembled. http://shop.christmasincruces.com/product.sc?productId=3&categoryId=2 I believe if you use the code "PCMEMBER" you get a 5% discount from a previous post I saw.

Ok, so I don't think the WHT is going to be the winner. It's still a possibility but now that I found I can get Ramsey transmitters pre-fabricated I'm torn between that MBB Eclipse-4000. So I guess to change the entire topic of my thread, MBB Eclipse-4000 or Ramsey FM25B?

Not to snub EDM, I am just unable to find any pre-fabricated models? Preferably the EDM-LCD-CS-EP

Thanks for the help so far everyone!

Note: The biggest reason I want to get a pre-fabriacted transmitter is because I have no experience with soldering and I would be very unsure of how to do it and completely trashing a $100 investment is not on my list of things to do! haha

Edited by H2Opolo15

I know the EDM unit i bought last year (EDM-TX-10EP - being replaced with EDM-LCD-CS-EP) was as a 'kit' the only soldering that was actually required was to solder the 2 power wires to the socket. So not a real DIY kit and at the very basic DIY soldering skill level. Not sure what amount of soldering is required with the other models but im sure it is only minimal, a quick email to the manufacturer should tell you whats involved or other purchasers could tell of their experiences here.

Read the spec sheets of the different units you are considering buying and im sure you will find that the EDM wins in that respect.

Here is the EDM web site link http://www.edmdesign.com/orders.html (currently they are not taking orders until the 23rd June due to upgrading their factory facilities)

On another note the company may be in South Africa but my unit was shipped from the US to Australia as they have a distributor located in the US.

So I guess to change the entire topic of my thread, MBB Eclipse-4000 or Ramsey FM25B?

Not to snub EDM, I am just unable to find any pre-fabricated models? Preferably the EDM-LCD-CS-EP

In my opinion, I would go with the Ramsey over the MBB, but the Ramsey 30b. The Ramsey units have an adjustment for power output; I don't believe the MBB does. For MBB, you have to buy an attenuator to correctly adjust your power output. Power output has been a heated topic in the past. FCC does have limitations as to how far you can transmit. While I do break the FCC laws myself, I do only because I am set back from the road a bit. I am transmitting 500 to 700 feet - that is, you can pick up my broadcast one house over in any direction. The Ramsey allows you to adust the power out for your needs. The Ramsey 30 gives you a nice LCD display to set you frequency, power, volume, etc. whereas the 25 uses dip switches. I have never changed mine since seting it up, but it is a nicer interface. And I bought mine completely assembled.

In my opinion, I would go with the Ramsey over the MBB, but the Ramsey 30b .... The Ramsey 30 gives you a nice LCD display to set you frequency, power, volume, etc. whereas the 25 uses dip switches. I have never changed mine since seting it up, but it is a nicer interface. And I bought mine completely assembled.

Where did you get it fully assembled? And for how much? Because if it isn't too much more I would be willing to shell out an extra few bucks for a much nicer interface that is user friendly...

Thanks for the input so far everyone! It has really helped!!

Where did you get it fully assembled? And for how much? Because if it isn't too much more I would be willing to shell out an extra few bucks for a much nicer interface that is user friendly...

Thanks for the input so far everyone! It has really helped!!

I paid somewhere around $160 for it and bought it from someone here on PC, I'm just not sure who. (Like Chad said) I know this guy has been selling them here for a while though, fully assembled, and I have never heard anything bad about him:

http://shop.christmasincruces.com

Does anyone know how much soldering is required for a Ramsey FM30B if I bought it in kit form?

If your are going to buy a 30B in kit form, you might want to consider the EDM-TX-LCD-EP unit for about the same price.

It only needs one component (Power Connector) to be soldered to the board and the insertion of the processor chip to complete the assembly.

Smaller, simpler unit to build, easier to operate, great range, and IMHO much better sound quality.

This month they are shut down for maintenance.

http://www.edmdesign.com/orders.html

Zach, if you want to buy a kit, send it to me and I will solder the pieces on it for you and send it back.

Thanks for the offer Zach! I'll consider it. But if I get the EDM and it only requires to solder the power chords in I might be able to get my dad to help me with it.

Soldering really isn't that difficult. Especially if you have to solder two leads onto it.

Watch a couple solder videos on youtube and you will be able to handle it.

If you can't get it done, let me know. It would take me longer to warm up the solder iron than to solder the connections! :D

Guest Lightzilla

The only thing I have against the WHT is the lack of channels........300ft is plenty of distance for me, and it worked very well for two seasons. Many folks use the MBB and are very happy with it.

This FM transmitter issue goes on and on and on.

Once you pick one you need to live with it for one season at least, unless you have dollar bills growing on trees and you can buy a few FM transmitters.

I plan to live with my WHT for one more season.

I do need a full range of stations even if I am a good hour from the city.