It all comes down to this... MBB or WHT ( Another FM Transmitter Question)

Which FM transmitter do I choose!?!?  

1. 1. Which FM transmitter do I choose!?!?

• Whole House Transmitter 2.0
    • Mobile Black Box Eclipse-4000

Ok, so I have been looking into EDM transmitters. I have a few questions...

1) LED vs LCD? What exactly is the difference? Just the different display boards?

2) What are the different kits? I understand that most of them just come with or without metal enclosures. But also, what is the difference in the amount of soldering?

3) Which one(s) would be in my best interest to research a little more/buy? My limit is $200.

Thanks for the help so far everyone. You have really helped! I want to make my display leaps and bounds better than last year! And last year you couldn't hear my music barely at all behind all the static because of the lack of quality of my transmitter...

Ok, so I have been looking into EDM transmitters. I have a few questions...

1) LED vs LCD? What exactly is the difference? Just the different display boards?

2) What are the different kits? I understand that most of them just come with or without metal enclosures. But also, what is the difference in the amount of soldering?

3) Which one(s) would be in my best interest to research a little more/buy? My limit is $200.

Thanks for the help so far everyone. You have really helped! I want to make my display leaps and bounds better than last year! And last year you couldn't hear my music barely at all behind all the static because of the lack of quality of my transmitter...

Answer 1: the below link will give you a comparison of the two offering from EDM, The LCD model is the better of the two with improved sound quality and stereo seperation but as expected at a price. On saying that i found the LED model to work very well for the price. Take a look here at the comparison

http://www.edmdesign.com/specs.html

Answer 2: As far as soldering the EDM kits, they are basic and are in kit form and the main reason for this is due to the local laws that require EDM to make all transmitting units to be sold only in kit form. So there is no soldering of any real componetents, just soldering of the power leads and placing the chip into its holder. So pretty basic stuff really

Answer 3: So if your budget is $200 then you should go for the EDM-TX-LCD-EP for $195 delivered unless you want to send data out as well to be recieved by compatible radios that will tell people what song is playing, but that will cost you $235 for the RDS enabled model EDM-LCD-RDS-EP

Take note that the EDM site is currently not selling any products until the 23rd June due to an upgrading of their factory facility

Hope that clears up those questions for you

In my opinion, I would go with the Ramsey over the MBB, but the Ramsey 30b. The Ramsey units have an adjustment for power output; I don't believe the MBB does. For MBB, you have to buy an attenuator to correctly adjust your power output. Power output has been a heated topic in the past. FCC does have limitations as to how far you can transmit. While I do break the FCC laws myself, I do only because I am set back from the road a bit. I am transmitting 500 to 700 feet - that is, you can pick up my broadcast one house over in any direction. The Ramsey allows you to adust the power out for your needs. The Ramsey 30 gives you a nice LCD display to set you frequency, power, volume, etc. whereas the 25 uses dip switches. I have never changed mine since seting it up, but it is a nicer interface. And I bought mine completely assembled.

People worry too much about the FCC regulations, the reality is that you dont have vans driving around checking to see if your breaking the law. You must use common sense with these transmitters and ensure you dont transmit over other channels, you dont transmit for miles around you and you dont use it for commercial use. And if in the rare case you do get a visit i doubt very much that you would incure a fine for transmitting Christmas songs that are synchronised to your lights. All that would happen is that you would be made to reduce the range, change the frequency and comply with the regulations or turn it off. So relax and enjoy and dont worry to much about if your complying with the FCC regulations as in reality it is too hard to measure anyway.

Answer 1: the below link will give you a comparison of the two offering from EDM, The LCD model is the better of the two with improved sound quality and stereo seperation but as expected at a price. On saying that i found the LED model to work very well for the price. Take a look here at the comparison

http://www.edmdesign.com/specs.html

I will be honest with you Eddy, I have no clue what any of that stuff means on that page. I looked at it and tried to make sense of it but it just looks like a bunch of mumbo jumbo to me! haha But I do understand the way you put it, "The LCD model is the better of the two with improved sound quality and stereo separation but as expected at a price." But then you bring up the fact that the LED model also works very well. Now altho I can pay up to $200, I am a college kid, so if I could spend less money it would definitely be a good thing! And I'm not sure RDS is necessary for my cause. Maybe later on when the tech becomes a little cheaper I'll look into it. So I guess my question is, is the LCD model worth the extra $30?

Other than that, you thoroughly answered my question. Thanks a lot!

People worry too much about the FCC regulations, the reality is that you dont have vans driving around checking to see if your breaking the law. You must use common sense with these transmitters and ensure you dont transmit over other channels, you dont transmit for miles around you and you dont use it for commercial use. And if in the rare case you do get a visit i doubt very much that you would incure a fine for transmitting Christmas songs that are synchronised to your lights. All that would happen is that you would be made to reduce the range, change the frequency and comply with the regulations or turn it off. So relax and enjoy and dont worry to much about if your complying with the FCC regulations as in reality it is too hard to measure anyway.
You're correct. I tune my down and try to stay within the spirit of the law. I don't transmit or miles and I'm not worried about a visit from the FCC or whoever. But the vans do exists and I have had a visit. I have a signal booster on my TV cable because of some long runs, just to make the picture a little better. The signal booster is adjustable, but I found the higher the power, the better the picture. So, I set it to maximum. One day I found a notice on my door indicating I was transmitting a "signal" from my house. Somehow, the cable in my house was acting as an antenna. I adjusted the power and they came around again and left another notice indicating everything was OK. There was no problems or threats, they just wanted me to correct the problem. So there are "black vans" or something like that driving around but as long as you are not blatently violating the law, you'll be fine. As for the MBB, someone here had one with out an attenuator and was broadcasting several miles. Something like that could be flagged...

You also might consider this transmitter from C Crane along with this modification. At $70.00 it is one of the cheaper options out there.

This one from C Crane is also FCC Certified for part 15. Now that said, last year I used an Eclipse V6000, and it worked fine. I had it set at its lowest setting for Power. I started last year with the 4000 but when I realized it was transmitting 3-5 miles out, I got the lower power V6000

Fasteddy, not trying to start an argument but you saying don't worry about the FCC when you're in Austrailia. The FCC can fine anyone of us 10,000 dollars or more if they so desire so yes we do need to worry about what we do here in the states.

You're correct. I tune my down and try to stay within the spirit of the law. I don't transmit or miles and I'm not worried about a visit from the FCC or whoever. But the vans do exists and I have had a visit. I have a signal booster on my TV cable because of some long runs, just to make the picture a little better. The signal booster is adjustable, but I found the higher the power, the better the picture. So, I set it to maximum. One day I found a notice on my door indicating I was transmitting a "signal" from my house. Somehow, the cable in my house was acting as an antenna. I adjusted the power and they came around again and left another notice indicating everything was OK. There was no problems or threats, they just wanted me to correct the problem. So there are "black vans" or something like that driving around but as long as you are not blatently violating the law, you'll be fine. As for the MBB, someone here had one with out an attenuator and was broadcasting several miles. Something like that could be flagged...

In your situation what you would find is that you were causing interference to other households that would have reported this and so that would be the reason you would have got a visit. Yes vans with antennas hanging off them exist but they will attend compliants and check for the source of the complaint. But on saying that your example reinforces the fact that they will not fine you just for an accidental breach.

Fasteddy, not trying to start an argument but you saying don't worry about the FCC when you're in Austrailia. The FCC can fine anyone of us 10,000 dollars or more if they so desire so yes we do need to worry about what we do here in the states.

We do have similar regulation here in Australia, but the intention of my post was to say that if you follow some basic rules then you should have nothing to worry about and if you were to breach these rules then at very most you would be told to reduce the signal to then comply with the regulation. The equipment used to check the transmitting signal strength is very expensive and so very hard to measure for the average blinky flashy enthusiest. What i dont want people to think is they can go and blast the airwaves with high wattage transmitters that clearly will not conform to the regulations.