New Neighbors moving in, uh oh!

We have had two sets of new neighbors move in withing the last 2 months. One family moved in about 2 months ago across the street. They heard about our lights from some friends of theirs who have been by the house. They are realy nice people and say they think the lights will be great. Let's hope they still think it is great come Nov./DEc.

This past week had had the house next to us sale. I haven't met the new family yet. My wife has and the neoghbors in the above paragraph have also. They say the family seems nice. I asked my wife and the neighbors if they warned them about the lights. Clay (my neighor) laughed and said no I forgot to mentio them. I am not sure how soon I inform them of what they are in for come this Chrismtas. They have 2 kids ages 9 and 5, so hopefully that will hep get the family excited. The other issue is the old neighbor allowed me to overflow decorations int ot heir yard. Not sure how to ask permission to place the yard sign and frosty scene, and possibly a kighted train. I think when I meet them I just bring it up in a laughing kind of way. My fear is they ay not be Chrsitian. My non Christian neighbors behind me have never said anything about the lights. Any thoughts from the community here? This is a lot of new neighbors for one year who are clueless about 10's of thouhsands of lights and 160some channels of animation.

I think the right thing to do is just befriend them as neighbors, and then just let it come up in conversation sometime. Don't make a big deal of it, just have it come up, e.g. "I was actually working on Christmas stuff today... say, by the way, has anyone told you what we do at Christmas time?" As long as the rest of the neighborhood accepts it, just act like it's a matter-of-fact thing that happens and they're the "new people" that will have to challenge the status quo if they really want. On the other hand, make sure you're available if they have any legitemate complaints (e.g. hours of operation). I wouldn't make a big deal out of traffic, etc.- if that's a real issue, one of your other neighbors would have probably already complained.

As for encroaching on the yard: When I was single and bought my old house, the neighbors across the street mentioned to me a couple of times that the previous owners had let them play volleyball in their yard during the block party. The first time, I was a bit thickheaded and just said "oh really, that's cool" or something. The second time I realized they were asking permission, and I granted it. For the display, I'd wait until November or so and do something similar, only perhaps a bit more direct: "hey, the Joneses let me stick a few blowmolds a bit into their yard -- would that be a problem?" Don't assume anything though, they might be against decorating, they might put up their own big display, etc...

I agree, become friendly neighbors first. Then when it is closer to time to setup, then you can ask. If you have become good neighbors first, then it will be less of an issue for them.

I have several new neighbors also. One set is right next door... I like you was nervious. I would make small talk with them when ever I did see then outside. One day I did ask them what they thought about Christmas lights. They stated they liked them, and they had even drove by the display.

Don't panic until you have a reason to.

I think the right thing to do is just befriend them as neighbors, and then just let it come up in conversation sometime. Don't make a big deal of it, just have it come up, e.g. "I was actually working on Christmas stuff today... say, by the way, has anyone told you what we do at Christmas time?" As long as the rest of the neighborhood accepts it, just act like it's a matter-of-fact thing that happens and they're the "new people" that will have to challenge the status quo if they really want. On the other hand, make sure you're available if they have any legitemate complaints (e.g. hours of operation). I wouldn't make a big deal out of traffic, etc.- if that's a real issue, one of your other neighbors would have probably already complained.

As for encroaching on the yard: When I was single and bought my old house, the neighbors across the street mentioned to me a couple of times that the previous owners had let them play volleyball in their yard during the block party. The first time, I was a bit thickheaded and just said "oh really, that's cool" or something. The second time I realized they were asking permission, and I granted it. For the display, I'd wait until November or so and do something similar, only perhaps a bit more direct: "hey, the Joneses let me stick a few blowmolds a bit into their yard -- would that be a problem?" Don't assume anything though, they might be against decorating, they might put up their own big display, etc...

LOL....Imagine in the Felix household "Man I hope the new neighbors don't have a problem with our Christmas lights"....

The "Jonse household "Honey how do you think our new neighborhood is going to take to our 10s of thousands of Halloween and Christmas lights we put up?

Joey,

I agree with the previous comments. In addition, when you do finally bring it up, or as a lead in, show them pictures/videos of your display. I know for example my wife is not capable of visualizing things like me trying to tell her my ideas for our display. Pictures/videos may be all you need to sell it. Show them your .... their lawn with your display in action.

It is hard, but if you are really worried, you need to talk to the neighbors. Getting to know them now, will make it a lot easier then waiting for October, November and then trying to kiss up to get what you want. Who knows, the neighbors might really be into the lights and would be happy to work with you. As soon as I decided to animate my lights, I spoke to all my neighbors. The guy across the street was really exited and said he would love to work with me in a display down the road when they had more money. With the world of Email and Text messages, it is easier to avoid then confront. Look in their recycle bin and see if there is any empty beer cans. If so, buy a six pack and stop by one day and say hey! or, just stop by.

I would agree with the above and would stress to establish a good relationship with them as quickly as possible. It's always harder to turn down a friend. Maybe have them over for a get small dinner party or BBQ or series of them. Stay away from a block party - you want to talk and get to know them.

All good ideas. I do need to meet them just haven;t caught them at home yet. They do seem friendly as they wave everytime the see us out. It would be cool if they put up a Big or decent size display.

I was wondering the same thing last night! Both houses across the street from me are for sale. Had a couple looking one over closely and started asking me questions about the house and neighborhood. Thought about answering, "Neighborhood is really quiet and dark......till Christmas....."

• 2 weeks later...

If you are worried your neighbors wont like it... I hope you don't hint or say to them they may not like it. That is giving them permission to agree with your negative critique of yourself. I would be totally positive and enthusiastic when the first discussion comes. Spirit of Christmas and all lollipops and candy canes and wows and such. This is your gift to the neighborhood so plant the thought that its a good deed for his family.

Its like this and this is the way i feel. You lived there longer then they have and you pay your own taxes take care of your own property etc...Then its your yard to do what ever you want to! :) If they dont like it and dont let you use some of there yard then thats fine too but you should never worry about new neighbors think of your hobby.

We bought in this neighborhood first 35 years ago and i always get evil looks about anything like im not good enough to be here and hear them chattering to the others(the perfects i call them you know ones) There new blood but swear they own the neighborhood. I just stare back at them laughing. Hey what can ya do? Enjoy it and dont worry. They even all over my property like they own it! I just bite my tounge and stay inside. Nosey i suppose...Next time i catch them maybe i should call the police? Have them arrested that would be funny! Trespassers ya know :) Theres one in every crowd.

Edited by FrostNsnow

I moved into a new neighborhood 3 months ago. I quickly befriended neighbors on both sides of me, and introduced myself to the 3 houses in front of me. The ones beside me are super excited to see my display after i told them about it, and they even offered to help set-up and even build this summer if i will ask them. Haven't gotten to know the ones across the street other than introducing myself and the occasional wave when we see each other. But i was told that they put up a few lights each year, so i'm optimistic that they won't mind my display. I don't have any plans to inform them at this point, unless we somehow become better friends between now and then. Everyone pretty much stays indoors, works out back, or are very busy in town. Not alot of socializing out front that would allow me the opportunity to get to know them more than i already have. I think they'll get the idea in early Nov when they see a 12' ferris wheel being assembled and a 20' flagpole with a ring at the bottom. Luckily, my other 2 neighbors will be helping me set it up and they all have been neighbors/friends for 15 years so the un-knowing neighbors will see the knowing neighbors helping me out. That should take the edge off, if there is any, and will show them that what i'm doing is approved by my side neighbors.

One of my side neighbors...an electrician!!!...has volunteered to help set up all my power needs. However, he doesn't understand why i don't just want a couple of outlets out front to go with the 1 that i have. I'm telling him that i will trench all the ditches to where i want my LOR boxes, and he keeps asking if i just want an outlet put in by the front door.

One of my side neighbors...an electrician!!!...has volunteered to help set up all my power needs. However, he doesn't understand why i don't just want a couple of outlets out front to go with the 1 that i have. I'm telling him that i will trench all the ditches to where i want my LOR boxes, and he keeps asking if i just want an outlet put in by the front door.

...what do you mean you're gonna need more that 1 outlet!??!

*rotfl*

I know how you feel. I am the new guy in my neighborhood. We bought just before Christmas last year. I put up a few lights but not very many. I am new to this whole thing and honestly did not have the time to get started.

But it was funny.

I have this one neighbor across the street. Whenever I would go outside and put up lights, they would set in their yard and watch me. The next day they would add a few lights to their own yard. I would put up a few more, they would watch and then they would too.

Boy are they in for surprise this year! LOL! I bought some 10 times as many lights at the clearance sales last year then they had on their entire house. And the LOR sale in in a few more days and I finally get my first 32 channels! Wahooooo!

In all fairness, they do have the best curb appeal of anyone on the block!

The neighbors on the left is going to be great about it. Very nice folks. But the ones on the right are not friendly at all. We shall see!

Edited by typoagain

Spoek with the neighbor yesterday. Myself and the two new neighbors were out talking and somehow hobbies and stuff came up. I could tell that the neighbor across the street that is new but knows about the display wanted me to come clean about the lights. So I finally did. I mentioned that I have a Christmas light "hobby." So I asked what he thought about Christmas, and he loves Christmas. Then he comments I hope that I can start lighting up the house in the coming years. My neighbor and I look at each other and bust laughing. I was glad to hear it, and then my neighbor says wait till you see his house (mine) at Christmas. I tell him all about it and then I whip ou my new smart phone and decide it is better to show him. So I pull up one of our youtube vids. He thought it was very cool and asked me what I entered in youtube so he could show his wife. He was really cool with everything and seemed excited about it. Next, ask for permission to bleed over into his yard. I think in November I will ask.

Another plus too, the neighbor across the street gave me permission to put my new snowflake arch over the road and in his yard. And he and his wife said I could put whatever I wanted in their yard.

Another plus too, the neighbor across the street gave me permission to put my new snowflake arch over the road and in his yard. And he and his wife said I could put whatever I wanted in their yard.

That rocks I was going to ask if you had got that worked out. Congrats!!!!!!

That rocks I was going to ask if you had got that worked out. Congrats!!!!!!

Yes Congrats Joey!! That is Awesome that you will be able to put the Arch over the street like it is intended to be used!! :)

I can't wait to see pics and videos of this years display :)

I was wondering the same thing last night! Both houses across the street from me are for sale. Had a couple looking one over closely and started asking me questions about the house and neighborhood. Thought about answering, "Neighborhood is really quiet and dark......till Christmas....."

HARHARHAR!! I've been doing Halloween reeeeeally big for a lotta years, but the last 3 years (Pirates Of The Caribbean) have been the biggest.. it's hard to miss a 24' pirate ship in the front yard, it was such a big display 2yrs ago, it went up in the backyard and it was a whole walk-thru.. ..point being, I let them know ahead of time, what I was planning, and asked it they had any trouble with the display going up. The neighbors on each side liked watching it being built, liked the pirate music playing while I was working on it. No one had any qualms, and even the LDS neighbors across the street, just smiled and nodded.. or could've been shaking their heads, I couldn't really tell ;) I did let everyone know what was planned well ahead of time (June), so there was no shock or hard feelings. That saying about begging forgiveness is easier than asking permission doesn't really work with neighbors..

I did the same for my Christmas display.. Tho I had ran a Mr. Christmas box for a couple years, inside the garage with the volume set so you pretty much had to be in the driveway to hear it, everyone loved the lights. 2009 was the first LOR year and the positive feedback I had received from the previous years gave me the ok to keep going, without the smiles from the whole neighborhood, it would've stayed small, or not at all. The family 4 doors up got a Mr. Christmas, so I would like to think I'm starting a trend :)

Meet the next people, talk with them as much as you can, but not really about the lights right away. You may jokingly ask if they've ever seen those "over-the-top-people" with their Christmas Lights.. That will be a good barometer of their interest or tolerance. If you have video (youtube or the like) from previous years, you might show them what you had done in the past, but only after you really converse with them. You might also be able to ask for a little "help" one day, wrapping a mini-tree or holding the pvc while you wrap an arch.. might give them an actual view of what you're doing, but really, go slowly..

Good luck!

============================================================================================

Well, naturally, I got this all typed out, it posted, before I read the rest of the way thru the thread... Glad you were able to "chat" about the "hobby" with them, and looks like you just might be able to make them accomplices to all this =) Good to hear! You might still try getting them to (innocently, of course) help you build something for the yard..

Edited by skygodtj

Well, naturally, I got this all typed out, it posted, before I read the rest of the way thru the thread... Glad you were able to "chat" about the "hobby" with them, and looks like you just might be able to make them accomplices to all this =) Good to hear! You might still try getting them to (innocently, of course) help you build something for the yard..

I liked reading your story as well about your neighbors!! Very interesting that we all deal/worry about the same things in keeping good neighbor relations!! Sounds like you do a AWESOME Halloween Display.

I run my snowblower up and down the block and blow a bunch of my neighbors sidewalks.I also mow one of thems yard all summer.One more thing i do is let them into my strawberry patch after i have picked all i want.This has helped to stop any complaints from my neighbors.I park my 28 foot pontoon(33 foot with the trailer) out on the road and they dont mind it at all.I call it brown nosing them :) :) :) But hey it works.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Joey, Glad the new neighbors are working out. We got new neighbors in the Cul-de-sac too. We lucked out. They heard about the lights and saw the videos before they bought (and still bought). Good people too. They moved in the week before the 4th and of course got invited to our big BBQ and loved it. Nothing like introducing the new neighbors to the neighborhood with a BBQ and giant fireworks show. One more house for sale in the cul-e-sac... hope it gets sold to a christian family too.

Larry