Are you keeping Christ alive in Christmas with new added features this year?

For the first time ever, I'll be displaying a Grand Venture blow mold Nativity with Mary/baby Jesus, Joseph, 3 kings, cow and donkey. I've been checking out ideas for making a stable/backdrop for the nativity scene. Not sure what I'll be doing just yet, but I'm excited to have this in my display!

Expanded the nativity to also include popular kid's cartoon figures also bowing at the manger. ( I have recently met kids that don't know what shepherds are!! ) The star is now outlined in lights, and for last several seconds of Linus' reading of the story, the outline fades so that only the middle is still lit---- in the shape of a cross.

Would love to see a video of that!

Guest Lightzilla

I'm adding 3 wise men because I want to use the song "We Three Kings" by Go Fish. So I"m adding 3 wise men, even though technically they weren't there at the birth......

True but you are doing it with good intentions. After all "Wise Men Still Seek Him", and folks who still come to Christ are wise indeed.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

My Nativity Scene is my 9 1/2' tall inflatable, and I train 3 spotlights on it. I have a lighted wireframe angel trumpeting on the side as she flaps her wings. This is central to the whole display and is lit brighter than anything else in the yard. You can see it in the litle profile photo.

We added a Manger Scene this year, It's a wire frame that has Jesus, Mary and Joseph outlined in pure white LEDs and an outline of the stable over them with LEDs using brown color caps over the lights to make it look like a stable

Wow! Thread brought back to life!

New for this year -- the Mega/Spiral/Hybrid tree now has a 7 foot cross "zip-tied" to the main pole. So now the tree can spin, spiral, etc like usual ...or fade into a cross. I do this at the end of Linus' solilquy for example. I also sectioned the cross similar to "Bellagio pole" would be. I am hoping I can get the effect of the cross jumping out of the ground, but due to very high winds this weekend I have not gone live yet to see if it has the effect I wanted.

last year my nativity was Mary, Joseph, Jesus silhouettes painted solid white. I then used red, blue, green, white floods on it for my show. this year i plan on adding shepherds, wisemen, sheep, and camels. same silhouette idea with more floods plugged into LOR. Of course time may hinder my expansion plans on this element.

Next year i will be adding my first Nativity Scene, along with floods to better serve the rest of my display. I was planning on building the pre-painted poster project that woodcraftplans has, but then i decided to build the 3D figures and paint them white. I was thinking of using white and red floods on the figures to change colors on the Nativity to correspond with the rest of my show. Do you see a conflict of interest in doing that? Should the Nativity be seperate from the rest of my show (a center-piece, but not part of the light display)? It looks as though at least 1 other person has more than 1 color to alternate with. Thoughts...

• 3 weeks later...

Last year my wife bought an inflatible of Charlie Brown and Linus with the little tree in their hands. This year in addition to adding a simple mega tree and a driveway arch, I built my display around the inflatible. I grabbed some of the "Charlie Brown Christmas" music of the kids "oohing" the "Hark the Herald" and let it run while the inflatible blows up. Using video editing software I ripped the sound track of Linus's speech from the DVD. The dialogue begins with Charlie Brown asking his quesiton and Linus answers. I know this much is pretty common, but here's my own creative touch .When LInus tells about the angel appearing to the shepherds, a lighted angel appears in a tree about 10 ft up. When he then says a "Multitude of the heavenly host" more angels begin to shimmer and instead of his words, I have sequenced a piece of the "Glory to God" from the Messiah and let it run. I have spelled out the words, "Glory to God"...."In the Highest" on 2 separate signs made up of rope lights. These turn on in their turn as the choir sings the words. When the song is over, the dialogue continues with Charlie recalling Linus's words (actually God's Words!) and my Holdman star twinkling as the "sign' like in the movie. Then the kids shout "Merry Christmas Charlie Brown" and sing "Hark" to a sequence. The sequencing is not very good but I just came in from talking to a family with 3 small children in the backseat who were watching my display. The youngest son said, "Look Daddy, Charlie Brown." A little girl said, "Look at the angels in the trees." I think they got at least some of it :-) It's my own attempt to put on a very small and simple Christmas light pageant in the middle of Mannheim and TSO. Please offer some feedback. It needs improving.

Sounds like all of you are having some great ideas. Last year I was fortunate enough to get some new wireframes and one was "JESUS IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON." I had to have it up as quick as I could and it is back again this year. I also got a 3D lighted angel wrieframe that is near the Nativity. The nativity itself is lifesize cutouts from the Winfield patterns. I keep saying, I'm going to get a big star to put overhead but have not done it yet. Sometimes, I get the ideas but don't follow through.

put the nativity display back out this year. Took last year off due to just not being in the mood (having your wife leave you after 11 years doesn't put one in the Christmas spirit). New location this year is at my girlfriend's house which is next door to a nursing home-the residents that are allowed off facility grounds love it. No other changes from 2009. Hoping to build a new star for 2012. I have he lights and LOR controller. Just need to build the frame.

Have always wanted to put out my HAPPY BIRTHDAY inflatable cake for Jesus but this is the first Christmas we have been home for many years so FINALLY got it added!!! I really like it! Also have a HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESUS flag for my front door!! Think it makes it more real for the little ones...

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU AT PLANET CHRISTMAS!!!

post-1802-0-02742500-1324834992.jpg

For us, we've decided to go 100% Christian display - and traffic is actually up this year compared to past. Two main aspects really, 1) we blink/flash everything, but the nativity stays on and bright all night, and 2) only Christian songs (either Christian message or at least Christian artist singing traditional song). This year, we have This is Christmas (Kutless), Christmas is Here (TobyMac), and Let There Be Light (Point of Grace). Videos on our website if anyone wants to take a peak: www.waconiachristmas.com - nativity is in the center of the display but actually a little hard to see from where we recorded the videos this year. I think the coolest thing is that instead of trying to amaze people with the lights, we toned it down a bit this year so the songs and the message were the focus. Feels so much better!