Mega tree vs. spiral tree

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The tree is actually 18 1/2 feet tall. The diameter of the pvc ring is just 8 feet. I may change up the pvc rings to homemade anchors that I can twist into the ground. I had problems keeping the ring attached to the ground. it kept wanting to lift up. I thought about the super strings too Ed. The past week I have be changing a lot to the tree....I bagged the idea of taking it down as a net...I want to redo it anyway...I wasn't really quite happy with the way it looked...my OCD coming out in me..The trick to this tree is to make it slender...I wrapped the tree with one string of lights from top and came around just about 1 1/2 revolutions. Here is a bad video but this is what it looks like...

Maybe you would be happier if you tipped the tree upright? :confused::P;):rolleyes::cool:

There are 16 1/16" cables running from the header down. You bring up a point there Frank about the wires that would fall in between the "guide" cables...I may still go with the pvc just sitting on the ground so the extra wires could be zip tied to that for the continuing flow of the strands. still thing though of the anchors for the guides..That's the way Weber did his tree....

As for the tree...no still standing! As for the video...that's what happens to you after 10 hours of building it followed by too may margaritas! not sure if it was me that was side ways or the tree?hmmmm

Actually I was thinking of the same thing Andy. Once you said you were thinking about staking the guide cables, I thought about using the regular base just for tying the lights, and then you could just zip tie the base to the guide stakes. That should make it pretty stable.

To keep going on with this tree's specific construction, the tree was just over 17' tall measured from the hook head to the base ring, with a base ring between 6 and 7 feet in diameter. A length of two strings per channel per color (14 channels total / 3 colors) were connected end to end, which would go from the hook head to the base ring. The 8 equal length cables that would form the cone and the light strings are attached to the hook head. The cables are attached to the base ring and since two light strings are "longer" than the tree is tall, the light strings are staked to the ground outside of the base ring. The hook head is raised and cables are pulled tight. At this point, the tree would look like the attached picture. This specific tree wrapped each color independently. A string (two strings connected end to end) is "unstaked" and wrapped approximately 1 1/2 times around before it is attached to the base ring. The excess string (and there was not much) was laid on the ground toward the pole. The next 13 strings of the same color are done exactly the same way. The following two colors are wrapped. The strings are then zip tied to the cables.

The only change to it's construction I would change (aside from the channel count) is instead of wrapping each color string independently, I would wrap super strings. Other than that, it doesn't seem much more complex to build than a standard megatree. The other thing that should be noted is it is very difficult to get to the center of the tree (e.g. the pole) when the tree is complete. In a standard mega tree, you can slide the strings along the base ring somewhat - it is a little more difficult with a spiral wrap, but not impossible. You just would not zip tie the light strings to the cables where you "hole" will be.

Sorry for the brief description, but I wasn't paying attention...

When will you have the video of the construction details posted? :P

How much extra setup time does it take to put one of these up. Now be honest.

I actually built one this weekend and was just outside horsing around with some sequences. I took a lot of pictures and in the next couple of days I'm going to start a thread and describe the construction in detail.

I actually built one this weekend and was just outside horsing around with some sequences. I took a lot of pictures and in the next couple of days I'm

going to start a thread and describe the construction in detail.

What!!! Where's the Video? :P

Now i am using an existing Mega tree set up, but in all including setting up the pole, header, stringing guide wires, attaching to ground, attaching lights to header, raising, and individualliy wrapping each strand of lights, 88 in total it took me 12 hours...from start to finish...

Now i am using an existing Mega tree set up, but in all including setting up the pole, header, stringing guide wires, attaching to ground, attaching lights to header, raising, and individualliy wrapping each strand of lights, 88 in total it took me 12 hours...from start to finish...

12 hours???? Did that include a nap? Did you do it blind folded?

Ok Cozzi it has been a couple of days so where is this video of yours and quick question....if you are using LOR how are you "designing" it in the view box with your sequences? Are you drawing it like a mega tree with the understanding that it will spiral or are you "drawing" it true to form

Ok Cozzi it has been a couple of days so where is this video of yours and quick question....if you are using LOR how are you "designing" it in the view box with your sequences? Are you drawing it like a mega tree with the understanding that it will spiral or are you "drawing" it true to form

Gina, Unfortunatly, Frank has once again bailed on an idea.

I never got around to a video. I do have a lot of pictures of the construction though. As far as drawing it in the animation window, I have no idea, and neither does Dan Baldwin.

I am changing my mega tree to a spiral tree this year. I want to have 2 colors (red and green) and have them spiraling opposite directions. I have the "shell" made, just need to start adding the lights. I'm going to try to figure out how to keep is assembled so I don't have to keep setting it up and tearing it down every year. I don't feel you'll lose to much effect compared to a mega tree. I guess it just depends on how many channels you are using.

What is the tree 'shell' constructed of?

On the tree pictured above, there is 16 - 3/32" cable, stretched from the hook head to the bottom ring, to form the cone shape. Then the light strings were wrapped around the outside , one at a time and then were zip tied to the cables.

Could someone provide some pics of the hardware needed to produce the ends of the guid wires?

On the tree pictured above, there is 16 - 3/32" cable, stretched from the hook head to the bottom ring, to form the cone shape.

I am trying to find a 3/32" cable to use for my first mega tree. I am just not sure which one to buy or what the cable look like. Is there a way you can provide a picture of the wire or link to an online store where I can buy this cable wire? Hopefully not too expensive.

thanks!

You might want to use something like this at each end to connect to your hookhead and ground stake (sorry, it seems Home Depot doesn't let me hotlink pictures):

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Fasteners-Chain-Rope/h_d1/N-5yc1vZar80Z5z2aa/R-100112173/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

If you want to skip the guide for the loop (e.g. thimble), you can just make a loop out of wire using this alone:

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Fasteners-Chain-Rope/h_d1/N-5yc1vZar80Z5z2aa/R-100299148/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

If you have a crimper, you can use this:

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Fasteners-Chain-Rope/h_d1/N-5yc1vZar80Z5z2aa/R-100279394/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Here's a better picture:

http://birdcontroldepot.com/prodimages/bcdcr001alg_white%20bg.jpg

And after you get 8 of your wires built, all of the same length, connect them to 8 of these in the ground:

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Fasteners-Chain-Rope/h_d1/N-5yc1vZar80Z5z2aa/R-202079629/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Edited by B_Regal78
  • 2 weeks later...

You might want to use something like this at each end to connect to your hookhead and ground stake (sorry, it seems Home Depot doesn't let me hotlink pictures):

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Fasteners-Chain-Rope/h_d1/N-5yc1vZar80Z5z2aa/R-100112173/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

If you want to skip the guide for the loop (e.g. thimble), you can just make a loop out of wire using this alone:

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Fasteners-Chain-Rope/h_d1/N-5yc1vZar80Z5z2aa/R-100299148/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

If you have a crimper, you can use this:

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Fasteners-Chain-Rope/h_d1/N-5yc1vZar80Z5z2aa/R-100279394/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Here's a better picture:

http://birdcontroldepot.com/prodimages/bcdcr001alg_white%20bg.jpg

And after you get 8 of your wires built, all of the same length, connect them to 8 of these in the ground:

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Fasteners-Chain-Rope/h_d1/N-5yc1vZar80Z5z2aa/R-202079629/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I have used this company many times and have been very happy with their products. Not to mention the fact that HD charges about five times as much for similar products. http://store.wastewatersupplies.com/index.html

I'm still working on the design of my two 10' spiral trees; 16 - 1/16" vinyl coated cables going from my old bunfoot to eyelets screwed into my 3/4" grey PVC. I use thimbles on the top end and turnbuckles at the bottom to keep cables taut. Each tree will have eight channels of white, four of red and four of green. I have my animation screen complete and it is shown below. You can see the animation here . . .

My display consists of a 20' regular Megatree in the center with a 10' spiral tree on either side. Then four Holdman twigs, six 40" Maxitrees, and 16 minitrees. My spiral sequencing is mostly a copy of Megatree sequencing so I hope the final look is pleasing. I'd like to hear some comments about the animation screen, and I'm glued to this thread for more construction details.

Richard

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35674[/ATTACH]

post-6977-129571229889_thumb.jpg