Mega tree vs. spiral tree

I know that quite a few have talked about adding a spiral/Webber tree to thier display this year. I am considering it also, but I'm unsure. I saw a live spiral tree at the NJ mini and it was very cool. I'm actually going to build one in my backyard this weekend and leave it up through the 4th so I can work on some sequences for it. The thing that I'm afraid of is that with the spiral tree you'll be pretty limited as far as different movements as opposed to the normal mega tree.

I'm curious to see what you all think.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am planning on setting up my mega trees as usual with the clear, red and green and spiraling the blue lights on the outside of the tree this year. I haven't worked on sequencing yet to see what effects will work yet. Hopefully I will be able to achieve the best of both types of trees.

I am changing my mega tree to a spiral tree this year. I want to have 2 colors (red and green) and have them spiraling opposite directions. I have the "shell" made, just need to start adding the lights. I'm going to try to figure out how to keep is assembled so I don't have to keep setting it up and tearing it down every year. I don't feel you'll lose to much effect compared to a mega tree. I guess it just depends on how many channels you are using.

As long as you use GFCIs, you can have as many 'movements' as you like (and at your age, that's a blessing. I think.)

:P :p :P

:D

Hey I have plenty of movement. I have to get up three times a night to take a leak. And what's a GFCI, is that the plug with the little buttons that you sometimes have to stick a screw in to make them work?

I'm actually going to build one in my backyard this weekend and leave it up through the 4th so I can work on some sequences for it.

I'm curious to see what you all think.

Frank, this type of tree only works if wear your official shorts while putting up the spiral/webber!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=35090&d=1276548535

Can anybody do a brief Weber tree how to? specifically what supports the spiraling light strings? Thanks.

On the tree pictured above, there is 16 - 3/32" cable, stretched from the hook head to the bottom ring, to form the cone shape. Then the light strings were wrapped around the outside , one at a time and then were zip tied to the cables.

To keep going on with this tree's specific construction, the tree was just over 17' tall measured from the hook head to the base ring, with a base ring between 6 and 7 feet in diameter. A length of two strings per channel per color (14 channels total / 3 colors) were connected end to end, which would go from the hook head to the base ring. The 8 equal length cables that would form the cone and the light strings are attached to the hook head. The cables are attached to the base ring and since two light strings are "longer" than the tree is tall, the light strings are staked to the ground outside of the base ring. The hook head is raised and cables are pulled tight. At this point, the tree would look like the attached picture. This specific tree wrapped each color independently. A string (two strings connected end to end) is "unstaked" and wrapped approximately 1 1/2 times around before it is attached to the base ring. The excess string (and there was not much) was laid on the ground toward the pole. The next 13 strings of the same color are done exactly the same way. The following two colors are wrapped. The strings are then zip tied to the cables.

The only change to it's construction I would change (aside from the channel count) is instead of wrapping each color string independently, I would wrap super strings. Other than that, it doesn't seem much more complex to build than a standard megatree. The other thing that should be noted is it is very difficult to get to the center of the tree (e.g. the pole) when the tree is complete. In a standard mega tree, you can slide the strings along the base ring somewhat - it is a little more difficult with a spiral wrap, but not impossible. You just would not zip tie the light strings to the cables where you "hole" will be.

Sorry for the brief description, but I wasn't paying attention...

Edited by B_Regal78

Dam Tim you did take some copious notes there at the mini!!!I am impressed or wasn't that time at 2 in the morning on Sunday that you were drilling me on how it was constructed???Can't remember....too many lemonades........:D

The tree is actually 18 1/2 feet tall. The diameter of the pvc ring is just 8 feet. I may change up the pvc rings to homemade anchors that I can twist into the ground. I had problems keeping the ring attached to the ground. it kept wanting to lift up. I thought about the super strings too Ed. The past week I have be changing a lot to the tree....I bagged the idea of taking it down as a net...I want to redo it anyway...I wasn't really quite happy with the way it looked...my OCD coming out in me..The trick to this tree is to make it slender...I wrapped the tree with one string of lights from top and came around just about 1 1/2 revolutions. Here is a bad video but this is what it looks like...

The tree is actually 18 1/2 feet tall. The diameter of the pvc ring is just 8 feet. I may change up the pvc rings to homemade anchors that I can twist into the ground. I had problems keeping the ring attached to the ground. it kept wanting to lift up. I thought about the super strings too Ed. The past week I have be changing a lot to the tree....I bagged the idea of taking it down as a net...I want to redo it anyway...I wasn't really quite happy with the way it looked...my OCD coming out in me..The trick to this tree is to make it slender...I wrapped the tree with one string of lights from top and came around just about 1 1/2 revolutions. Here is a bad video but this is what it looks like...

Okay Andy, this is interesting. Do you mean just staking the cables into the ground and having no base at all? I think that without a base there would be a problem "cleaning up" the slack from the light strings. Also, did you use 8 cables ot 16? A couple of the jerks seem to remember it differently.

Oh by the way we had 70 mph winds yesterday and I got no movement! Still stands and hardly any slack in the cables or movement in the strands of lights.

I think you're full of it. I just looked at the video and it clearly shows that the tree fell over.

There are 16 1/16" cables running from the header down. You bring up a point there Frank about the wires that would fall in between the "guide" cables...I may still go with the pvc just sitting on the ground so the extra wires could be zip tied to that for the continuing flow of the strands. still thing though of the anchors for the guides..That's the way Weber did his tree....

As for the tree...no still standing! As for the video...that's what happens to you after 10 hours of building it followed by too may margaritas! not sure if it was me that was side ways or the tree?hmmmm