Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
drohl

Ground-Mounting Flood Lights

We've been looking at different ways to position flood lights on the ground at our house. We've used stake-mounted fixtures before and had two of them blow on us... also, they're about $10 apiece, so getting 12 or 15 of them isn't really that appealing with their track record... does anybody know of a cheaper alternative? I'm thinking of using something like this and mounting them in threes some sort of box/enclosure (so I could have 4 or 5 units each with a red, green, and white bulb). I want to then place these units throughout the yard for an even wash across the house that I can animate with music. Maybe just have three SPT-2 wires running to each box.

Another idea I've been toying around with is creating some sort of PVC structure using horizontal pipes to contain the wiring with T's interspersed leading to capped vertical pipes. Then the fixtures at the link above can be mounted on the cap pieces.

Also, any ideas to keep water from getting into the base of these fixtures? I think that may have been why our other ones blew. Is duct tape worth it with the high temperature that flood bulbs can reach? I'm not really looking into LEDs yet for this because (1) they're expensive and (2) many don't dim.

Derrick, The older models came with a rubber washer - near worthless. However the newer models have a rubber collar that seems to fit much better & prevents most of the previous water issues. I've had much better luck with the collar type of fixtures.

I have used this type of fixture before and now use flood lights 8 foot off the ground. You can use the 3/4 emt tubing and put the water tight box on the top. You can then use the fixtures you have to point down or where ever you want the light.

Anthony

I have used this type of fixture before and now use flood lights 8 foot off the ground. You can use the 3/4 emt tubing and put the water tight box on the top. You can then use the fixtures you have to point down or where ever you want the light.

Anthony

I like that idea, except the house is two stories and the family members in charge say everything needs to stay on the ground so the yard doesn't look full of hardware... i.e., I've got to have them face-up...

You can try sealing them with silicone or maybe put a clear bag over the top and zip tying it off. It wouldn't look pretty in the daytime but would keep moisture off I would think. Minions Web always recomments siliconing floodlights for his led floods. Especially pointing upward.

I like that idea, except the house is two stories and the family members in charge say everything needs to stay on the ground so the yard doesn't look full of hardware... i.e., I've got to have them face-up...

Ok how about this...you can use some plastic junction boxes or rubbermaid containers and set the floods in the boxes. Make a few supporting rods for it and you will be able to keep it on the ground and pointed where you want them.

How about selling them on the idea if the lights are on poles you could keep some of the direct light from shining in the windows. I paint my fixtures and the pole black and you dont really notice them during the day.

Anthony

You can try sealing them with silicone or maybe put a clear bag over the top and zip tying it off. It wouldn't look pretty in the daytime but would keep moisture off I would think. Minions Web always recomments siliconing floodlights for his led floods. Especially pointing upward.

If I do silicone, can that be cut away with a knife or something for when the bulbs go out and need to be replaced (then I'd just seal the next bulb in again)? Also, does silicone deal with heat alright?

Ok how about this...you can use some plastic junction boxes or rubbermaid containers and set the floods in the boxes.

I'm thinking about using a junction box like this to mount these lamp holders. That way, I can mount a red, a white, and a green flood on different sides. The fourth hole could be for the power wires to go in. I assume I can strip the ends of SPT-2 wires and use the twists to connect them to the leads on the lamp holders. I think (and hope) I can mount the three bulbs on it and still have them all pointing in the exact same direction.

How about selling them on the idea if the lights are on poles you could keep some of the direct light from shining in the windows. I paint my fixtures and the pole black and you dont really notice them during the day.

They have to stay low (i.e., "hidden in the garden" level), so if I build something like what I just mentioned I could probably have it a foot or two off the ground. If I seal the bulbs in, then I wouldn't need an enclosure built around them, so I'll probably mount the junction box itself on a stake (painted forest green?) and have it peek up out from the bushes.

I tried the ground fixtures last year and the rubber seals do ****... I burned up at least half of my LED spot lights ( not cheap ) and the worse thing is that I lost two of my channels on one of my controllers! I'm needing to do something like this myself, I was thinking of makeing a water tight box with plexiglass and three colors in one box. Maybe this would help.. The LED's didnt put out much heat if any at all.. I'm going to try that this year... Oh,, I did try the silicone on my ground mounted flood light fixtures and it did not work. Good luck.. I look forward to seeing if anyone comes up with something I could use.. I love this forum..

Here is a practice video I mad for youtube. You can see the red spots are still on.. Thats one channel that messed up, and the blue channel messed up later that week. But the LED's do look awesome, I just have to make a better houseing for them.. ( By the way, the red spots dont project as much as the green and blue's. I had to put them next to the house so you could even see them)

My link:

Sorry for the bad video quality, I just didnt get to work on it

I used floods last year for the first time. What I used were standard metal outdoor flood, just like the one over my garage door. I added 24" long x 1/2" EMT tubing for the stake.

What I did different was that before installing the bulb, I coated the socket and the bulb base with anti-oxident electrical grease.