looking for 120vac to 12vdc wall wart converters

Guest Scot Meyers

Scot,

I go to pawn shops and thrift stores (thrift stores are cheaper most of the time). You would be surprised at how many electronics use a wall-wart of various sizes. Sometimes you can get the whole thing for a buck or two. And sometimes they just sell the transformers seperately. I've done this many of times when I need something quick and cheap.

Guest Scot Meyers

Scot,

I go to pawn shops and thrift stores (thrift stores are cheaper most of the time). You would be surprised at how many electronics use a wall-wart of various sizes. Sometimes you can get the whole thing for a buck or two. And sometimes they just sell the transformers seperately. I've done this many of times when I need something quick and cheap.

Thanks Tom.

I went to my local thrift store and hit a JACKPOT of 12vdc 200ma wall wart converters. I picked up 10 for 15.00 I have been able to test my gemmy santa and the CMB16D DC board tonight.

Using PC power supplys have been an easy way to get both 12 and 5vdc with at least 10A loads.. Since most of the newer supplies (ATX) have to power hard drives, video cards, optical drives and cooling fans, along with USB power taps, they are rated at 20A and higher.. THe older AT supplys wont normally go that high, but you could get 10A easy out of them..

Here's a link to PC supply tech: http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=31105&seqNum=4 has a lot of good info for pinouts and loading..

Here's a link to ScaryTerry's power supply page: http://www.scary-terry.com/atxps/atxps.htm.

I use several for my halloween props, they power all my talking skeletons (14)

Thanks Tom.

I went to my local thrift store and hit a JACKPOT of 12vdc 200ma wall wart converters. I picked up 10 for 15.00 I have been able to test my gemmy santa and the CMB16D DC board tonight.

Good deal Scot and glad to hear.

I've been doing the thrift store thing for several years because I have other items I purchase these for. Can't beat the convenience and price really.