Stretching your new Lights

Does anyone stretch out your lights and if so how? I have around 150 strings of lights that I bought at the end of last year that I plan on using, however when I open the box at the beginning of the season, the lights are all coiled up and a pain to get straightened out (especially in the cold). I was thinking about making a rack for the garage, hang it from the ceiling and let the lights hang down (big garage (20' high x 40' deep by 40' wide, so lots of room). Any one got any thoughts on doing this or am I causing myself more grief than it's worth?

--Joe

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/34397-Taming-of-icicle-lights?highlight=heat+stretching+lights

Check out this "Taming of Icicle Lights" thread. Although it's about icicle lights I don't see why this method couldn't be used to "stretch" regular stringers.

Currently icicles are hanging in my attic hopefully warming up enough and hanging down enough that will make them straight down this year! We'll see how it went come November!

I'll stretch them out when i am using them for the first time. It gets the un-necessary twist out as well as check for loose bulbs. I then plug them for the light test. A lot of times I'll combine the stretch and bulb test at the same time. That's if power is available - like that may be a problem for any of us! :)

I stretch my new lights as I take them out of the box. The holes in my garage door tracks are perfect to stick a couple of the plugs through. Then a gentle tug, followed by letting them go (which untwists them a bit), and 80% of the twist and bunch are gone.

I use the same technique when I need 4 colors in a bundle: All 4 though the same hole, stretch and use. I know they are not tangled (since no end passed through another or a loop), and they are stuck together enough to use as 1 unit. This works well for things like Mega Tree bundles.

I open my after Christmas sale lights this time of year and wind them on spools. This straightens them out pretty good and doesn't do any damage to the lights at all.

I use

to wind them! I actually make a game out of it with my sons. I tell them I'll give them $5 if they can keep up with the winder!! They are getting much faster at unpackaging lights!;)

I open mine up and hang them on the hooks for my mega tree and let gravity take care of the rest. Strings are 33 feet long so I fold them in half to hang. Kept mine up in the backyard for a month in the summer and the heat and gravity worked great.