My new EDM-TX-LCD-EP

Well, it's finished. I soldered together the power coupling and I turned it on and it works amazingly! I couldn't be happier with the sound quality of this transmitter. I would recommend it to everyone and anyone willing to spend $195 on a quality transmitter. I plan on e-mailing EDM and letting them know how impressed I am! But I do have one quarrel...

The range isn't exactly what I want from it. It's only about one house in either direction before it begins to fade. Any way to fix this? I see a few knobs I could turn but I'm not quite sure what they will do. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Is it the knobs or maybe a new antenna would do the trick?

Thanks!

The unit you have should go a lot further than that, i would think that you may only be transmitting at 10mw which may be the default, when in fact you can set that unit up to 100mw. Also i believe you would be using the standard test antenna, building a Jpole or Dipole antenna will greatly increase your range.

I get nearly 1km out of my older LED type EDM transmitter with 10mw using a J-Pole antenna on top of the house . It will just be a matter of having a bit of a play with it to get the best out of your transmission range. Depending on where you put the unit (inside the house or inside the garage) will also make a big difference.

You should have been given an instruction sheet to explain what to do and what to adjust, if not you should be able to get this from the EDM web site. It always takes a little initial playing around to get the best out of any transmitter.

Thanks Eddy! I can always count on you for a well explained and thought out answer! Haha I'll definitely look into that tomorrow.

For now, what is a J-Pole antenna?

Also, how would I go about increasing my output to say... 30-50mw?

Edited by H2Opolo15

Well i tried to upload the file but its just a bit too large (544kb) as it appears there is a small limit to what you can upload at PC

I would recommend becoming a member anyway as there are some great things there, this is where i usually hang out. Don't be worried that its called Auschrismaslighting, it a place for all to join. The site specializes in low voltage DC, RGB lighting, pixel control lighting and high channels counts plus great DIY stuff and is where the future of Christmas lighting is heading. You can also find me there in the chat room most times, and if not there is usually someone who is very talented that can help. Well worth joining and opening your eyes up to the new direction in Christmas lighting.

Edited by fasteddy

I also suggest you join the EDM discussion group. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/edmdesign/

Lots of good info there, and lots of willing people to answer questions. People with your type of question have found resolution to their problem there.

To be honest though, you should be getting better transmission than what you are getting. I put mine in my garage, and hung the test antenna vertically (important), and transmitted clearly for over 1/2 mile (further with static), and this was just with 10mW. Probably could shorten the antenna to match your frequency wavelength if needed too, but I just used the antenna as-is, and got these results. I literally just duct taped the end of the antenna to the ceiling, and it just hung down to where my transmitter was. (I have the RDS model, but the actual FM transmitter portions are identical).

Edited by Surfing4Dough

Now how exactly would I increase the power setting?

The unit you have has adjustable power output, I'm not sure how you do this and i couldn't find any instructions at the EDM web site but you should have been provided an instruction sheet with the unit. If not then its a matter of sending a simple email ( [email protected] ) requesting the instruction sheet and I'm sure EDM will send it as they are usually very responsive. Or hopefully someone else who has your model will be able to add to the post on how to do this as I don't have this model.

Like Fasteddy says - it's spelled out in the manual that you downloaded when you purchased the device. There is a slide switch for the 2 power ranges, and an adjustable pot that increases/decreases the output within those ranges. These are located on the component side of the board.

Greg