Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Ok, I need some advice with my airblowns. I have put them up for the past Three years with my Christmas Display, I may not do so this year. The problem is that each year 8 out of 10 times they fail to blow up and stand on their own correctly. Is there a way to fix this besides being outside when they are being inflated? Please let me know your advice or this may be my last year for the airblowns.

Thanks

You need to install something to tie it too. For instance, a curved piece of pvc piping driven into the ground will act as a frame. Tie the inflatable to it and it will always maintain a good shape when it inflates. I use this for my top heavy designs to keep them from tipping over.

The downside is that your skin will look like a deformed lizard when it is deflated.

The best way to display them is leave them on 24/7...it's hard to have them come up on there on with out being there to make adjustments.

I tie mine down everywhere that there is a place to tie it down and tie the motor down so there is now way it can move. It always inflates perfectly.

Yes, you can put a tall stake behind it, but i dont trust them coming on by themselves, especially the animated ones, i'm just outside every night to make sure they come on.

One of the many reasons I've been phasing out inflatables from my display. BuyInflatables claimed that their new line was to have more powerful blowers to prevent this, but alas, we will never know.

Gemmy considers their products expendable - if you get a year or two out of them they feel they've done they're job, even if you paid $200 for a fancy one.

Stake them down good you should not have any problem with them. Sometimes I will have to stake them two or three times to get the right way for the inflatable comes up by itself. Good luck.

The responses have been correct. Sometimes inflatables are tricky. May have to play with stake locations... may need to add an extra teather or two. In windy areas it may be helpful to add a support pole or something. But under normal conditions, after getting them staked down properly, inflatables should inflate and deflate without an issue.

I have seen where things get tangled with the teathers, such as a waving hand or something like that. But other then that... play with the placement of your teathers.. inflate, deflate and inflate again until you get them to work. then they should be fine for the balance of the season. :)

Tim

One of the many reasons I've been phasing out inflatables from my display. BuyInflatables claimed that their new line was to have more powerful blowers to prevent this, but alas, we will never know.

Gemmy considers their products expendable - if you get a year or two out of them they feel they've done they're job, even if you paid $200 for a fancy one.

That is also correct Tim, stronger blowers would reduce the amount of problems with getting them to inflate fully. If the blower is powerful enough, and the inflatable was designed properly with a sturdy base, it should not matter how crumbled up the inflatable is or how it lays after being deflated for the night... it should inflate upright every time. We posted a video of this one time with a Christmas Polar Bear vs the Patriotic Eagle which had 3 times the air volume requirements. The eagle inflated a lot faster and stood upright on its own. The Polor Bear after it was finally inflated needed to be supported in order to stand completely upright.

In support of my theory, There was a post made by another PC member that had an Air Character Eagle mounted on their leisure boat... traveling at 25-30 mph and the Eagle stood up tall. Dont know of any other consumer holiday inflatable that could do that.

Gemmy and other manufacturers should consider putting stronger motors in their inflatables which will really help people with their inflatable displays.

Tim

Thanks Tim!

I think that has been the problem with mine. I think that they are just too top heavy. The ones that have a large base usually do not give me any trouble. Now what about the snow globe type, is there anything at all to keep them from fogging up? Jason

Jason,

Here's a little helpful information I wrote back in 2005. Hope it helps:

Snow Globe Help ~

Condensation / Moisture

First lets deal with fogging and or condensation. Condensation is defined as a film of water droplets… tiny drops of water that form on a cold surface such as a window, metal, plastic or other surface when warmer air comes into contact with it. So how or why does this create condensation in the snow globe? Well unlike the other Airblowns that have been produced in previous years… the snow globes have a thin clear plastic window and Styrofoam type of snow pellets inside. These along with cold air… and a warmer ground are all we need to create condensation.

After you install your Snow Globe on your lawn… and you turn it off for the night, the inflatable lays on the ground, where the temperature is warmer then the air temperature. The pellets are a perfect source for insulation, and this insulating the warmer temperatures that arise from the ground and are in the inflatable. Already condensation is starting. Once you inflate the snow globe the warmer pellets circulate thus creating slightly warmer air inside the snow globe causing the condensation to get onto the plastic windows of the globe thus forming the fog like condition. Shortly after, The pellets also build condensation as the air gets cooler then the pellet itself, thus forming condensation around it. With over 1-1/2 million pellets banging into each other etc. They pick up and exchange moister from other pellets. Which makes the pellets that collect the moisture even wetter and the ones that lost the moisture re-creates more with more condensation.

Ultimately the pellets start to stick together. Just as if you were to cut open a Styrofoam filled teddy bear or bean bag over a pool of water or puddle… what happens to the pellets? They clump together. Once the pellets get to a certain level of moisture and clump together, they will stop circulating in the snow globe. And this is enough to make some of you panic thinking the item is defective.

Well I hate to say this but condensation is not a defect. It’s a natural occurrence. Just like getting condensation on your car after a very cold night and then the morning sun warms up the air a bit. One customer I told this to on the phone said… True, but condensation does not inhibit the care from functioning properly. But she’s wrong. You can not get into a car that has windows fogged with condensation and drive the care safely. So you turn on your windshield wipers… so you are taking a corrective action to solve the problem so the car can operate as intended. The same has to be done with the snow globes. We have to correct the issue at hand, abd then take preventative steps to prevent the problem.

First things first!

You have to get the snow globe to dry out so it’s back to its original state. Once this happens the snow pellets will fall again. How do you dry them out? Here are a couple of suggestions:

1. You can leave the snow globe in its location and constantly keep it inflated and running. It can take one or more days to clear up and dry out as long as the air around it is dry.

2. Depending on what part of the country you are in… if you have warm days still in the 40’s or better… a good constant running of the snow globe in the sun can dry it out within a day or so. It all depends on the temperature and moisture volume in the air and in the snow globe. So if its sunny, I would suggest moving the inflatable on a concrete or hard surface… and let the inflatable run 24 hours a day until it dries and the snow starts to circulate. Then another hour or two after that, just to be sure that all the pellets have time to circulate a few times to make sure they are dry.

3. In bad weather you may want to inflate the snow globe indoors, in a spare room… basement or garage. Leave the item plugged in and constantly running until the item is dried out. If doing this in a garage, you want to be sure the garage is heated in colder climates. This will make the drying process go faster.

Once the item is back to its dry original state. You will be all excited and you will love your inflatable again and remember why you fell in love with it to begin with.

Re-Install or Display

Simply re-install your inflatable in the desired location. I would suggest that you place it away from your home or from dense trees and bush. Again these elements can help cause condensation.

Hint: only install your snow globe when you have the time to actually install and inflate it. Don’t just bring it to your lawn… go and get other inflatables or decorations and then get back to the snow globe later. You may have condensation problems all over again. So when you bring it back to the location of its dispay, immediately inflate it, and tether it down.

Preventative Measures

Okay, so we know that moisture inside the inflatable causes the pellets not to circulate and fall like snow, so we have to try to keep the inflatable as dry as possible. How do we do this when displaying outdoors? The simple answer is this:

Keep The Snow Globe Running All The Time. – That’s right… 24 hours a day… 7 days a week. This will practically solve the condensation problem… because the inflatable will not be resting on the ground allowing the pellets to collect and distribute heat. This will also keep air being forced into the inflatable, which is the same temperature air outside… so there’s no difference in temperature to create condensation.

Now you may be wondering is it safe to run inflatables all the time, even though the instructions state that you can only run an inflatable for a certain number of hours? YES IT IS SAFE. Just like a car manual states do not drive your car for more then 4 hours at a time. If I did that it would take me a week to drive to Tenn. For PLUS events. LOL

It is safe to run them constantly. Lots of people do. When you drive around your neighborhood you seen them displayed at all hours. Some people simply don’t shut them off… because not only are Gemmy Airblown Inflatables Spectacular at night… during they day the characters are alive with vibrant colors.

Its perfectly okay for the item to remain inflated during a light rain or light snow fall. But if you are forecasted to get heavy rains, strong winds or heavy snow, I would suggest that you deflate the item and take it indoors to protect your investment. And once the storm passes, simply bring them back out again and put them back on display. This will prevent excess water from getting into the globe during heavy rains. It will prevent possible damage due to strong winds and possible damage to the motor in deep and heavy snow where the air intakes are blocked.

You paid good money for your Gemmy Inflatable Snow Globe. It may be one of the more expensive pieces in your decorations display. So protect your investment especially in extreme weather.

Cracking or The Plastic Globe Seams Coming Apart.

Noted in the instructions included with your inflatable, it states something like:

Do not Inflate During Freezing Temperatures.

This does not mean that this product is meant for indoor use only or for southern or warmer climates. What it means is to not actually inflate during freezing temperatures. When the inflatable is turned off and laying on the ground, the plastic gets wrinkled as the snow globe collapses on itself right? The plastic globe is thin plastic. What happens to plastic that is subject to stress in cold temperatures? It can crack or breaks. For those of you in the colder climates experience this from time to time.

If the plastic is folded and frozen, when you try to bend it and stretch it out into the globe shape it can crack and seams can crack or come apart.

How do you prevent this… Keep the item inflated at all times. If the plastic is not moving, its not under stress, therefore will not crack.

Dim Snow Globe Lighting

The snow globe’s holiday scene is illuminated from the inside with a couple of C-7 Bulbs. These bulbs do what they were intended to do and that’s light up the scene. You can see snow or the hint of snow falling around the scene but its hard to see it when driving by or from across the street.

The best way to solve this problem is by going to your local home depot, and pick up a spotlight stake kit. I think they are around $10 - $20. It’s basically a weatherproof light socket that you can place in front of the globe with a spotlight and it will illuminate the globe perfectly. You will not only to be able to tell it’s a snow globe, but that there’s also snow falling inside. Trust me when I say it does wonders!

If you can't find a spotlight stake kit… I have them and will sell them to you for $15. each which will include shipping anywhere in the upper USA. All you will need to do is buy an outdoor spotlight bulb… either 50 or 75 watt. And your in business. You can use color bulbs too, but I would suggest using white.

Static Tips & Trick...

This tip came from a fellow member, Thanks Matt!

The use of Static Guard helps in changing the attitude of those little snow pellts that just want to stick together as if they were part of a gang and such. LOL Matt also states that after using it in his globe... He gets more snowfall. Now thats great!

BTW, there is another tip I can share with you. Something new we were including in the snow globes we designed and tested last last year and early this year.

Illumination...

As mentioned in my previous post, Gemmy created snow globes with the inside scene illuminated with C7's Which does not light up the snow itself. So passer-byers really cant see it. We tested different options for lighting things up. A string of Xmas lights inside the globe around the top, A string of LEDs around the top, Some strategically placed C7's I was not happy with any of them.

Here's why:

String of Lights, LEDs or some C7 as you know with inflatables... where ever there is a light... there is a bright spot in the inflatable. that becomes distracting especially on the Carousels that did try using this features. If any of you have some of the snowglobes with lights around the tops you know what I mean.

What I did was take a Weatherproof Flexible LED Strip also known as a Weatherproof LED Flexible Ribbon... and I had it sewn into a right and left side vertical seam on the globe. So from the front of the globe... you would you would not see it nor would you see the annoying bright spots of the lights. And looking at the globe... the seen was very well let... not too bright to kill the scene's internal light... buy enough so you can tell it was snowing outside.

These Waterproof LED Strips are available on many sites online... and can be purchased in sizes ranging from 1 foot to about 5 yards. The strips we were going to use was two pieces of 1 yard strips using crystal white LEDs... Which are true white or about 5500K. getting them included into the snow globe design would have cost an addition $4 - $5... which is not much at all considering we were able to save money buy utilizing only one motor.

Give it a try... you can get a really bright strip... a foot long... and place it at the top of the inflatable globe and it should work really well to light up the globe.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Thanks Tim!

I think that has been the problem with mine. I think that they are just too top heavy. The ones that have a large base usually do not give me any trouble.

Exactly. Without enough pressure to fill up that void of air with pressure... the item will be weak and fail at the most narrow portion of the inflatable which is usually the feet or near the base on many inflatables. Some of the older characters holding a candy cane etc... the arm would not stand up right... or not enough pressure to inflate the candy cane to 100% taught. This is caused by lack of power in the motor not moving enough air into the air cavity of the inflatable. If memory serves me correct... someone did some surgery on their inflatable Grinch with max. They cut out the motor... then created a new black base, which did not show as it was under the grinche's feet. They took another dead inflatable and cut off a arm or something to make a tube that connected to one of the Auir Character's motors... and they said the grinch stood up perfectly straight and max fully inflated and never looked so good.

So the amount of pressure is for sure the issue. We are all taught to compensate we have to finagle with the teathers... so that what we do. :)

Tim