Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
XmasBoy

Light Shortages 2010?

I'm sure most of us experienced the light shortages in 2009 and the challenges it created for our displays. Do you guys think stores will raise inventory for 2010 or will we have the same problem?

Usually if a shortage one year there is an overage the next. Been a few years of shortages though possibly due to economy. I will know shortly as Walmart will start getting stuff in before ya know it.

As far as our nation's economic status, I think we've improved a little since last year. There's still lots of unemployed people (and many underemployed) and businesses that aren't doing great financially. I think we might see some more than last year, but not loads. I wouldn't expect tons of after Christmas stock. Maybe these stores are speculating that we'll do much better, but we really won't know until December.

I'm no retail expert...

IMHO, I think we'll see more stock in 2010, but not as much as we saw in 2008. Last year was super strange - even with a poor economy, most stores were out of stock on stuff the first week of December -- long before many even START decorating. Getting stuck with stock is not as bad as running out of stock. I expect stores split the difference between 2008 and 2009, erroring a little bit on the high side (ie, if they ordered 10 in 2008, and 3 in 2009, in 2010 they'll order 6-7).

I'm no retail expert...

IMHO, I think we'll see more stock in 2010, but not as much as we saw in 2008. Last year was super strange - even with a poor economy, most stores were out of stock on stuff the first week of December -- long before many even START decorating. Getting stuck with stock is not as bad as running out of stock. I expect stores split the difference between 2008 and 2009, erroring a little bit on the high side (ie, if they ordered 10 in 2008, and 3 in 2009, in 2010 they'll order 6-7).

I hear there will be a huge GFCI shortage this year.

I've heard the same thing!

Not due to me. I have enough for my expansion this year :P

It's about time the rest of you started using them. :D

The only retailer I have seen with any Christmas items out yet is Hobby Lobby. In Springfield, MO the two stores here have already put out Christmas items on a large percentage of their shelving space. There are probably four isles dedicated to Halloween/Thanksgiving and about 12 isles already stocked with Christmas items with lots more stocked on high shelves in baskets to be later put on display. They have 100 count mini incandescants in clear, red and multi on green wire and 100 count clear on white wire @ $3.50 a box. (They also have 100 count clear boxed as "Summer Lights" for about a dollar less per box. Exact same thing...just different price. I guess they don't think their customers can count to potato like I can.:P) They also have GE 25 count multi C-9 LEDs and GE 50 count multi and clear C5 LEDs. The 25 count C-9s were $12.99 a box (I believe). They also had icicle lights, net lights and tree wrap lights out. Quantities were what I would call moderate when compared to the other decorations they had out already. I did not see extra stock on the high shelves like they had done with the other Christmas decorations, but that doesn't mean anything cuz they keep kicking me out when I "accidentally" wander into the stock room to check inventory.

GFCI???? Is that some sort of RI thing???

On 12/19/2007 president bush had congress to ban all incandescent light(s) for a new energy law, starting on 1/1/2012

Pretty sure this was for incandescents in your home that are used year round and not for "Temporary Lighting" Which is what we deal with :)

On 12/19/2007 president bush had congress to ban all incandescent light(s) for a new energy law, starting on 1/1/2012

Please make sure you have complete facts on this.

Starting in 2012, 100w are to be phased out. This ends with 40w in 2014. Christmas lights are EXPLICITLY EXCLUDED

Src: Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_incandescent_light_bulbs#United_States

Federal legislation

Many of these state efforts became moot when the federal government enacted the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 in December 2007, requiring all general-purpose light bulbs that produce 310–2600 lumens of light [27] be 30% more energy efficient (similar to current halogen lamps) than current incandescent bulbs by 2012 to 2014. The efficiency standards will start with 100-watt bulbs in January 2012 and end with 40-watt bulbs in January 2014.

Light bulbs outside of this range are exempt from the restrictions (historically, less than 40 Watts or more than 150 Watts). Also exempt are several classes of specialty lights, including appliance lamps, "rough service" bulbs, 3-way, colored lamps, and plant lights.

[ed: bold mine]

By 2020, a second tier of restrictions would become effective; which requires all general-purpose bulbs to produce at least 45 lumens per watt (similar to current CFLs). Exempt from the Act are reflector "flood", 3-way, candelabra, colored, and other specialty bulbs.[28]

EDIT:

Wow, I knew I recognized that crazy ranting:

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/30467-Bacon-Explosion-not-for-the-weak-of-heart?p=330192#post330192

Edited by oldcqr

Please make sure you have complete facts on this.

Starting in 2012, 100w are to be phased out. This ends with 40w in 2014. Christmas lights are EXPLICITLY EXCLUDED

Src: Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_incandescent_light_bulbs#United_States

Federal legislation

Many of these state efforts became moot when the federal government enacted the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 in December 2007, requiring all general-purpose light bulbs that produce 310–2600 lumens of light [27] be 30% more energy efficient (similar to current halogen lamps) than current incandescent bulbs by 2012 to 2014. The efficiency standards will start with 100-watt bulbs in January 2012 and end with 40-watt bulbs in January 2014.

Light bulbs outside of this range are exempt from the restrictions (historically, less than 40 Watts or more than 150 Watts). Also exempt are several classes of specialty lights, including appliance lamps, "rough service" bulbs, 3-way, colored lamps, and plant lights.

[ed: bold mine]

By 2020, a second tier of restrictions would become effective; which requires all general-purpose bulbs to produce at least 45 lumens per watt (similar to current CFLs). Exempt from the Act are reflector "flood", 3-way, candelabra, colored, and other specialty bulbs.[28]

EDIT:

Wow, I knew I recognized that crazy ranting:

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/30467-Bacon-Explosion-not-for-the-weak-of-heart?p=330192#post330192

I KNOW!! That was a good way to Scare Everyone ;) Geeeez! Thanks for using your Google properly :)