Need some motivation

I keep doubting what I want to do this year. I have a group that I want to do fundraising for and I'm excited about it. I want to expand some still for the year and I've even done some of the construction for the additions that I want to do. I just can't get up the motovation to start the major prep work that is required or even start with the sequencing. Just today I'm debating about just keep it the same and downsize slightly. I really want to add a few new controllers and expand certain areas of the display but it is getting late.

Bob I feel most of us have had some form of reservation about our displays. I wonder if a lot of this comes from increasing size of our display each year and sometimes it seems to overwhem us. I felt overwhemed in Jan looking at what I had ahead for this season. My biggest concern was the fact that I had to reprogram 20+ songs for my front house display. I analysised my problem and determined I did not want to do this programming because my show computer is located in my garage and I have done all my past programming in my garage which is not a pleasant place to work. I therefore took a different approach and it worked out well for me. I decided to program on laptop sitting on my lanai with TV and a comfortable enviornment. I was able to do 24 songs with 113 channels in less then a month as I could do almost a song per night. I then transferred from laptop to my front garage show computer. It sure helped out as it eliminated the biggest concern I had for this years display. It gave me a good feeling that I was ahead of the curve as this programming was done by early March. Hopefully you can change something to get your mind back on track. Good luck and hang in there.

I'm also lacking in motivation. I've managed to order tons of parts but alas I haven't even tried to put the dongle together yet... Rangebob, you're in Orlando and flaloop in Oviedo like me. Maybe we should all get together and brainstorm sometime. Coffee and ideas? Building projects at my house? Just a thought. I always feel invigorated about a good brain storming and with the parts for 4 new controllers arriving soon I need to get in gear. WE did get all the Halloween stuff out of the attic but have not done anything with that either. Shoot me a pm if either of you or anyone else in Central Florida wants to get together. It could be fun!

Guest Lightzilla

I keep doubting what I want to do this year................... I just can't get up the motovation to start the major prep work that is required or even start with the sequencing.

Move up here and pay the prices we pay for power, lights, dollar difference, shipping and what not. Plug all your carsl in during -46.2c weather in December right after you had 30,000 lights on (you may have more), drive that frozen car where it feels like it has square wheels in -46.2c (that -51Fhar). After a heavy snow you cannot see any lawn decorations and so you need to shovel the front yard.

Set up your display in snow and cold in November and see how you react.........I say "this better be worth it" as my hands freeze and become num...........and hurt like the dickens when they thaw out.

When you speak to someone out side the words freeze and fall to the ground and then you need to picked them up and bring them in the house to thaw in order to hear what was said.

Now after a few years of this head back home and you will be motivated again. Lol.

I know what you mean I felt like that at times. This year I am keeping the same setup but with a few added features. My yard is well balance and I have equal lawn decorations on each side, my arches are very light weight and easy to repair. My mini trees will be set up in such away that even the frozen ground wont stop me from removing them before March.

I only regret not having a job and this makes me not want to set up, but I will just the same.

Edited by Lightzilla

Ways to overcome burnout or lack of motivation (but you will have to be motivated to implement the following ideas):

1. Look at other displays to get into the mood.

2. Think about doing a very small Halloween display (16 channels or less). Working on it will kick start you and give you some momentum for Christmas.

3. Schedule a group build day. There are lots of people within 50 miles of you. Have them come over to your place for a cook out. Have them bring their favorite projects with them and all work on projects together.

4. Create a daily schedule and plan for your display. Pick target dates for key accomplishments. Do not work more than 20 minutes a day on this plan until you get out of your slump.

5. Scale back your display - If you are burned out and feel compelled to do a display, recycle from last year. People will not care. Most will not notice. All will appreciate the work.

6. Ask for help. I have had more people volunteer to help me this past year than any time in the past. All I have to do is pick up the phone. If I do not do so, it is my own fault.

7. If you really do need a year off, then take it.

hope this helps.

Heck, I'm still working on what additional I elements I want this year and Bill's done sequenceing??? Now I feel overwhelmed.... :)

Dan I maybe had some other motivation to get my programming done early. I had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder late April. I knew this would slow me down for a while and it did. In fact I am still not 100% back to normal but getting closer every day. My goal for this year was not to add a lot of new but make the mounting easier on what I had. Yes I changed things around but worked on making set up easier. Example is using trunk wraps which are 2' X 6' which I am wrapping my palms with R,G & B. I mount all 3 colors together and use bungy cords (permanently mounted) to mount to tree trunk. I can now do tree in less then 5 min where it took close to hour to hand wrap strings as I did in the past. Guess I am getting lazy as I get older and trying to find ways to make it quicker and easier. This also helps my motivation as I like the challenge of a better way of mounting something. Hang in there Dano and I know you will get your programming done and I know you will have a super display.

Edited by bill vanderslice

Bill, You may have hit on something here. That project of yours with the tree wrapping --- nice when a plan comes together. And this is what I was getting at prior. Although I haven't lacked for motivation as of late, when an idea for a prop comes to mind, I'll tinker around in the shop after dinner and before you know it, I'm knee deep into the project and looking for time to work on it.

Success and sometime failure breeds intrest and tends to make things fun. Let's face it, if you don't have fun with what you're doing, (non work related of course) don't do it.

BTW, I had knee surgery in April. I had planned on the down time to sequence -- didn't happen. But every night while the Mrs. is watching TV, I have my headphones on. Better than watching The Jersey Housewives! :)

I had planned on the down time to sequence -- didn't happen. But every night while the Mrs. is watching TV, I have my headphones on.
If you would have taken your headphones off, maybe the Mrs. would'nt have had to watch TV...Duh!

Hitting a roadblock or lack of motivation I think hits everyone that does decorating at one point or another. I have found that I need to basically set myself in the mood. I like to watch clips of other displays, holiday movies, or even make a cd of the songs for a show and listen to it a bit. If these don't work then sometime a break all together is in order. It's better to take a break for a while than to take a break permanently.

Don't try to force yourself to do the sequencing. That can lead to headache and even having to redo what you did or already redid. That just adds to your frustration and lack of motivation. Working on something that can be within your display (mini tree, mega tree, cutout, wireframe) can help get you motivated. Even a simple task of doing a layout of your display can start to get ideas flowing and the motivation back.

This time of year is hard for many as it is HOT, HUMID, DRY, and we think of summer, swimming, shorts, suntanning, and everything to do with heat and the middle of the summer. NOT Christmas. Maybe you can set up a space in your home or apartment that can be just "Christmas". Have a room that is cooler than the others with a string or 2 of lights on in it. Sort of a Christmas Command Center. If that helps you then make it happen.

I have had many things happen this year that of course are not planned and took away from my time to sequence. I have even found some times it hard to motivate me to do the sequencing. But I start to think about the shows I have done, the smiles I have brought through sequencing for others, and the shows I'm working on. Somehow... the magic of all of that motivates me to start working and keep working until I see a finished song or show in front of me. Remember: You can work for hours but it's that 15 minutes that everyone will remember and that 15 minutes are what we look forward to in the end!

Hey Bob! I'm not motivated either. I'm not going to worry about it. I'm sure when in cools down I will get going. I'll get done what I get done. Keep your head up and have a fun school year! I've been concentrating on getting ready for school. Later my friend!

Agreed I am not really that motivated as well on the display. About the most I have done is sit down and try to figure out what I need to get for this years display still. I was blessed with quite a few things from a friend so the display will be getting bigger but to be honest not real sure what direction I will go with it. I figure once the middle of September of the first of October gets here then I will start to get my plans together. Basically I will be working with what I have on hand and thats about it.

• 2 months later...

Hey Bob! I'm not motivated either. I'm not going to worry about it. I'm sure when in cools down I will get going. I'll get done what I get done. Keep your head up and have a fun school year! I've been concentrating on getting ready for school. Later my friend!

We have a major contributing neighbor taking the year off so they can go home for the holiday here, will still have the display up, going to tinker with some new ideas but by and large there is going to be some scale back at my display as well. We had a number of palm trees actually freeze to death last year so the palm trees we will decorate will be fewer. Palm trees such as Mount Everest Fishtail and Cuban royal palms are telephone poles now and even becoming difficult to reach with a tree lift so we are deciding to discontinue decorating these trees as the Christmas lights on them help the palm trees to freeze harder if the weather gets excessively cold

... we are deciding to discontinue decorating these trees as the Christmas lights on them help the palm trees to freeze harder if the weather gets excessively cold
Well see, THAT'S the reason I'm sticking with incandscent's. To keep the palm tree's warm. I have no frozen palm tree's.:P

Well I got a little motivation from my kiddos. I told them because things has been pretty rough this year that we would not be doing a display. Looking at their eyes just about killed me. My twins looked up at me and told me that they knew is had been tough but that anything that I did they would love. So the display may be smaller and not as much animated this year as last but we are going to still have a good Christmas. Now if it would just cool down a bit so I don't die of a heat stroke or get eaten up by all these darn skeeters at night. I have not put anything out yet but hope to be able to push through and have everything ready for Thanksgiving night.