Best LED's Out there

Cody_Lawson

Ok so let me first start off with letting you all know that I WILL be doing another Christmas Light Display this year! I wasnt going to due to the stress but have found out that i gain more stress from people asking me "Why arent you doing a display this year?" So here i am lol, anyway i am switching the whole display to LED's this year starting from scratch and wanted to know what the best LED Product is out there (website maybe?)

Thanks,

Cody

Cody, everyone has their pref but IMHO CDI is the one. Even though you missed their sale, their products are commercial and stand the test of weather/elements not to forget outstanding costumer service. I'm sure there are a couple others that will chime in on what they think is best.

http://www.creativedisplays.com/SiteResources/Data/Templates/templatea.asp?docid=514&DocName=Home

Edit: you said the best, not the cheapest right?

I would stick with CDI www.creativedisplays.com he has the best prices a good selection and best customer service you could ask for. Plus about if not all of his stuff now is compatible with dimmable controllers. Many LEDs are not dimmable so beware from where you buy. But yes the last person was right if you are going to do an entire display you may want to reconsider waiting till next year I dont know how many lights you are looking at buying but it can get costly quick when you could wait and catch some of the bigger sales that CDI has and save yourself 10-20%

Not all LEDs are created equally. Those I bought at Sam's Club are not sealed and those dang lead light wires rust faster than my Jeep if they are outside for long. There is also a noticeable brightness difference between the lights I bought at local stores and those pre-season online sales.

I have added about 5,000 LEDs this year during sales or else it gets a little cost prohibitive.

http://www.holiday-light-express.com were very nice sealed LEDs.

http://www.creativedisplays.com great lights - super bright and dim very nicely.

Like another said, I would stick with your lights this year and start swapping during sales.

Guest Lightzilla

you miss the big summer sale .... so i would stick to the lights you have ... as i was at Costco today and their lights are out but there is no sale there ... 1 box of 50 for approx $9

cheer

If you are Canadian this is the best price in Canada and remember they are full wave............but Cody is in the USA and therefore Canada Costco has no effect on him. What Canada Costco did was cut back from 70 count F/W LEDs at $8.90 per box to 50 count F/W LEDs at $8.90CND per box.

If you pay $105.00 USD for 1 case of 12 stings of 50 count M6 F/W multi LEDS that works out to $8.75USD a box............so we are better off buying here at regular price. It would work out cheaper & when you add shipping into that $8.75USD well the price goes up per string, and add the dollar difference in there.

If you pay $120.00 for a case of 12 blue m6 50 count LEDs.......that is $10.00USD per string, we pay the same price in Canadian $$$.

Funny thing is no Canadian I asked (a few) has ever answered my question on how much they pay per string when you add the dollar difference and the shipping cost into the string.

The main advantage of buying from the USA (depending where) is colour (way more colours).........plus you can get full wave at the same cost as we pay for 1/2 waves here.......(most stores here sale 1/2wave).

Heck the UK pay $40.00 USD a box for 100 count.

Edited by Lightzilla

Not to sound like a broken record, but I think that Creative Displays has the best LED's available for the money. I have been using many of their strings for 3 years have had almost no failures, and Nebraska winters can be kind of brutal. I also would agree that waiting until his pre-sale will save you quite a bit of money. And Paul is close, he is in Kansas City so you can save some on shipping. If you ask nicely he would probably even let you go pick them up!

Let me "chime' in and say any lights made by Neo-Neon are the highest quality LEDs at the lowest price. They are dimmable and I have never had a single problem with them in the last three cold wet New York winters that I have used them. Here is a link to their website http://www.neo-neon.com/product_cat.php?classid=120&page=2 and my preference is the pinecone and berry lights. Hope this helps, and best of luck with your display, glad you decided to do it!

Neo Neon is the brand you will find at Tru Valu (and stores of that nature). I use these as the green on my mega tree. The quality is a bit better than Walmart brand, but I have found that about 2 out of 70 of the cones popped off during the winter (inferior glue). I didn't have the same problems with bulbs I got from pre-sale vendors on here.

I'm a fan of the LED lights made by Holiday Creations, and whichever vendor is selling them. Since my switchover began several years ago, I have only lost two strings (actually half strings) out of approximately 700 strings...

That what I have been buying, and about the same 2 strings. Walmarts aren't bad, I just hate those globes that come off.

Thanks for all the ideas! At least now i have an idea of what to buy. The display this yer isnt going to be as big as years past, Infact im starting all over and working my way back up the ladder, getting bigger and bigger every year. Going fom 250,000 lights down to only just a couple thousdand :( ya it hurts but at least im switching to LED's!!!!

Thanks!

Wow! 2 out of 70 cones popped off?! LMAO!!!

Was it funny?

To be clear, each string is 70 lights, so on the 36 strings on my mega tree, I lost about 70 cones (not a total of 2!). Compared to losing 0 out of 5,000 on red and blue, it does add up. And I only found about 50 to glue back on. And this in the first year I had them out. This year, I will undoubtedly lose a couple hundred, the year after, I'll lose enough I will have to scrap them (or more likely pull the remaining cones off and use them somewhere else).

To be fair to Neo Neon, I am probably a bit harder on lights than others - it gets minus 30 and the wind blows regularly to 50mph. Neo is okay, especially if you get a good price, just saying they are of lower quality than you get from the online vendors here (and the sale price I got on my Neo's was not cheaper than the pre season sales). I expect 3 years out of Neo and 7+ years out of my others...

I thought it was hilarious! I've obviously had a completely different experience, maybe because I bought mine directly from the company. I've used mine in temperatures from 10 degrees to 70 degrees in the same winter! With rain,snow, wind and ice I've had zero problems with them in three years of heavy use. I don't know, but zero problems on 50,000 lights, to me makes for an awesome product. Add that to never having to return anything and the fact that they come with a warranty made it a simple decision for me. Oh wait I did have one problem! I accidentally cut the tip of one off with my electric hedge trimmers! LOL I'm not one to ever recommend something unless I truly believe it is a quality product. I have nothing vested in any advice I might give here, so I'm not going to sweat it. Sorry you had a problem with them and I will now graciously allow you the last word on this subject as I don't find it necessary to sweat the small stuff in life, its just not worth it. Hope all your decorating goes smoothly and that you have a Merry Christmas. Peace be with you.

+1 on the CDIs. I have 36 strands of Red, Green, Blue & Pure white 100 ct C6s for sale in the PC For Sale forum. These are new in box from the CDI 2010 presale. Plans changed as my wife is expecting our first child so blinky blinky here gets put on hold for a few years. Still going to help my brother setup my parents 150k light 700 channel setup this year though, so I'll still get my fix. If anyone is interested in the lights let me know. Selling at my cost from the presale so if you need lights you can save some money. Thanks

• 3 months later...

So now my question to all of you is: Whats the quality of the Menards Christmas Lights? Or any other vendor store wise not online. We are going after Christmas to pick up as many LED's as possible for the best possible price. Also whats the cheapest you have seen LED's on sale after the Christmas season....

Thanks,

Cody

My megatree tonight is running LEDs from the CDI group buy in 2006. Here in rainy GUlfport, MS. (though not so rainy this year yet)

About 150 strings of C6-70s and had three strings fail in 4 years.

NOW the ones bought in 07 and 08 not as good. But I haven't bought more since the nightmare of 07/08 pre-orders. (those lights have failed at an alarming rate)