Chris,

I'm sure it'll look good. I haven't done that configuration but I haven't seen an arch that didn't look good.

One thing to think about, if you increase the amount of channels per arch to 6 you would be able to create a smoother flow of lights chasing on the arch. If you're limited to # of channels available, that would reduce the # of arches you use. That is a decision you'll have to make. Most decorators use minimum of 5, up to 9 channels per arch. The more channels the smoother the flow of lights during a chase.

I see nothing wrong with only 3 channels per arch, it'll give you a little different look. They could look very good for sequences with a heavy beat. Songs that are slow and require a lot of ramps to flow with the music, well with only 3 channels that is going to be tough to pull off.

Like most decisions, it depends on what look you want YOUR display be.

Good luck.

I have the same configuration on my arches. I ran a test with them and they looked pretty good but as stated woul dlook smoother with more available channels. I just lack the channels available to change at this time. Maybe next year.

I agree, adding just a few more channels for the 6 segments would make it a lot smoother.. you can plug matching segments from the arches into the same channel so the arches look mirrored.. segment 1 for arches 1-8, then seg 2 for arches 1-8, seg 3 for arches 1-8... etc.. makes them all leap at the same time.. it can save you channels for many arches, but still would look good.

TJ

Guest Lightzilla

I was wondering opinions on my arch situation. I have 8 arches with six strands of lights on each arch. I am planning on using 3 channels per arch so 2 strands per channel. Has anyone else done that config. and how did it look?

Thanks

chris

Do you really need 8 arches, couldn't you go with 4 arches for this year and add 5 channels per arch, or if you can spare 1 more channel go with 5 arches 5 channels per arch.? Or two 12 channel arches.

Just a thought.

I'm with the folks that think you'd really like more channels per arch. Maybe you could use six channels on one arch and reuse those same channels on a second arch.

Assuming your eight arches are all in a row you could tie arch1 and arch5 together, and tie arch2 and arch6 together, and so on.

I'm with the folks that think you'd really like more channels per arch. Maybe you could use six channels on one arch and reuse those same channels on a second arch.

Assuming your eight arches are all in a row you could tie arch1 and arch5 together, and tie arch2 and arch6 together, and so on.

I agree. Last year I ran 8 arches and mirrored them, it worked perfectly. 1-5, 2-6, 3-7, 4-8

Thanks Glenn (and sorry mwhite!)

I did use 2 controllers for all the arches, but in looking at this particular song at least, I could have mirrored 1-3-4-6, and 2-5 and only used 16 channels! Mirroring is great in that respect. On the other side of the coin however... my father-in-law asked why I never leaped them from one side of the yard to the other and back, and seemed genuinely disappointed in me for not doing it! So this year, I am removing arches 2 and 5 and going to run each of the remaining four as stand alones. Go figure.

I'm not really ditching arches 2 and 5 - they will be replaced by CCRs. And if that lottery ticket I bought earlier works out, the remaining arches will be replaced next year...

For full disclosure, each arch is about 16' of 3/4" PVC (2-8' chunks that come apart in the middle for storage). 8 segments per arch. Each segment is a single 100cnt mini string. I get 22 inches out of a string. Most people put at least double that, but I think this is fine. I ran both controllers off the same breaker, and it comes very close to maxing it out all on (so says my kill-o-watt).