Wichita area light show locations

Hey, all you Wichita and surrounding area light show folks. Last year I noticed an individual posting about visiting the local areas light shows. So I thought if you have a show in the Wichita area how bout posting your location, info, days, hrs, that your show will be running. Maybe we can all take a moment to admire other folks work this year. I'll start the ball rolling.

1462 Coolidge (North Riverside area) 224 channels 80,000 lights running 06:00 to 10:30 Sun-Thurs. and 06:00 to 11:00 Fri and Sat

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Steve,

Loved your show last year and can't wait to see this years show. Our inlaws live on the corner of 13th. & Garland. Seeing your show is what got us motivated to try to do one ourselves.

Ours is at 7507 W. Barrington, (near 21st. & Ridge) 64 channels and 19000 lights running 5:30 to 10:00 Sun-Thurs and 5:30 to 11:00 Fri and Sat.

Thanks, Dave

I can sure tell you 10 ways to do stuff wrong, but let me know and I'll try to help. Checked your video and it look like you do a great job. I'm resequencing Sarajevo and Wizards this year. My attempts in the past were ok, but once you've seen your show a few times your really able to determine what works and what doesn't. Hopefully some of the changes I've made for this years show look as good as I hope.

I'm sure yours will look great again this year.

I finally got started building window frames & trees for the yard this weekend. I kept putting it off waiting for the cooler weather to get here.

The programming is the part that bogs me down. I have 2 songs done and another one half way. I was hoping to have at least 5 songs total this year. Good thing there's a few weeks left before time to set up.

Yea, I know what your mean. As you add more channels the sequencing gets pretty crazy. I've added 5 new songs and updated a few more for this season. Running with 224 channels and It can take me up to 30 to 40 hrs to work through a 3 minute song. Right now I'm completely redoing Wizards and Sarajevo and I'm about finished. If your like me once you've sequenced a song and watched it over the holidays you always want to improve it for next years show. My problem is I have a hard time retiring songs from year to year. I mean really, what do you do with a dozen songs? Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Steve an Dave, this is Melvin Stoddard. I live at 727 No. Golden Hills, 119th west and central two blocks east then north. Steve i met you at the ham in KC. I would like to get together with either of you and talk. Dave i saw your display last year pretty cool. I am going to have 64 channels . Been writing since Feb. have about 17 songs done . Let me know and i ll come by either place or meet somewhere.

Hi Steve & Dave. THis is Melvin Stoddard. I live at 727 N. GOlden Hills in Wichita, 119th west and Central, 2 blocks east then north. Steve, I met you at HAM in KC. Dave, I went by your display last year -- pretty cool. I'd like to get together some time with either of you, meet somewhere, or at your place and just talk Christmas stuff.

Hey Guys-

I'm seeing posts about Wichita, and since I'm a short 40 min away, I will make some trips down (on my few days off during the holidays) to see some cool shows from what it sounds like.

Curious to what program you run. I know Steve runs AL, but not sure about the rest of ya'll. I sequence using LOR and have been doing so for people for 3 yrs now. If I can be of any assistance with ideas just shoot me a message. I'm not going to have a display of my own this year (still living in a apartment) but with my average customer running 128 channels this year, I would be hard pressed to have my own show.

But next year I plan to have my own place and am going to be asking for controllers and extension cords for Christmas this year!

Lyman

We do have a few shows in Hutchinson, which is just up the road aways.

Mel and Dave, I'll send you my phone number. We can get together any time. Starting to get ramped up for Halloween. I'm going to run 224 channels for Christmas and I've got 5 new songs and resequenced two more and brought a few more up to fit the new arches I've added. I'm free most any night, but right now I've got my second car loaned out to my son. So if you want to start by swinging by here, maybe we can get together at each others place and look at layout and stuff we've been building.

Steve,

Just logged in and saw your post. I haven't been checking here as often as work has been crazy the last couple of weeks. I did get the roof & garage lights done this weekend. Three colors all cut and tied together with shingle tabs on all the bulbs. I changed over to LED bulbs and checked it with my kill a watt and the LED's make the power requirements so much easier. Now I wish I had more money to switch everything over to LED.

Lyman,

I'm using AL also. Not near as good as Steve but I'm hoping this years show will be quite a bit better than what I had last year.

I'm working on a new Halloween sequence. I've got some repairs to do on my arches and my 8 ft striped trees and of course anything that doesn't work when we drag it out. I've received LEDs from Paul in K.C. , but I've been unable to get my order from LED Holiday Lighting for the second year. Kind of frustrating, but since they owe me money from 2009 I'll just have to keep after them till something gets resolved. Guess I may order some more stuff from K.C. to make up for what I'm missing. I'm trying to move to 100% LED. All an all I'm ready to get Halloween up and then I'm going to start putting up my Christmas stuff. Kind of ran out of time last year.

Below is a short list of Wichita area light shows.

1. 727 No. Golden Hills, 119th west and central two blocks east then north

2. 1462 Coolidge (North Riverside area) 224 channels 80,000 lights running 06:00 to 10:30 Sun-Thurs. and 06:00 to 11:00 Fri and Sat

3. 7507 W. Barrington, (near 21st. & Ridge) 64 channels and 19000 lights running 5:30 to 10:00 Sun-Thurs and 5:30 to 11:00 Fri and Sat.

4. Lights on St Paul located at St Paul and Second street (I believe)

Hey guys, my Halloween show is up and running. If your out and about run by and let me know what you think. Running on two controllers with 4 songs. It take me a couple of afternoons to get it up and running. Always makes me wonder why the Christmas light show take four of five weeks to build.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve,

We went by and watched the halloween show and I think it looks pretty darn good. I'm planning on trying something like that next year. We have decorated for halloween before but never any lights. Usually just do a cemetary and a few monsters here and there.

Once again great work.

• 2 weeks later...

4620 S Sycamore (5 blocks east of Seneca on 45th ST S then 4 houses down on the east side of street)

I work with Davester40 well i am a worker and he is one of the bosses but not my boss

This is my first year and i am starting small and seeing if i can do it.

Well, I'm not in Wichita, but somewhat close, in Hutchinson. So many people travel back and forth quite often. If any of you are making a trip this way during the season be sure to stop by and take a look at mine! Last year was my first year for LOR with 80 channels. I started out with 48 and quickly realized that was not nearly enough for what all I usually put up, let alone what I needed to add to make it look good when sequenced to music! This year I've ended up with 160 channels but "only" have 136 used for my main display in front. Want to add 16 channels to my display in the backyard too. I've started putting up lights, but it's going slow so far because work is keeping me busy! I'm going to be putting out my 1,000 watt flood lights to allow me to put stuff up more easily after dark!

1004 College Lane. Just about 2 blocks straight east of Hutchinson High School. College Ln is in between 13th and 14th avenues off of Severance. Ya can't miss it when the lights are on! haha!