Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
JediKnight2

Lowes...

it's starting...Lowes had some Halloween stuff out today, mostly blow ups, but they did have some skull heads, props and limited lights out...

I keep visiting our stores and so far Big Lotsd was first, Michaels Craft Stores had a very limited amount, but everyone else Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Lowes still don't have anything out yet in my area. But I'm still watching and waiting. Even the Spirit Halloween store near me won't be opening until mid-week the first or second week in September.

Still nothing at Wal-Mart. not even a sign of an area for Halloween Decor!

Haven't been back to Lowes, Target or K-Mart as yet.

K-Mart was at least had started "clearing their area" for the Halloween goodies about a week after Big Lots had a good bit out already, but BL still didn't have everything they usually carry out.

Walgreen's has started putting theirs out, very slowly, but they are working on it.

Swung by Target today and they had all the school stuff GONE...just bare floor and shelves with a sign that says something like check back, something new coming soon...which is their Halloween stuff...I guess by Tuesday of next week most of the big box stores will have their stuff out.

In Orlando, FL I went by several stores today (Tuesday 08-31-2010):

K-mart - Bare floor and Shelves, same as it was near the beginning of August This is the one at Tuskawilla Rd. and Red Bug lake Road in Winter Springs.

Target - The one near me is undergoing a major makeover University Blvd. and Goldenrod Road), no items out and not sure where thye will be putting them this year as the area they always sat in next to the garden center is now ALL GROCERY ITEMS! Also checked the one at Ovideo MarketPlace Mall - nothing there either.

LOWES - extrmely limited, only had an end cap with some items on display, with just a small portion for items to be purchased. On Red Bug Lake Road (across from Ovideo MarketPlace mall)

Michaels Crafts - Not too bad, they a lot of nice stuff at. Red Bug lake Road - same parking lot area as Lowes is in.

Dollar Tree - (Everythings $1.00 or less store) Had a fairly decent selection for Halloween. Bought quite a few more tombstones for my cemetery and a "Dead Zone" sign I'm going to try and put lights in. Oviedo MarketPlace Mall. NOTE: Spencers has closed their store in this mall. It's GONE!

Walgreen's - only one so far has put out any Halloween Decor, the one at Lakemont Avenue and Aloma Ave (SR 426) was the only one that had a "limited" amount at presently. The others I stopped at: Dodd Road and Red Bug Lake Road had nothing but some candy related items, same with the one at Palmetto Ave and Aloma Ave (SR 426).

Big Lots - had quite a bit more items out, but didn't find anything this time that fascinated me or stood out. On Howell Branch Road and Semoran Blvd. (SR 436)

Spirit Halloween Store - still closed as of the date of this posting (in Casselberry on SR 436, near 17-92)

Wal-Mart - Casselberry Store on Semoran Blvd. and one at East Colonial Drive (near Union Park/Bithlo), neither have anything out or an area cleared for anything.

Edited by LOR-CF

halloween Express opened here the other day and saw the one in the mall preparing. Lowes though had their buttler and a few animated Gemmy products, but the shelves were cleared and preparing to setup the Halloween goodies, we are making some arches and I need some Orange lights (LED) and hoping for a good deal.

halloween Express opened here the other day and saw the one in the mall preparing. Lowes though had their buttler and a few animated Gemmy products, but the shelves were cleared and preparing to setup the Halloween goodies, we are making some arches and I need some Orange lights (LED) and hoping for a good deal.

Best Deal on Orange Lights that I've found is at Big Lots, $2.50 for a 50 light (incandescent) string. I just about cleared out the Big Lots of all their Orange lights near me! They also have 60 Orange LED's, but believe they are around $6.00/box.

for 60 LED orange that's not too bad, I may think about that, Lowes had a pretty good deal last year on mixed for $5 with a $10 off for $50 making them on $4 a box roughly, I'm hoping for that but it's a pain to reange them all to individual strings.

When you bought the tombstones at Dollar Tree, could you buy them individually for $1 each? I saw the website and it said you had to buy a case of 60, but that may have been just online.

I'm going to check out some stores this weekend and hopefully get some shopping done. If I learned anything last year, it's buy anything that you need early!

Right now my plan is to have a static display for most of October and hopefully pull some Light-O-Rama animations together for the night of halloween only.

When you bought the tombstones at Dollar Tree, could you buy them individually for $1 each? I saw the website and it said you had to buy a case of 60, but that may have been just online.

I'm going to check out some stores this weekend and hopefully get some shopping done. If I learned anything last year, it's buy anything that you need early!

Right now my plan is to have a static display for most of October and hopefully pull some Light-O-Rama animations together for the night of halloween only.

I have never been to the Dollar Tree Website, but I do know that their online sales are in Bulk/Wholesale... So it would make since that they would want you to buy a LOT of 60 because being a Dollar Store, just selling ONE little styrofoam tombstone for $1 and the cheap shipping for that Tombstone is just not feasable for a corporation... So by selling in "Bulk" online Dollar Tree is able to make a little in the process.

so you are probably right they want you to buy 60 online, but if you go to a physical store you can buy them individually! :)

Went into Target today and they were putting Halloween stuff out...I only saw some costumes, pumpkin carvers, cookie cutters, etc....should be up by tomorrow or so....Walmart on the other hand didn't have ANY space cleared nor any semblance of getting Halloween stuff out any time soon....

I went to lowes again today.They don't have much of anything this year & won't be getting anymore according to a worker I talked to.

Kmart had the tinkerbell inflatable which I snagged for my granddaughter LOL & some other inflatables.They have 3 or 4 aisles cleared so it should all be there soon.I hope they get some good molds in the store versus having to buy them online.

Didn't get a chance to check walmart yet but they are always slower than the rest.

Absolutely, buy one or buy as many as you want in the stores for $1.00 each!

! I bought one hanging sign (Dead Zone) and 5 Tombstones. See photo's below. (NOTE: I painted these with different colors of Glow in the Dark paint (yellow, green, orange and white), they did not come as they show up in the photo's.) Thes tombstones are aproximately 14-1/2 inches tall, so they are small. I bought them to intermix with my larger ones.

I also added some battery operated Orange LED lights to the sign. Which didn't come out as well as I had hoped. But for $1.00, easy and cheap enough to replace and try again. LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36672[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]36673[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]36674[/ATTACH]

Edited by LOR-CF

Thanks for the pictures! I'll try to head to Dollar Tree this weekend to check it out. Do you have any suggestions on a good place to go to get reasonably priced larger tombstones? I'm starting a graveyard from scratch this year, and I have a long and narrow yard, so I'm hoping to fill it in as well as I can while still saving most of my decorating budget for christmas.

Did Dollar Tree have anything else good for an outdoor halloween display?

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the pictures! I'll try to head to Dollar Tree this weekend to check it out. Do you have any suggestions on a good place to go to get reasonably priced larger tombstones? I'm starting a graveyard from scratch this year, and I have a long and narrow yard, so I'm hoping to fill it in as well as I can while still saving most of my decorating budget for christmas.

Did Dollar Tree have anything else good for an outdoor halloween display?

Thanks for the help!

I have bought most of my Larger Tombstones at Walgreens, they usually have two sizes of them, one is about 2 to 2-1/2' tall and the others I think are about 3 to 3-1/2' tall. The medium sized are $4.99(? not sure, could be $3.99) each or 3 for $10, the larger ones are $5.99(? not sure of this price presently) or 2 for $10.00. I have also bought them at Big Lots, but didn't really see any this year that were "single", what they had was a graveyard kit, but not sure of the price, I have also picked them up at Wal-Mart and K-Mart, but they usually cost me a lot more than Walgreen's variety. But sometimes you have to pay a few $ more to get a good variety for your cemetery scene.

My biggest job this year was painting the fencing, actually a pet restraining type fence, all black, for my cemetery scene this year. Took me 4 days and about 40 cans of Flat Black Spray paint )Wal-Marts cheap .96 cent paint) just for the fence and another 15-20 cans to paint my 50 wooden stakes and two wooden boxes to hold up the fence, props and other decorations! Not to mention painting all the plastic outlet covers black to put in exposed female cord ends, as well as the back (female pass through) of the male cords to help keep moisture/water out of them!

Edited by LOR-CF

I always get my big stones at wal-greens...usually when they have a sale. Just look everywhere. A lot of times if spirit ans other places get some in that are less that perfect they will clearance then and you can get a deal but you have to snag them first. If you hit the chipped places with a little color it just looks like a real crumbled stone.

You can get the foam siding sheets from lowes and make your own if you are crafty an if you are not you can fake it. Anyone can cut out a simple tombstone shape...do that out of the large foam and use liquid nails and attach some of those smaller dollar store foam plaques for embellishment and paint it out.

Just checked Lowes and Target.

Lowes has a small end area with Halloween stuff out. Inflatables range from $40-$150. I saw some light-up skeleton bones for $15 that I think I'm going to go back for later. Lowes also had 25% off clearance on outdoor furniture, grills, etc. It looks like Christmas may be out in a few weeks.

Target had tons of halloween candy, but not much else for halloween. They had their whole back to school section with empty shelfs and signs saying to check back soon.

I'm going to check out Dollar Tree and Walgreens for tombstones later this weekend. Lowes had some for $7.50, but it sounds like I can find them other places cheaper.

One thing that I don't get, why do stores charge so much for lights for holidays other than christmas? They had orange lights that are pretty much the same thing as orange christmas lights, but with a different package. Thay charges $4 for them! You can get the same thing at christmas time for $2.50

Nope still a week atleast until Halloween rolls out at Walmart. We are still getting it in at my store. We probably have 15 pallets of candy and 6 pallets of decor in the back. We have the "Gameday" theme right now so that has to run atleast a week before things start to change over.

I went by Dollar Tree today and was surprised to find their halloween section very picked over! I only found 2 gravestones and they were the same. I bought one, and I may go back for the other and just put them far apart. I also got an "Enter if you Dare" sign similar to LOR-CF's Dead Zone sign. I also got some rope with skeleton heads to possibly use as a fence.

I went by Dollar Tree today and was surprised to find their halloween section very picked over! I only found 2 gravestones and they were the same. I bought one, and I may go back for the other and just put them far apart. I also got an "Enter if you Dare" sign similar to LOR-CF's Dead Zone sign. I also got some rope with skeleton heads to possibly use as a fence.

Fortunately the "Dollar Tree" I went to is (unfortunately) in a dying Mall, lots of stores have closed and left, so it still gets quite busy (Dollar Tree), but I lucked out and got in right after they had put their goodies out, so I got to be pretty much the first customer to "pick and choose" from what they had. Checked out some of the other Dollar Trees, and found like you, they had been picked over as well. This is why I always tell my wife, if I have the fund$ to buy what I see, I buy it when I see it, because it may not be there later if I wait!

I speak from experience on that one, opted to wait for a lower price, but then none were avaialble anywhere and wouldn't be until the following year! So now, I am more apt to buy OFF-SALE and PAY REGULAR PRICES for anuything I want, mainly because I have MISSED OUT far too many times when waiting it out and then either couldn't get the item I really wanted or worse, they wouldn't be making it any longer and would possibly never be able to acquire it!

Thanks to e-bay and many of my fellow PC Members, I have a lot of Blowmolds I always wanted for BOTH my Halloween and Christmas Display, but at the time, never had the funds to get them when they were actually sold IN stores, instead of this ON-LINE stuff so many stores do now, which I really detest RETAIL stores doing this!

Why?

Because I WANT TO SEE THE REAL/ACTUAL PRODUCT up close and personal so I know if it will definitely fit my needs or where I may want to utilize it. So many on-line "retail store" descriptions are too many times(in my opinion) DO NOT DESCRIBE or GIVE YOU DETAILS that the actual physical box does or they are just plain INCORRECT!

Although sometimes one won't know this UNLESS they've seen the item(s) in person previously somewhere. And this is the inherrent reason I hate retail stores FORCING me to buy some items I may want through an on-line site, mainly because then I pay SHIPPING and HANDLING CHARGES THAT ARE NOT REFUNDED if the item IS INCORRECTLY described. And that's my major complaint, if stores sell it on-line IT DANG WELL SHOULD ALSO BE IN THEIR PHYSICAL STORES as well (again, my opinion). And if their description is WRONG they should HAVE TO REFUND ALL CHARGES, INCLUDING SHIPPING and HANDLING FEES! Not my fault if I took their word for something and bought it, paid all that and then find it's NOT WHAT I WANTED and had to get a REFUND!

So if I don't know what it is, how it works, and cant view it in person and just can't check it out somewhere OFF-LINE, I usually (9 out of 10 times) won't buy it! If there is a photo that references another item that gives me a reference to see how tall or wide an item is, then I may consider it (that's the 1 out of 10 times) I will usually buy the item.

Most stores I've contacted about mis-information (nor did they correct the info!) or wanted more info couldn't give me any other additional information I requested. Then they expect me to buy it, sight unseen and no further info on it I'm requesting? Don't think so!

Ah drat, sorry about that, got a wee bit off topic with that rant, but it's just one of the things that really irks me so much today about buying and looking for items I may wish to buy for ANYTHING, not just Halloween or Christmas!

Edited by LOR-CF
correct spelling, may not catch all of them...but I try

^That's kind of what happened to me at christmas last year. I did some shopping before thanksgiving and put about 1/2 of my display up, then I went on a vacation over the break. We came back and I went to do the rest of my shopping and all the stores by me were completely sold out of the clear minis and lots of other stuff. I ended up having to drive across town and I bought the rest of the clear minis they had.

I guess that was a lesson learned last year, and if stores are so picked over from halloween already, that's a bad sign for this coming year.

I went into Lowe's and all they had was one endcap with Halloween stuff so I asked when they planned to put out the rest and they said that's all there is Christmas stuff will be about a month away.