Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
jgwood

A big Thanks

I would like to thank Carrie for having a great event once again.I had a blast.I would also like to thank every one that etended Becausu you all also make it a fun time

Thanks Gregg Jones

winkelbottoms.com

Thanks a Million Carrie for letting all of us come and invade your house and yard for the week. It was absolutely great. I really learned a lot and it was great finally meeting all these people I have been talking to for years on here. This is really a great community we have here.

Thank you Carrie for letting all us Jerks take over your yard and neighborhood. Hopefully we didn't ruin your reputation....LOL

I know when I was carrying stuff back to my car there were a lot of double takes from the people driving by:)

I also want to thank Carrie and her Family for the great hositality. I have helped organize events simular in size and know how much work it is! Bravo!!

I also had a Great time meeting all the "jerks" and all the other wonderful people that I ran into there!!

On the way home on the plane, I was thinking......( which is dangerous)..... On your registration you only metioned the "Wonderful non-Cozzi style PIZZA " Friday night and the Yummy Lunch Saturday.. wait I think we ate 3 wonderful meals!! That BarBQue was some of the best I have had in quite awhile along with Chuck's ABT's!!!

So..... There will be a "care package" Via PayPAL sent to your email to cover my share of expenses for "The Last Supper" that IMHO was not a scheduled included meal, and for your and your families generous hospitality! Or it just could be to cover tolerating all us of Jerks in one place for a long period of time and help cover all the Beer Chuck drank!

If others want to contribute to the "Last Supper Fund" please feel free to PM me..

That is my way of saying THANK YOU for a Great MINI, great company, great fun!! It was worth every penny spent!

Edited by mnkyboy

Carrie,

Where to start.

I'll share that on Friday evening I told the two men in your life they were saints for graciously welcoming all of us into your/their home. Truly they deserve kudos for that.

My approach in attending ANY conference is that if I come back with a SINGLE new idea it was a good conference. I have attended two conferences and in each case, I have had difficulty sleeping Saturday night because of all of the ideas that are churning around in my mind. A number of those ideas have evolved into things that have made it into my display. It is due to your work I gotten to meet some wonderful people who are more than willing to exchange knowledge and ideas. By organizing these events you have gone above and beyond and I for one owe you a great debt.

Thanks most sincerely,

Tom

Edited by basis21b

Carrie,

Thank you very much for a great time. As I told you in person, I really like the social interaction that you had built into the weekend. It was great to put faces with the names and learn a little bit about the people we "talk" with all the time. Thanks for opening up your home. I guess the good news is that you shouldn't have to cut the yard for the rest of the year as we pretty well trampled it!

Holy cow what a weekend!

Thanks again Carrie for hosting - you went above, beyond, and then some. Thanks to everyone else who came, shared, socialized, and inspired.

This was the first "big" PLUS-like event I've been to since PLUS 2005, and I had some catching up to do and many new faces to put with online personas. I enjoyed every minute of it.

I, too, have a ton of ideas swirling around my head, with the realization that I really should wait until 2011 to implement most of them :)

Thank you Carrie for another fantastic mini! The food was great and the presentations were very informitive. My head still hurts from all I've learned. LOL

I got to hold several long conversions with many smart people and I hope I can remember half of what I've learned.

Thanks again Carrie.

Carrie...

It was such a pleasure to meet you, the Blow Mold expert, in person! Thank you so much for a wonderful event that brought together so many decorating enthusiasts from far and near...and thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing me to share my music with them.

Not only did I get to do that, but I got to meet a lot of great people, learned how to refurbish my sad blow molds, got some terrific new ones from Chris, and just had a really, really great time that was well worth the trip and sleeping in my van last night.

I know you must be exhausted but I hope you are feeling good because a lot of people learned a lot, laughed a lot, and shared a lot, all because of you.

You're the best, and I'm really lucky to call you my friend. Oh, and by the way, tell Dan that I will be waiting to hear about his touring schedule...

Carrie,

Thank you very much for hosting this great party!!! I had a lot of fun and it was great meeting so many people that share the same great hobby. The presentations were awesome and the people that put all this together deserve a round of applause. I also want to thank your husband and son for putting up with us. My 16 year old stepson was giving me a hard time for going to a christmas light convention until I explained just how much technology is involved in this stuff. It isn't just lights anymore. Thanks again!

Carrie,

Thank you for hosting the mini. Teri and I are new to the decorating scene and meeting and listening to everyone got us motivated for this year.

Craig

Thanks again Carrie! I'm sad that I had to leave early, but I had fun until I left. I learned quite a bit of stuff, had some fun and met all of you crazy people!

Thanks, Carrie, David and Dean for hosting such a wonderful event. Everyone was great, it was so nice to visit and see old friends and make new ones! I learned so much my head hurt, too, like others have said. Have to work on a train and dmx; lasers and pixel screens are out of my tax bracket for now....

A very big thanks to everyone who went to the expense and took the time to come to Chicago. It's interesting to note that there were people here from 18 states and the UK. WOW, blew me away. I hosted this mini, but it was each of you who made it the special and fun event it was. Having an opportunity to meet a lot of great people who I hadn't met before and to reconnect with many old friends who I rarely get to see, was truly fantastic.

There were a lot of people who helped make this mini the good time it was, they deserve all of our thanks..you all know who you are. If I were to try to list everyone, this post would end up sounding like an Academy Awards thingy (and you'd want to get out the hook!) So to each of you who helped prior to, during, and after, a heartfelt thanks to each and everyone. (You all should see the recycle bins..I've never seen so many empties in my life!)

The last of the attendees left today, one by car (loaded with blow molds) and the others flew out tonight at 9:00. I've been cleaning up since, thinking about the weekend and how much fun it was. It's back to work tomorrow morning but when I do my day dreaming at lunch, I'll be thinking about all the cool new stuff I learned this weekend.

Again, thanks to you all, this was really your event and you made some fantastic memories for me and my family. :)

Carrie:

Just wanted to add my thanks to you for hosting this. If this truely was the last one for you I'm glad I did attend even moreso looking back. It was great meeting everyone on here I talk to or even have just been reading their postings. And the information gained will also help in many ways. Also want to make sure to say thanks to everyone that helped keep my daughter Annika occupied. Amazed at how many of your names my little sponge remembered on the drive home as she wanted to see everyone again. A very positive impression across the board.

Lenny Ruel

Thanks Carrie and crew for a great time in Chicago. Everything was very well planned and you guys did a great job, as always. I really don't think we could have gotten anything else in that van, it was jam packed. It was great meeting new people and seeing old friends. I also learned a lot, and enjoyed all of the great food. It was well worth the drive and I can't wait until the next time.

Bill

Carrie,

Thanks so much for everything you did for us. This was the best weekend i have had in a long time. It was nice meeting all you Jerks, and thanks so much for treating my wife well. She had a great time. I was also really surprised that Chuck H was there and he really isn't a Jerk. Since Carrie is no longer going to do this i hope to see all of you at ICE next year. Also in the words of the great Bill Hoffman from Friday night. " I've never closed down a mini before."

Pizza from NJ is better than that of Chicago.

That is all.

You have no taste, particularly in your mouth, Ed! ;) You need to work on that..

Carrie:

Just wanted to add my thanks to you for hosting this. If this truely was the last one for you I'm glad I did attend even moreso looking back. It was great meeting everyone on here I talk to or even have just been reading their postings. And the information gained will also help in many ways. Also want to make sure to say thanks to everyone that helped keep my daughter Annika occupied. Amazed at how many of your names my little sponge remembered on the drive home as she wanted to see everyone again. A very positive impression across the board.

Lenny Ruel

Lenny, Annika is an absolute delight, as cute as a button! If you ever decide that you want to tour Chicago, give me a ring. I'd love to babysit!