Advice for Rainbow Flood holders.....

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm curious - what do people mount these PC power supplies in? All the cheap outdoor rated boxes I use are too shallow for the deep PC power supplies.

I simply build a small wood box. Chaulk the corners, paint w/ black semi gloss - done. Drive a small piece of conduit in the ground, drill a couple of holes in the top end and attach the box w/ drywall screws. Works fine.

I'm curious - what do people mount these PC power supplies in? All the cheap outdoor rated boxes I use are too shallow for the deep PC power supplies.

I struggled with that, and ended up using a plastic office supply storage container, with a bit of extra weatherstripping added. It ain't pretty but it's stood through 2 seasons so far...

Here's more info on mine. Note the pics show DB-9 connectors which used to power my MR-16's. Last year I switched over to using RJ-45 connectors with the same wiring standard as the Rainbow products. That way I can interchangeably use my MR-16 banks, Rainbow Wall Runners, Rainbow Floods, etc. Here's the link: http://www.plymouthlights.com/mr16howto2.htm

Edited by tfischer

If you can find an old PC, you can also use the power supply.

Maybe a stupid question, but I don't know the answer so it isn't stupid to me! :P

I have a few of PC power supplies around. But question, how do you power the thing up without it being connected to a computer?

Maybe a stupid question, but I don't know the answer so it isn't stupid to me! :P

I have a few of PC power supplies around. But question, how do you power the thing up without it being connected to a computer?

The link in my last post above explains how to do it.

All orders of the DIY Rainbow Floods have shipped as of 3 pm today. All the Rainbow Brains have shipped as well. Assembled floods should be here next week sometime and will ship out ASAP. Also, there are quite a few hundred Rainbow Flood PCBs in production, so we should be in good shape from now to Christmas.

nevermind.. I was looking at an order I had placed elsewhere. Sorry for the confusion.

If you send me your order number I can double check for you. ([email protected])

However, if you purchased assembled floods they didn't ship. Anything else in your order would have shipped out though.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a thought I had and need input from those experienced in electronics (and the rainbow floods specifically). I have some of the epoxy that is used to put a thick cover over finished projects (cures transparent). Could I encase the rainbow flood in the epoxy and therefore have a waterproof enclosure? What I don't know is whether the heat from the resistors would cause a problem (inadequate cooling?) or whether the resin itself will yellow with exposure to sunlight. I realize the Cat5 connectors would probably need to be replaced with a hardwired cord - but that's okay. Any words of caution before I commit one of my floods to a plastic tomb?

Here's a thought I had and need input from those experienced in electronics (and the rainbow floods specifically). I have some of the epoxy that is used to put a thick cover over finished projects (cures transparent). Could I encase the rainbow flood in the epoxy and therefore have a waterproof enclosure? What I don't know is whether the heat from the resistors would cause a problem (inadequate cooling?) or whether the resin itself will yellow with exposure to sunlight. I realize the Cat5 connectors would probably need to be replaced with a hardwired cord - but that's okay. Any words of caution before I commit one of my floods to a plastic tomb?

What would you do if there comes a time to replace a LED or resistor?

I wouldn't use epoxy... That isn't a good idea. I've use to me an Electronics Manufacturing Engineer (22 years) and epoxy isn't a good idea.

You can use conformal coating on a board to help reduce moisture on a board. Before you spray it on, you need to make sure the board is fully functional. It is possible to repair a board that has been sprayed with conformal coating, it just very difficult. This is what is used in the professional Electronics Assembly industry.

Also, you may want to mask off the LEDs. I never sprayed LEDs with conformal coating, so I am not sure how the light would transmit through them.

Edited by Ed_Faranda