Can we go too far?

Can a display be too much?  

1. 1. Can a display be too much?

• Yes
    • Never!

During a discussion that happened the other day, a person I was talking with brought out how "over the top" some displays are. It got me thinking, can we go too far?

Is there a limit as to what the viewing public can take in a residential display?

Please express your opinions.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said yes...I do think there is a fine line that on one side can make your display full but great and the other side just being plain cluttered and hard to see each element of the display...

Land is the key...The more land you have to work with the more you can spread your display out and make it even more organized...

I do a modest (by most people here's standards!) static display that could definately take a lot more elements (I have the room, just not the budget). That being said, I've seen displays so packed that there's no walking room in the yard, and while bright and colorful, the eye has no idea where to look.

I don't have a "tiny" yard but it's by no stretch of the imagination large. I guess you could consider it cluttered because I have so many different elements. Arches, Marty fan, mega tree, poles and mintrees. I shoehorn a lot in there but I fix that up with my sequencing. I try to spread everything out and not have so much going on at the same time that it's hard to watch. I try to use a lot of variety.

I do a modest (by most people here's standards!) static display that could definately take a lot more elements (I have the room, just not the budget). That being said, I've seen displays so packed that there's no walking room in the yard, and while bright and colorful, the eye has no idea where to look.

BINGO! Right on!

I'm in the air on this one (if that's possible).

I told a friend that I liked his videos from a previous year compared to last year. The best explanation I could come up with was that there was too much going on in last year's show.

But on the flip side, I suspect most of us think of children when we think of Christmas. I highly doubt there are many kids out there that would look at any display and say there are too many decorations

I don't have a "tiny" yard but it's by no stretch of the imagination large. I guess you could consider it cluttered because I have so many different elements. Arches, Marty fan, mega tree, poles and mintrees. I shoehorn a lot in there but I fix that up with my sequencing. I try to spread everything out and not have so much going on at the same time that it's hard to watch. I try to use a lot of variety.

Well I voted Never, but then I'm just getting started in this, so that opinion could change over time, but have doubts! I agree with what was said in the quote above!

Currently in my workspace inside my house, my display is definitely "cluttered", but outside when it all gets spread out, that's when I'll know for sure if I "overdid" anything! LOL

Not poking fun at this guy b/c he is a friend of mine online but would you call this overdoing it? Just curious.

Liquori1.jpg

I say never for the fact of the picture above. I'm like a 10 year old and think that's awesome. I knew a guy here who was like that. Had a small yard and crammed it all in and I loved it..sadly last year was the last year of seeing that. He passed away on Christmas eve.

So no never!

You are on to something: http://www.holidaycoro.com/2010LSHWorkshop/Display%20Design.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

Never If you can't go big why bother

Because it's not about size at all. You don't have to have a huge display for people to like it. It's more about quality. And could you do us a favor and knock it off with the color and large font size. It's really annoying.

I'm gonna go off the deep end and agree with OKLights -- Every one thinks and views things differently. I personally am a neat freak. I think some displays around here are cluttered or messy, but that's my opinion. Others may think that my display is too "perfect" and needs some more pizazz. Go right ahead...I won't stop you.