Can we go too far?

Can a display be too much?  

1. 1. Can a display be too much?

• Yes
    • Never!

My first reaction is to say "yes". I understand the visual appeal of a "nicely done" display. However...someone brought up the point of looking at it through a child's eyes. Suddenly it occurred to me that to a child, all those amazing lights will reside in his/her memory forever!! When it comes to all things Christmas, the children rule! So...I decided to vote "never". What might look cluttered to me, looks absolutely unforgettable to a child!! Let's be honest here....Lights are lights. And when I'm driving around with my 4 year old, he makes me turn down every road that has even a single string of lights visible from the car!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the problem is defining "too far". Nobody's actually written that any display is too far, just cluttered. I'm sure some of my neighbors think my house is cluttered with lights, but on pc there is a much higher threshold of too far. I don't think light count or display elements should be defined by acreage of your house, that being said you have to realize people will judge your display from their perspective not from yours.

My first reaction is to say "yes". I understand the visual appeal of a "nicely done" display. However...someone brought up the point of looking at it through a child's eyes. Suddenly it occurred to me that to a child, all those amazing lights will reside in his/her memory forever!! When it comes to all things Christmas, the children rule! So...I decided to vote "never". What might look cluttered to me, looks absolutely unforgettable to a child!! Let's be honest here....Lights are lights. And when I'm driving around with my 4 year old, he makes me turn down every road that has even a single string of lights visible from the car!!

Mike,

Very well said.

I voted yes because like many here I have been around long enough to see some pretty wacky stuff....robots and the hulk make no sense in a christmas display...

I love over the top decorating but at some point it gets so crammed in there I don't like the look of it. I like homes like Carrie's that have big choirs that are set up to look like choirs but those big displays that have choirs that just look like an army of choir peeps in the yard...no I don't like. I don't see a need for 20 of the same blow mold unless it's theme specific.

I guess you have gone too far if you can stack up all of your decorations in the yard and can't see your house...until then you are good.