Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Bill V

Anybody stringing lights?

today im starting my halloween lights and from here on out i slowly add in christmas stuff like the arches and things. The day after halloween i take all the halloween down and start all my christmas stuff. i like to start early as i can here in chicago because it gets so cold here and i just cant play in the cold like i used to lol..

Started Halloween. Plan to add more Halloween this weekend. Light the bushes, put out the lighted pumpkims, etc. With Georgia Temps finally getting more normal for this time of year I plan to start wrapping trees and the roofline next weekend. Hopefully we stay in the 70's to low 80's. I was going to start last week when I had the week off but it was 90+ everyday. I feared if the lights sat on my roof with that type of temp for too long it would damage them.

We are finally going to start in the next week or so. I had a long recovery from back surgery in june and thought about doing something smaller scale. we actually planned on starting on Nov. 1st and going with whatever we could get up by thanksgiving.

But...... Everywhere i go and everyone i talk to is asking what bigger and better things we are going to come up with. We have some ideas for something new, but if it gets completed or not is a different story.

There will be lights in Pittsburgh !!!

Bob

We are finally going to start in the next week or so. I had a long recovery from back surgery in june and thought about doing something smaller scale. we actually planned on starting on Nov. 1st and going with whatever we could get up by thanksgiving.

But...... Everywhere i go and everyone i talk to is asking what bigger and better things we are going to come up with. We have some ideas for something new, but if it gets completed or not is a different story.

Bob

Bob, glad to hear your back surgery went well. Wondered where you had disappeared too. Can't wait to see this years display.

Going to start wrapping some trees this weekend. Been a busy summer, built 24 tomato cage trees of various sizes, built gutter edge and roof edge RGBW lights. Still have tons of work to do. Oh yea then the Saturday after Thanksgiving I am taking most of my display and will be part of a Christmas parade in a neighboring town. Should be a pretty cool season.

Bob

I hope your back is recovering according to the plan/schedule. I don't know if you need a full recovery or not to throw arches off of the roof. You may have to ask the Doc. Anyway, we missed you here - welcome back!

We are back with a Computerized display this year. Have been testing things in storage and getting everything ready to install. I would normally have already started but I am not adding much new stuff this year, so everything is pretty much build and just needs set into place. Will start actually hanging lights next weekend. It will be here before we know it....

We are back with a Computerized display this year. Have been testing things in storage and getting everything ready to install. I would normally have already started but I am not adding much new stuff this year, so everything is pretty much build and just needs set into place. Will start actually hanging lights next weekend. It will be here before we know it....

Hi Matt, Welcome back!

Do your plans this year include wrapping all your trees again this year? Thats an insane amount of work but I must say, nothing looks better...I have several trees that are just begging to be wrapped but I just can't spare the time, maybe some year I will give it a try. I have designed my whole display so far, with the thought of easy-up/ easy-down. I don't want to spend months setting up and another month, tearing down, especially here with the cold weather. I do spend lots of time in the summer building different display items, to help speed things along with set-up/ tear-down process and so far things have worked well. I can have everything up in 2 weekends, but usually allow for 3, just in case of losing one, due to the weather.

Need to build my 4 arch/fan units and 8 midi trees yet which should go pretty fast. I had the arches last year which are 9 channel and 9-1/2' at the base. I picked up 10' 4x4's that I'm setting them on and building the 9 channel fans under each one so I have them as a combined unit that I can leave alone and store as such. The fans are just going to be single color (red LED's)so that should be a quick project (I hope) Wanted to get the roof stuff done the last two weeks of Oct so I could use the Green Icicles for Halloween, so I'm hoping that my roofing job gets done by then as it's only two weeks off. Problem there is I can't even finish painting the trim up there as it's new gutters and everything so that will make things tight. Just wanted the ground stuff and hook up then for November as I found out last year it takes close to a week to hook everything up. Of course most of my ext cords are already built this year. Still figure setting up the mega tree and two colors on it will be a day project. Have to try the JUMP next year I think rather than up and down a ladder with a hook to string it, especially with wanting to add clear for sure to the red/green. The Chicago mini sold me on that I think.

Lenny

Hi Matt, Welcome back!

Do your plans this year include wrapping all your trees again this year? Thats an insane amount of work but I must say, nothing looks better...I have several trees that are just begging to be wrapped but I just can't spare the time, maybe some year I will give it a try. I have designed my whole display so far, with the thought of easy-up/ easy-down. I don't want to spend months setting up and another month, tearing down, especially here with the cold weather. I do spend lots of time in the summer building different display items, to help speed things along with set-up/ tear-down process and so far things have worked well. I can have everything up in 2 weekends, but usually allow for 3, just in case of losing one, due to the weather.

Hey Tim,

Yep, the plans this year do include wrapping all the trees with red, green, and clear lights. I will probably be doing that next weekend or the following weekend. I rent a lift and pick it up on Friday afternoon. I start installing lights Friday night, all day Sat and Sunday and usually finish Sunday night..... I try and put if off as long as possible to keep the squirrels from eating the wires. The only problem is I have to get the trees done early because I drive the lift around in the yard. Once I have the trees completed I can then set up the rest of the display pieces that go in and around the yard. This year will be pretty much just like the 2008 display. Maybe a few more songs. I really need up upgrade my power if I am going to add many more lights. Good to hear from you. I always enjoy hanging around here, life just gets so busy.... Have a great weekend...

Matt

Started Friday with the roof. Got about 35% done on the first day (the roof that is). Went back up today a little windy and rainy. But I got half done now. Some of my neighbors where surprised that I was starting Christmas lights this early I told them it was for halloween. Wish me luck

I built my new Holdman star in July but only got it up about 2 weeks ago. I put up my new LED blue icicle lights tonight. LOVE IT! Nothing like seeing the first lights come on. I'm finally able to do stuff that I've been thinking about since last December. I want to thank those who suggested packing away extension cords neatly and tying them up. The work I did today went faster because my cords were not a mess.